AOC G2770PQU 27-Inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"At 144Hz, motion is very smooth with no obvious ghosting or artifacting. While capabilities like LightBoost are helpful at 60Hz, we’re not sure they're really needed at the higher rates."

I completely agree. I use a benq xl2411z, and i can understand turning on the blur reduction feature at 60hz. But at 100hz and up, i just don't see the reason why. the blur reduction actually detracts from the overall experience, increases ghosting and crosstalk in particular areas of the screen. Even with modded drivers, it still doesn't seem like the best course of action.

but light reduction at around 72hz is awesome. the only issue is the flickering, but man is the picture crisp

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
What do we want!?..
- 2560x1440 144Hz ! !
When do we want it!?
- NOW ! !

From what i heard when you get close to 120Hz or above you almost can't see the tearing from no-sync at all vs G-Sync, but if it has it for little to now extra charge (like im hoping will happen with free-sync) then ok.. lol

Bowmaster

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
2560x1440 144hz, <1ms response, OLED, under $500. Maybe someday... right now to do something like that would take a few more 0's on the price tag sadly, but that would look sooooo pretty at 27-30 inches. Fun to dream!

Bowmaster

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
2560x1440 144hz, <1ms response, OLED, under $500. Maybe someday... right now to do something like that would take a few more 0's on the price tag sadly, but that would look sooooo pretty at 27-30 inches. Fun to dream!

All I ask for is a 60Hz 1080p IPS with Gsync/Freesync. Screen tearing elimination while still practical and economical. Low entry price for faster adoption by the masses.

But no, manufacturers insist on making it exclusive to the most high end/expensive models. They want to milk the most out of this tech by keeping it elusive.

"With speedy G-Sync-capable monitors starting to emerge, is the tech still a relevant choice?" What a stupid question to ask. Just about every monitor that comes with Gsync ARE 144Hz TN panels. Where its benefit is the least noticeable...

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Been gaming at 2560 x 1600 for over 4 years now and have moved to a Asus 32 inch 4K display with 2 GTX 780 Classifieds running it. Smooth as silk. 1080p is so 2008.

As I read this, the author repeatedly states that we will all have G-Sync monitors soon, and I keep wondering why we are all supposedly going to be using proprietary, costly, Nvidia only sync technology when AMD has put out an open source alternative that is free.

Are changes coming? Yes. But who wins out at this point I think is going to be up to the market, and monitors that cost $35 more are going to be at a disadvantage if they both function equally or very close to equally.

Maybe in 6 months we will be able to see both technologies side by side, and get a better idea of what each can do. But we are nowhere near being there to make this decision today.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The larger the screen the more horrible TN becomes (unless the distance is changed accordingy - But whats the point to buy a larger screen then?)

Got several different screens available and the TN based Asus Swift PG278Q is definatly the quickest but the picture quality price of a TN panel at that size is heavy, even at almost perfect monitor centered eyes its still borderline to wash out the colors/clarity at the edges. Compared to an Dell US UP3214Q (ips/igzo) or Dell US U3014 (ips) the TN panels is lightyears behind in picture quality (allthoo todays 4k@60hz screens have their issues with the 1.2a display port as their handeled as 2 screens).

So if you ask me, get two screens - One for quick fps style gaming and one for desktop / slower gaming.

So for a wishlist - An overdrive IPS panel 27-30" @ 120hz running 2560x1440(1600) and having G-sync (Ever tried an g-sync? if not - try it out, really hope Amd gets freesync to take off and Nvidia wises up and gets behind it)

mapesdhs

Distinguished
"But as long as you view the screen head-on from two or three feet away,
you probably won’t be able to tell it apart from an IPS display."

Sorry, can't agree there. I have a 27" Dell IPS 2560x1440, and meanwhile I
bought my brother a 27" Samsung TN 1920x1080. Sitting directly infront of
the Samsung, I can already see the change in colour & brightness towards
the corners & edges of the screen, as the angle is large enough to reveal
the effect despite not sitting off to one side. The Dell screen looks sooo
much nicer.

I can imagine TN panels still being reasonbly ok at 24" or below, but by 27"
the sheer size means one doesn't have to sit off-axis to see the difference.
With hindsight, if I'd known the effect was going to be that visible, I'd probably
have bought him a 24" model instead, upgraded to a 27" IPS later.

Later for my gf's PC, I bought a 24" Dell 1920x1200 IPS.

Ian.

Voytek_

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I just got this monitor (AOC G2770PQU) revied here and games like BF4 and other
shooters which I like, haven't tried driving games, look beautiful, just turn off
the Overdrive feature. Don't fall for the 27" at 1080p looks bad, its awsome. Single card setup can pump 100+ fps ( I got a gtx680 ftw 4 gig) and it shines at bf4,1080p.
This monitor is a great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.