Aopen DVD writer not working

joker

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am having trouble with my DVD writer. I was burning a disk when it hung.
I closed out of everything and when I rebooted, the DVD does not work at
all. It will not play anything. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled
it, updated the latest firmware and still nothing. I put a restore disk in
it and rebooted, but it could not read from the drive. I keep getting and
error message that states that the drive is inaccessible because of an I/O
error. I looked at the driver it uses and it appears windows assigned it
the same driver as my CD burner. I am just not sure what to do now. I am
trying to work with Aopen support, but they are hard to get a hold of. Any
ideas?
--
Joker
"...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me."

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Buy a new one. LASERs have been know to go bad. Are you getting "Bad
block" errors in Event viewer?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Joker" <post_master@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with my DVD writer. I was burning a disk when it hung.
>I closed out of everything and when I rebooted, the DVD does not work at
>all. It will not play anything. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled
>it, updated the latest firmware and still nothing. I put a restore disk in
>it and rebooted, but it could not read from the drive. I keep getting and
>error message that states that the drive is inaccessible because of an I/O
>error. I looked at the driver it uses and it appears windows assigned it
>the same driver as my CD burner. I am just not sure what to do now. I am
>trying to work with Aopen support, but they are hard to get a hold of. Any
>ideas?
> --
> Joker
> "...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me."
> Gen. 21:6

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

First thing to check is that the cables are still securely inserted the the
drive by opening hte case and looking.

If you still get the error and the drive isn't visible in the BIOS, then
it's died and gone to drive heaven. If it's under guarantee, contact AOpen.
If not, go out and get a better new one!
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Joker" <post_master@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with my DVD writer. I was burning a disk when it hung.
>I closed out of everything and when I rebooted, the DVD does not work at
>all. It will not play anything. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled
>it, updated the latest firmware and still nothing. I put a restore disk in
>it and rebooted, but it could not read from the drive. I keep getting and
>error message that states that the drive is inaccessible because of an I/O
>error. I looked at the driver it uses and it appears windows assigned it
>the same driver as my CD burner. I am just not sure what to do now. I am
>trying to work with Aopen support, but they are hard to get a hold of. Any
>ideas?
> --
> Joker
> "...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me."
> Gen. 21:6

joker

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

CMM> First thing to check is that the cables are still securely inserted
CMM> the the
CMM> drive by opening hte case and looking.

CMM> If you still get the error and the drive isn't visible in the BIOS,
CMM> then
CMM> it's died and gone to drive heaven. If it's under guarantee,
CMM> contact AOpen.
CMM> If not, go out and get a better new one!
CMM> --
CMM> Cari
CMM> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

This thing is only a few month old. It quit after two months. The BIOS and
Windows both recognise it, the cables are all secure.