Question AOMEI clone wants to make C drive partitions larger, does this matter?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Trying to clone the C drive on my laptop to a larger ssd. If I select "add unused space to all partitions" it wants to double the size of the EFI system partition and also of the recovery drive, as well as the main boot partition which is where I actually want the space added. Will there be any negative affect to the EFI and recovery partitions being larger? Or is that just more space for those operations.
There is software in the recovery partition I want intact as you cannot download it and it is directly installed at the factory so I don't want anything to mess with it.

The other option is to adjust the sizes manually but it only has an imprecise slider and the partitions will end up a a few mb larger that way as well.

It shouldn't matter in any significant sense, but there shouldn't be any reason to enlarge those partitions either.

I'd just try to get the clone up and running and then worry about partition sizes later. You can adjust them later on with a third party tool if you need to.

I haven't used Aomei, but I'd guess you can say no to "add unused space". You would likely end up with a bunch of "unallocated space", but could allocate it to other partitions (most likely to C) as you see fit later with some other tool.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
It shouldn't matter in any significant sense, but there shouldn't be any reason to enlarge those partitions either.

I'd just try to get the clone up and running and then worry about partition sizes later. You can adjust them later on with a third party tool if you need to.

I haven't used Aomei, but I'd guess you can say no to "add unused space". You would likely end up with a bunch of "unallocated space", but could allocate it to other partitions (most likely to C) as you see fit later with some other tool.

This has been a surprising hassle. Initially I just did a sector by sector clone thinking I could just do what you mentioned in your last sentence. I ended up with a partition at the end of the chain and could not extend anything into it. I tried using a 3rd party software but something about Win11's bitencryption made it a no go. No matter what I did I could not get them to merge.

Today I figured out I could fiddle around in AOMEI cloning setup and shift the recovery partition to the end then extend the C drive to encompass the empty space. Thinking I had it sorted, I cloned it, and then the drive comes out having SHRUNKEN the EFI and recovery partition.. only by around 2-13mb but I figured that definitely can't be great.. so I finally just re-cloned letting it double each partitions size since you say it shouldn't matter.
It works so far. I don't care about the combined extra ~700mb it plopped onto the EFI and Recovery partitions as long as it doesn't matter that they are larger I guess.