AOC Releases 23-inch Flicker-Free 3D Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
All I want is a high-quality 21" 120Hz IPS-based 3D LCD with both dual-DVI, DP, and HDMI (for hooking up consoles, as well as an ATI or NVidia card). Price is no object, as long as it is built to last. Is that too much to ask?

A video board capable of driving said display at 1080p in 3D for $250 or less while drawing less than 200W would also be great. ATI dropped the ball w/ the 7xxx series - hopefully NV can pick up the slack.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Makes me wonder if AOC is stepping up their game and are going to become like ASUS when it comes to quality/renown.

I remember first seeing ASUS and thinking "who the hell are these guys"?

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
3d is a realy persenal thing, some like some dont and diff people se diff amounts of 3d if you got some damage or are born weaker in 1 eye you can get a hard time getting a good experiense. i got a 3d screen and if you are not sure you like to get one, i advise you to try and get a hold of 1 and try it for around 5 hours before getting one it takes 1 hour to realy get the feel of it and some more to get a feel for how long you can sit infront of it. i cant handle the glasses but i got tight g930 logi headset so it sits on my ears only. and if you are yet to play fps in 120Hz then plz try 60 to 120 is a diff you cant realy c it but you do feel the flow is so much smother and when you turn fast and alot you get so much more controle. sorry for my spelling dont bother trying to fix it youll need a life time ;b

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Achoo22[/nom]All I want is a high-quality 21" 120Hz IPS-based 3D LCD with both dual-DVI, DP, and HDMI (for hooking up consoles, as well as an ATI or NVidia card). Price is no object, as long as it is built to last. Is that too much to ask?A video board capable of driving said display at 1080p in 3D for $250 or less while drawing less than 200W would also be great. ATI dropped the ball w/ the 7xxx series - hopefully NV can pick up the slack.[/citation]

I hear you, though I'd much prefer a 1920x1200 IPS 120hz with pivot for 3x1 Eyefinity portrait. I was super excited to read about the new LG DM92, until I found out it wasn't a true 120hz screen and didn't offer pivot. I personally have no interest in the 3d aspect, I just want 120hz 2d.

Here's to hoping Dell will roll out a new u24xx 120hz sometime in the near future.

crysex

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I just check the spec of this AOC monitor. It is not even 120HZ and has a slow 5ms. Not worth the money. I'm currently using the ACER 23.6 3D monitor. It makes buzz sound when displaying dark images and has terrible ghosting double image effect during 3D. I need a better one that does not cost too much money.

wererat

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
This is a passive 3d monitor. Its advantages are cheaper glasses (and cost generally), typically a brighter image, and if you're in the right spot, low ghosting. The glasses are any circular polarized glasses, which are starting to be offered in stylish formats (and can be used as sunglasses).

Active panels (120hz) are more fun to use in 2d (due to 120hz refresh, great for fast-action gaming like FPS or racing) but cost more and are all TN panels (for those that get worked up about TN vs. IPS vs. VA). Active glasses are pricy and the shutter panels can disorient *some* people.

Honestly I'd go with the Viewsonic V3D over this AOD panel, or for a better passive screen get the Acer HR274H (not HN274H which is an active panel). The latter is compatible with Nvidia's drivers which are still the best of the three 3d driver solutions (3d Vision, DDD, iZ3D).

For a pivoting 120hz monitor only BenQ offers one in the form of the discontinued XL2410T and new XL2420T. Otherwise you'll need a VESA mount which should work with almost any monitor.

wererat

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Transsive: Just read that. 5ms panel with 17ms 'ghosting' is pretty bad. The already-out V3D231 passive is a 2ms panel. Good point about the 540 vertical rez. In practice one eye is seeing the odd lines of a full picture and the other is seeing the even lines, so it's not as if half the pixels are simply lost.

My own experience seeing passive screens is that my mind is putting the two images together to appear complete; people who've owned passive monitors do report that small text can be difficult, however.

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
@wererat

Yeah, the V3D231 is about twice as fast with 9ms of ghosting.

Still, a fast 120Hz display goes as low as 5ms ghosting time.

I haven't tried 3D yet, so I can't compare the tech, but I'd lean towards active screens.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
you want active shutter for gaming.
and if possible, grab a 3d dlp projector for zero ghosting. (i havent tested the pricier displays, as i am not going to spend 5-600 dollars on a 24" display)

I could care less about movies, but 3d gaming is incredible.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Who cares about 3D? It's a waste of money. The last time I saw a movie (in the theater) in 3D, the only 3D effect I noticed was in the closing credits. Since then, all the movies I've seen have been in 2D. This fad will probably fade away like it did several decades ago.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]pckitty4427[/nom]So does anyone know if this monitor will convert normal videos to 3D?[/citation]

I haven't seen any monitors that have built-in 2d-3d converters, only HDTVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.