Question AOEMI Backupper Restored Windows Drive Wont Boot

gregor_00

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,
I have backed up my Windows drive using Aomei Backupper's backup tool (not clone) for my Windows Drive. I then formatted the drive as I was trying to solve a separate problem on my PC, now I have fixed that problem I restored my SSD using the image file and the AOMEI restore tool, however when it boots it says it is missing the winload.efi. I created a bootable Windows on a USB using the partition assistant and I can see my partitions from that drive (recovery etc) are coming up as seperate drives with individual drive letters. How do I get it back to its original form with what I have? I also manually copied over most folders onto the same backup drive as the system file if that helps.

Thanks.

Last edited:

gregor_00

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Then whatever you did with AOMEI was insufficient or incorrect.

Since you have apparently formatted the original source, your options are few and far between.
I believe it is because I did disk back up rather than system back up, so it has not backed up the system partition as the partition is not there at all now when i restore the back up. However if I go into the drive I can go into System32 and the winload.efi file is there, so basically I just need windows to load it/ recreate the system partition if possible.

USAFRet

Titan
I believe it is because I did disk back up rather than system back up, so it has not backed up the system partition as the partition is not there at all now when i restore the back up. However if I go into the drive I can go into System32 and the winload.efi file is there, so basically I just need windows to load it/ recreate the system partition if possible.
I am not familiar with the options within AOMEI, but a proper Image or Clone should not require you to mess around in /System32/ and extract anything.
I can't imagine that ending well.

As above, please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Disk 0 is the restored disk.
So F: is restored windows partition?
and H: is bootloader partition?
Correct?

Bootloader partition has to be active, for disk to be bootable.
Right-click on it and choose "Mark partition as active".

Edit: but in starting post you said, you restored SSD.
That would be Disk 1.
No?
BTW - Disk 1 is not bootable.

Anyway - show folder view of drives F: and E: .

Last edited: