[SOLVED] AOC Q27G2WG4 screen turning black when set to 144hz.

Vladimir_Budinski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
I've recently bought a new monitor and it's working mostly fine, but whenever I set the refresh rate to 144hz, the screen just turns black for a few seconds, starts working again for like 2 seconds, and then just turns black permanently. I tried setting the refresh rate to 120hz and it works fine, but as soon as I go to 144hz it dies.
I can't find any drivers for this monitor, since if you go on their official website, the only model that kind of matches mine when it comes to the name is the "CQ27G2". I tried installing that driver but had no luck, and I can't find my model anywhere.
Another issue is that I have to manually change the refresh rate from 60hz to 120hz every time I change resolution, which is kind of tedious. Is there any way to save it?

More info:
-monitor connected via HDMI
-GPU: GTX 1650

Solution
According to what i have heard about this issue it's a driver issue.

Are your GPU drivers up to date ?
And have you tried another HDMI cable or any luck with Display port ?
I've recently bought a new monitor and it's working mostly fine, but whenever I set the refresh rate to 144hz, the screen just turns black for a few seconds, starts working again for like 2 seconds, and then just turns black permanently. I tried setting the refresh rate to 120hz and it works fine, but as soon as I go to 144hz it dies.
I can't find any drivers for this monitor, since if you go on their official website, the only model that kind of matches mine when it comes to the name is the "CQ27G2". I tried installing that driver but had no luck, and I can't find my model anywhere.

What resolution? It's possible you are running into HDMI bandwidth limitations. Specifically, 1400p120 requires you to drop chroma to 4:2:0 if using HDMI 1.3/1.4. It's also possible the cable you are using is an older HDMI cable and can't handle the necessary bandwidth. 1080p120 should be fine in any case, unless using an ancient (HDMI 1.2) cable.

Another issue is that I have to manually change the refresh rate from 60hz to 120hz every time I change resolution, which is kind of tedious. Is there any way to save it?

Normal in most cases; NVIDIA tends to want to default everything when changing resolution as a safety measure.

Reactions: Vladimir_Budinski

Vladimir_Budinski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
What resolution? It's possible you are running into HDMI bandwidth limitations. Specifically, 1400p120 requires you to drop chroma to 4:2:0 if using HDMI 1.3/1.4. It's also possible the cable you are using is an older HDMI cable and can't handle the necessary bandwidth. 1080p120 should be fine in any case, unless using an ancient (HDMI 1.2) cable.

Normal in most cases; NVIDIA tends to want to default everything when changing resolution as a safety measure.

Apparently yes, the HDMI I had was kinda <Mod Edit> and couldn't support the bandwidth, switching to display port solved the issue. Thanks mate.

Last edited by a moderator: