[SOLVED] AOC monitor going to sleep prior to login

TKR99

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Ok - so I appreciate this isn't that big a problem but I'd still like to figure out what's causing it & rectify it if possible.

Monitor is an AOC G2460PF - 24 Inch FHD Gaming Monitor (I'm not a gamer tho) with a NVIDIA GForce GT 610 (?) graphics card. The issue is that when I boot up the PC and then switch the monitor on, it will start up & show the display ok, but then after about 15-30 secs - it goes on standby/sleep, and I have to then jiggle the mouse about or whatever to get it to come alive again. If I then don't login to Windows pretty quickly it'll go off again. I just happen to have a slideshow on my Lock screen which I now can't view because of this issue. However, it only happens on the Lock screen - once logged in and working it won't happen again unless the PC goes on standby.

Windows 10 fully updated, power settings (incl advanced) are all set to NEVER sleep (monitor & PC alike).

I just can't figure it out so hoping someone here can explain why it does this as I've never had it happen on any previous monitors. Thanks/

Solution
What happens if you switch the monitor on first?

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What video connection/cable is being used between GPU and monitor?

Does the problem happen if you boot into Safe Mode?

If the PC supports iGPU and you use that video connection to monitor does the problem occur?

Ralston18

Titan
What happens if you switch the monitor on first?

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What video connection/cable is being used between GPU and monitor?

Does the problem happen if you boot into Safe Mode?

If the PC supports iGPU and you use that video connection to monitor does the problem occur?

Solution

TKR99

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for responding. I've not tried putting the monitor on first I don't think, so will give that a go tomorrow.

The system is a home build running an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz processor on an MSI motherboard (I think). Running Win 10 - 21H2. 64-bit OS.

Monitor is connected via HDMI.

I've not tried it in Safe Mode so again, will check that out tomorrow.

And don't think my system can support iGPU as I've never heard of that :)

I'll update tomorrow after those couple of checks. TY.

TKR99

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
LOL - Christmas overtook me the past few days so only coming back now. I tried both your suggestions i.e. Safe Mode & switching it on first. Neither has made any difference. One thing I did spot tho that may help - I think I mentioned that I have the lock screen Slideshow running - well, it's what goes off after 15 secs or so but the monitor light stays green, so presumably I'm wrong for stating that the monitor has gone to sleep since it DOES do that at other points in the day when the PC has been idle (even tho I've nothing anywhere suggesting it should) and the light will go as expected to Amber. So now wondering if it's more perhaps some glitch in the Slideshow. So I'm going to knock that off & see whether that makes any difference. Probably be another day or two before I update again given the season!! :D

TKR99

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks so much Titan - while you maybe didn't figure out the issue directly (understandable as I'd mistaken what it was to start with!!) - you've helped me to figure out that it's actually NOT the monitor that's the problem, but rather the slideshow for some reason. It had worked fine on my previous monitor (a Dell) but appears to be unable to fully function on this one. It might be an error in one of the photos or something but at least now I've been able to resolve it (I think!!) - still working out whether it's just one folder or all that cause the problem but if it continues I'll check for a solution elsewhere.

Many thanks again :)