AOC's New Gaming Monitor Does 144Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
"You won't have to put up with input lag and screen tearing with this AOC gaming display."

Lolwut? Do these guys at AOC not know what V-Sync is? The only monitor that can handle v-sync off without screen tearing is the ASUS VG248QE with the G-Sync kit from Nvidia and those are sold out everywhere (as well as the kits).

Claiming a monitor eliminates screen tearing when it's all reliant on the GPU settings... *shakes head*

PEJUman

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
"You won't have to put up with input lag and screen tearing with this AOC gaming display."Lolwut? Do these guys at AOC not know what V-Sync is? The only monitor that can handle v-sync off without screen tearing is the ASUS VG248QE with the G-Sync kit from Nvidia and those are sold out everywhere (as well as the kits).Claiming a monitor eliminates screen tearing when it's all reliant on the GPU settings... *shakes head*
AOC is correct, at 144 Hz you technically will be able to run any frame rate up to 144 Hz without tearing & lag.V-SYNC tells the GPU to WAIT FOR THE NEXT REFRESH, G-SYNC tells the display to WAIT FOR THE NEXT FRAME (both will add lag).Not that many GPUs can run faster than 144 Hz @ 1080P with all the eye candy turned on.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I use VirtuMVP 2 virtual vsync. No tearing, no lag, works with all games.Can Tomshardware do sort of analysis comparison between nVidia's new G-Sync and Lucid's Virtual vsync?

toddybody

Distinguished
"You won't have to put up with input lag and screen tearing with this AOC gaming display."Lolwut? Do these guys at AOC not know what V-Sync is? The only monitor that can handle v-sync off without screen tearing is the ASUS VG248QE with the G-Sync kit from Nvidia and those are sold out everywhere (as well as the kits).Claiming a monitor eliminates screen tearing when it's all reliant on the GPU settings... *shakes head*
AOC is correct, at 144 Hz you technically will be able to run any frame rate up to 144 Hz without tearing & lag.V-SYNC tells the GPU to WAIT FOR THE NEXT REFRESH, G-SYNC tells the display to WAIT FOR THE NEXT FRAME (both will add lag).Not that many GPUs can run faster than 144 Hz @ 1080P with all the eye candy turned on.
Nope. Frame tearing comes from the output not being in sync, or a multiple of the monitor's refresh rate. So, if Im outputting a game at 111 FPS...its going to tear frames. G-Sync actually changes the monitor's refresh rate to match the card output, natively.

Sep 22, 2013
Nope. Frame tearing comes from the output not being in sync, or a multiple of the monitor's refresh rate. So, if Im outputting a game at 111 FPS...its going to tear frames. G-Sync actually changes the monitor's refresh rate to match the card output, natively.

As an owner of both a VG248QE and the G-Sync module I installed after the fact, I can tell you with 100% certainty that simply running at 144Hz doesn't eliminate screen tearing, even in games where I'm pushing over 144 FPS. What DOES eliminate it as well as make the motion fluid as hell is 144Hz/120Hz + G-Sync.

Also, G-Sync doesn't simply tell the display to wait for the next frame. It monitors the frame rate as sent by the card WITH V-SYNC OFF (it's one or the other, G-Sync or V-Sync, not both) and matches the refresh rate accordingly.G-Sync is as real-time as and frame display tech gets. You see what the card renders when it's rendered, within (theoretically) 1ms; realistically w/in 10ms.

V-Sync forces the FPS to match a multiple/factor of the refresh rate (60Hz = 60/30/15 FPS). It doesn't sync the refresh rate to the frame rate. If your refresh rate is significantly out of sync with your FPS, you'll experience tearing due to a partial frame being displayed mid-refresh.

So in short, buy G-sync.

Also, this is overpriced as hell.

(PS - Tom's your formatting comments is still all $#%$ed up using mobile and Chrome - I had to go to the forums to get the spacing right. Otherwise it looks like this:

There is no spacing.Between sentences and paragraphs.Please hire a decent developer.Maybe someone who knows HTML and CSS.Thanks.)

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
As an owner of both a VG248QE and the G-Sync module I installed after the fact, I can tell you with 100% certainty that simply running at 144Hz doesn't eliminate screen tearing, even in games where I'm pushing over 144 FPS.What DOES eliminate it as well as make the motion fluid as hell is 144Hz/120Hz + G-Sync.Also, G-Sync doesn't simply tell the display to wait for the next frame. It monitors the frame rate as sent by the card WITH V-SYNC OFF (it's one or the other, G-Sync or V-Sync, not both) and matches the refresh rate accordingly.G-Sync is as real-time as and frame display tech gets. You see what the card renders when it's rendered, within (theoretically) 1ms; realistically w/in 10ms.V-Sync forces the FPS to match a multiple of the refresh rate. It doesn't sync the refresh rate to the frame rate. If your refresh rate is significantly out of sync with your FPS, you'll experience tearing due to a partial frame being displayed mid-refresh.So in short, buy G-sync.Also, this is overpriced as hell.
Long quote to just say - I agree with the last sentence completely (and G-Sync is incredible).

PEJUman

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
As an owner of both a VG248QE and the G-Sync module I installed after the fact, I can tell you with 100% certainty that simply running at 144Hz doesn't eliminate screen tearing, even in games where I'm pushing over 144 FPS. What DOES eliminate it as well as make the motion fluid as hell is 144Hz/120Hz + G-Sync.Also, G-Sync doesn't simply tell the display to wait for the next frame. It monitors the frame rate as sent by the card WITH V-SYNC OFF (it's one or the other, G-Sync or V-Sync, not both) and matches the refresh rate accordingly.G-Sync is as real-time as and frame display tech gets. You see what the card renders when it's rendered, within (theoretically) 1ms; realistically w/in 10ms.V-Sync forces the FPS to match a multiple/factor of the refresh rate (60Hz = 60/30/15 FPS). It doesn't sync the refresh rate to the frame rate. If your refresh rate is significantly out of sync with your FPS, you'll experience tearing due to a partial frame being displayed mid-refresh.So in short, buy G-sync.Also, this is overpriced as hell.(PS - Tom's your formatting comments is still all $#%$ed up using mobile and Chrome - I had to go to the forums to get the spacing right. Otherwise it looks like this:There is no spacing.Between sentences and paragraphs.Please hire a decent developer.Maybe someone who knows HTML and CSS.Thanks.)

G-SYNC lag = 1/'current FPS' i.e. the time it takes to render a full frame vs. just rendering the partially updated segment.

V-SYNC lag = 1/60 or 1/30 or ... i.e. the time it takes for the screen to refresh.

both are LAG, but G-SYNC allows you to dip to smaller ms delay.
On powerful GPUs it means G-SYNC is faster than V-SYNC.
On weak GPU.... it does not matter since <60 FPS sucks.

Just as G-SYNC + fast GPU allows the lag to drop into in-perceptible time range essentially 'no lag'; High refresh rates (say 144 FPS) allows tearing to drop into the same in-perceptible range.

When your frame updates in the middle of non v-synced 144 Hz, you'll get tearing on that frame. However, it's unlikely you notice 1/144 s (7ms) worth of torn frames; The same way you don't notice a 'full frame render worth of ms' of lag (at lower than 144 FPS mind you, means larger delay than 7ms) from G-SYNC.

Granted, if you GPU can only render ~60 FPS or around this speed, you will notice tearing more than lag, therefore the 'smoothness' with G-SYNC.

Sep 22, 2013

Okay, you're not entirely wrong, but you are definitely wrong about one thing: noticing tearing @144Hz.

I've run games on the stock VG248QE that range anywhere from ~80FPS to blowing away 144FPS as well as capping at 100/120/144 and 101/121/145 and 99/119/143 w/no V-sync and I can absolutely attest that indeed there is perceptible tearing at times. This is running the monitor at 100/120/144, respectively.

A good example is Skyrim. My 2x GTX 770 4GB will smoke Skyrim even with the enhanced texture pack far past 144FPS. It doesn't matter what you do, it will tear w/out V-sync. I've capped it, tried it at 60/100/120/144Hz. It tears horribly if you aren't using either V-sync or G-sync. It might be marginally less perceptible at 144Hz, but that's debatable.

You don't necessarily see a tear slowly sliding across the screen, rather you see periodic breaks in the image as you move. It's not as bad as some older games where you're seeing anything breaking 60FPS cause repeated tearing, but it's still annoying as hell.

The point is, 144Hz isn't a magic bullet, but G-Sync really is; I wouldn't want users who don't own a 144Hz monitor to bank on buying this or another model and expecting 144Hz is going to resolve the issues.

PEJUman

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
You may be able to see 144 Hz tearing, but I normally can't.
I even had my friend set me up with a blind 60-120Hz Adaptive V-SYNC'd test, and I can't tell them apart.
Can I get my 780TI @ 120Hz, no V-SYNC to tear? ABSOLUTELY! all I had to do is move the mouse fast enough so there is enough visual gap between 2 sequential frames.

Do I notice tearing while gaming @ 120 Hz - 1080? No.

Neither is bad: G-SYNC works for you, 120 Hz is enough for me.

I just don't like the idea of bottlenecking at GPU, I certainly hate the idea spending $300+ on a solution that makes your fast display runs slower, just to compensate the bottlenecked GPU. I rather spend the $300 towards 2nd or 3rd SLI, and run at adaptive V-sync @ 120/144 Hz

G-sync does not add but 1-3ms of latency compared to non v-sync, and it delivers the whole frame at once, so that non vsync game has parts of the images that has 8+ms of latency. G-sync actually has lower latency on the whole image being displayed. Both have to wait for the image to be rendered. The display is not "bottlenecked" by the GPU, it is synced with the GPU. And it is impossible to throw more GPU's at the display and get 120/144 FPS in most modern games. The CPU bottlenecks you before you get there. Besides, it is $100-$200 extra costs for g-sync (The DYI is $200, the factory offered g-sync monitors are supposed to come at $100 extra).

dfirday

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
i am casual gamer who play mainly single player game, do i need this kind of monitor?or try IPS/PLS panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS