[SOLVED] Aorus 15P YD-74US244, can't change external monitor resolution

Dec 10, 2021
Hi, I just got the laptop and now im trying to use a monitor with it but it wont let me change the resolution (grayed out) and the quality looks bad. the drivers for the gtx 3080 is all updated. just want to see if anyone knows a fix?

Thanks

Tried it on:

Samsung sync master t22hd with hdmi cable

Acer Predator XB321HK with display port cable

Solution
DId you solve the problem yet, I have the same laptop and do it the same way with a samsung g9, its facing the same problem you have. My unit was just bought from amazon. I solve the problem.
My unit got a sticker that shows a Thunderbolt4, but the USB type-c port on the laptop is not a Thunderbolt port at all. Connecting to any external monitor from it will not work.

Try to follow my step to solve your problem > Connect the laptop with your external monitor from the mini dp1.4port > Close HDR or g-sync on the external monitor ( if it can)
right-click from anywhere on the desktop, open display setting, duplicate your laptop monitor and the external monitor > right-click from anywhere on the desktop, open Nvidia setting, find...
Dec 11, 2021
DId you solve the problem yet, I have the same laptop and do it the same way with a samsung g9, its facing the same problem you have. My unit was just bought from amazon. I solve the problem.
My unit got a sticker that shows a Thunderbolt4, but the USB type-c port on the laptop is not a Thunderbolt port at all. Connecting to any external monitor from it will not work.

Try to follow my step to solve your problem > Connect the laptop with your external monitor from the mini dp1.4port > Close HDR or g-sync on the external monitor ( if it can)
right-click from anywhere on the desktop, open display setting, duplicate your laptop monitor and the external monitor > right-click from anywhere on the desktop, open Nvidia setting, find change resolution on the right side, click and select your monitor resolution and Hz
go back to the display setting, app size set to 100%, if cant set or blank, set the display show only on 1, to set it > when the resolution seems right and shows fine, set the display setting to show only on display 2 ( your external monitor only)

The only thing you can change is from Nvidia setting > change resolution. but the app size set to 100% can only be set from the display setting, try the method above serval times should solve your problem.
But unfortunately, after you do all the settings and show display only on 2, some games like "Insurgency sandstorm" still can't run full-screen mode on the right resolution on your external monitor. Only able to run it on window mode to get the right resolution .
Also, the window interface may become slow. restart the computer will have a chance to show the black screen to your external monitor, you cant USB wake or press any key on the keyboard to wake it up from sleep mode, only the power button and WOL can do so,
but wake the computer from sleep also have a chance to show the black screen to your external monitor, need to connect the dp1.4 port, again and again, that means that you may cant close your laptop screen cover and use the laptop with external monitor very conveniently,
I am now trying to connect the dp1.4 to a switcher to see can it solve the problem or not( so that I don't need to open the laptop screen cover/reconnect the dp1.4 cable again every time or press the power button to wake the computer from sleep mode.

This is a 3080 16GB gddr6 laptop with TDP 130W at a reasonable price, but there are many downsides from it, my unit also reboots itself on gaming if the game graphic setting is set to very high, gigabyte interface is old, bios setting is totally locked, almost can't change anything from it. The only good thing is the laptop cooling system, it is outstanding for almost every 3080 laptops on the market. Run the CPU and GPU **AROUND 60 degree celsius on fan turbo mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bigkestrel
Solution
Dec 10, 2021

The only thing you can change is from Nvidia setting > change resolution. but the app size set to 100% can only be set from the display setting, try the method above serval times should solve your problem.
But unfortunately, after you do all the settings and show display only on 2, some games like "Insurgency sandstorm" still can't run full-screen mode on the right resolution on your external monitor. Only able to run it on window mode to get the right resolution .
Also, the window interface may become slow. restart the computer will have a chance to show the black screen to your external monitor, you cant USB wake or press any key on the keyboard to wake it up from sleep mode, only the power button and WOL can do so,
but wake the computer from sleep also have a chance to show the black screen to your external monitor, need to connect the dp1.4 port, again and again, that means that you may cant close your laptop screen cover and use the laptop with external monitor very conveniently,
I am now trying to connect the dp1.4 to a switcher to see can it solve the problem or not( so that I don't need to open the laptop screen cover/reconnect the dp1.4 cable again every time or press the power button to wake the computer from sleep mode.

This is a 3080 16GB gddr6 laptop with TDP 130W at a reasonable price, but there are many downsides from it, my unit also reboots itself on gaming if the game graphic setting is set to very high, gigabyte interface is old, bios setting is totally locked, almost can't change anything from it. The only good thing is the laptop cooling system, it is outstanding for almost every 3080 laptops on the market. Run the CPU and GPU below 60 degree celsius on fan turbo mode.
Thanks alot for the info. I will give it a try. I've ordered a dp1.4. I forgot that it's just the hdmi cable I tries with both monitors since I only had the normal dp port cable.

Dec 10, 2021

This is a 3080 16GB gddr6 laptop with TDP 130W at a reasonable price, but there are many downsides from it, my unit also reboots itself on gaming if the game graphic setting is set to very high, gigabyte interface is old, bios setting is totally locked, almost can't change anything from it. The only good thing is the laptop cooling system, it is outstanding for almost every 3080 laptops on the market. Run the CPU and GPU below 60 degree celsius on fan turbo mode.

I played with the nvidia settings a bit and played with the adjust desktop size and position settings and clicked "enable desktop resizing" option on the "size" tab. everything seems to be working nicely now except i can only do it with extend these display or duplicate display options. will try out the acer predator once my dp1.4 arrives.

again, thanks for the tip 🙏

View: https://imgur.com/a/2U4du2Q

Dec 11, 2021
Good to see your update. Since this unit YD-74US244 is weird, my unit doesn't get a Thunderbolt4 but the sticker says so, also the sticker got an HDMI 2.1 mark, but I got no HDMI 2.1 monitor, so I can't test it. My unit only using the mini dp1.4 is working out fine.
Do you try to reboot or wake from sleep on the laptop, do the connection still work stable with the external monitor? Please try it when your dp1.4 cable arrives, also set the display setting to only show on 2 to try out.
Would like to see the result. Thank you. Also, I am ordering a dp1.4 switch to try to solve the unstable connect problem when the laptop reboots/wake from sleep. if it can't work out, I would return my unit to Amazon later.

Dec 10, 2021
Good to see your update. Since this unit YD-74US244 is weird, my unit doesn't get a Thunderbolt4 but the sticker says so, also the sticker got an HDMI 2.1 mark, but I got no HDMI 2.1 monitor, so I can't test it. My unit only using the mini dp1.4 is working out fine.
Do you try to reboot or wake from sleep on the laptop, do the connection still work stable with the external monitor? Please try it when your dp1.4 cable arrives, also set the display setting to only show on 2 to try out.
Would like to see the result. Thank you. Also, I am ordering a dp1.4 switch to try to solve the unstable connect problem when the laptop reboots/wake from sleep. if it can't work out, I would return my unit to Amazon later.

View: https://imgur.com/25Wlitx

is this what you mean?

looks like i do have thunderbolt slot. are u literally missing the port/slot?

i will update u for sure when i get the cable.

but so far when i put my laptop to sleep and wake up, its still using the monitor just fine, goes right to it. even have it on show on monitor 2 only

Dec 11, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/25Wlitx

is this what you mean?

looks like i do have thunderbolt slot. are u literally missing the port/slot?

i will update u for sure when i get the cable.

but so far when i put my laptop to sleep and wake up, its still using the monitor just fine, goes right to it. even have it on show on monitor 2 only

Yes, this is it, but it's not a thunderbolt port of mine, I connect it with a type-C to dp1.4 cable it did work, would work just fine with my Y740-2070max-Q, so I guess the port is not a thunderbolt port at all, also same things have been mention in Amazon reviews in the same list.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093Z22QJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Where did you get your unit from? I see Newegg is selling the same laptop but mention it has a thunderbolt 4. but Amazon didn't mention it, I guess maybe there are two types of units out there, I don't know.
My laptop just can't wake up with the external monitor, it's like one-third chance that when it wakes up from sleep, it shows blank in the external monitor. Reboot the computer will occur even more often. It's really annoying to me.
Did you test the thunderbolt 4 slot, if it works out, it should be like a dp1.4 port, can output a 4k@120hz external monitor. Since my Y740-2070max-Q was bought two years ago, but I didn't use the thunderbolt 3 slot at all, I think it wouldn't affect my daily use of the laptop.
But that sticker is really a liar. Such tricks even the manufacturers from mainland China won't use nowadays, how come we see it in a Taiwan gigabyte laptop which is selling on Amazon. This is really unacceptable.

the sticker

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021
Yes, this is it, but it's not a thunderbolt port of mine, I connect it with a type-C to dp1.4 cable it did work, would work just fine with my Y740-2070max-Q, so I guess the port is not a thunderbolt port at all, also same things have been mention in Amazon reviews in the same list.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093Z22QJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Where did you get your unit from? I see Newegg is selling the same laptop but mention it has a thunderbolt 4. but Amazon did mention it, I guess maybe there are two types of units out there, I don't know.
My laptop just can't wake up with the external monitor, it's like one-third chance that when it wakes up from sleep, it shows blank in the external monitor. Reboot the computer will occur even more often. It's really annoying to me.
Did you test the thunderbolt 4 slot, if it works out, it should be like a dp1.4 port, can output a 4k@120hz external monitor. Since my Y740-2070max-Q was bought two years ago, but I did use the thunderbolt 3 slot at all, I think it would affect my daily use of the laptop.
But that sticker is really a liar. Such tricks even the manufacturers from mainland China won't use nowadays, how come we see it in a Taiwan gigabyte laptop which is selling on Amazon. This is really unacceptable.

the sticker

Here's the link to where I got it and it's info.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00117070

It does say thunderbolt 4 on the sticker, but I don't have a Thunderbolt4 cable sadly. I only went and bought a mini dp1.4 cable since there's a slot for that on the other side.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021
Where did you get your unit from? I see Newegg is selling the same laptop but mention it has a thunderbolt 4. but Amazon didn't mention it, I guess maybe there are two types of units out there, I don't know.
Did you test the thunderbolt 4 slot, if it works out, it should be like a dp1.4 port, can output a 4k@120hz external monitor. Since my Y740-2070max-Q was bought two years ago, but I didn't use the thunderbolt 3 slot at all, I think it wouldn't affect my daily use of the laptop.

the sticker

So everything seems to be working correctly after i got the dp1.4. wakes up to the monitor after sleep just fine.