Question Aorus 2080 fan RPM and cooling

Supafly666

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
Good Afternoon all,

I bought myself a Aorus RTX 2080 some time ago and its been running perfectly. Over the past few weeks i have noticed some issues but im not too sure if its the card thats gone faulty or its a setting on my PC i need to change or something.

Issue:

Whenever playing any game now (unless on low-medium graphics) i can see my temperatures slowly ramping to around 80 degrees (Celsius) although some people have told me:

• This temp is suitable and can be considered an optimal temperature for the 2080.
  • Temp is a little high and could potentially damage the card.

I used to be able to play GTAV on ultra graphics without an issue, but now as soon as i step inside a building the temps go to 80 degrees and the fans goto over 4000rpm. Funny thing is, playing PC Building Simulator with VSYNC has the same issue, but disabling VSYNC lets the game run without it happening.

I sent Gigabyte an email over asking if they had any knowledge or any advice and i just had a replying saying due to country, location, weather they cannot provide me any information.

Other than the spec, im using the NZXT Razer H440 case, with 3 240mm fans at the back and top and 2 120mm fans in front of the CPU radiator at the front of the case.

I have some images of the issue with me playing Sniper Elite 4 - View: https://imgur.com/a/GW4nF9J

If anyone has any advice or needs any more information please let me know :)

Supafly666

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
Hey! I know it was a while ago I posted this thread. Just an update on it really to provide a bit of background.

I bought my Aorus 2080 through Amazon and when my issues started cropping up I decided to contact them.

After a while of being tossed from pillar to post and speaking to nearly 40-50 agents at Amazon via email, phone and also the live chat. They told me if i wanted to RMA the item i needed to go through the manufacturer Gigabyte but they had a few options to sort this issue through Amazon which were:

*Send in my 2080 and I can get an alternative card but the alternatives they offered would all underperform compared to the 2080.
*Send in my 2080 and wait for the 2080 to come into stock which they could provide no ETA it was mentioned it could take months.
*Finally they offered me a cash refund of 20% of the price I paid for the 2080 which worked out to be around £160

So after failing to sort anything out with Amazon, I got in touch with Gigabyte to see if I can get the card RMA'd which also turned out to be futile. After a few messages back and forth asking me to provide serial numbers, evidence of the issue and asking me to clean it, get rid of any dust. They told me it is probably due to "different environment (country, location...etc) and the hardwares (computer case, cooling fan...etc) the user have ".

After a while of trying to arrange this RMA with Gigabyte they mentioned I cannot RMA the card due to my 3 year warranty being effectively useless due to Amazon only proving 1 year warranty and I have to go back to Amazon so then I mentioned that Amazon are the ones that told me to get in touch with Gigabyte and just got stuck in the old catch 22 so after a little while of trying speaking to both Amazon and Gigabyte neither of them took any responsibility for this purchase.

So I'm still here, with the same 2080 and with the same issues. My little workaround with the default temperature limit did seem to be a good little workaround but it didn't solve the issue and only works as a bit of a quick fix. So I've finally decided to crack this bad boy open and replace the thermal paste but not the pads. And so far this seems to have worked a charm. Right now I'm at 34 degrees (idle) as opposed to around 50 degrees (idle) before the change of paste. And running GTA Online on max graphics I'm now at 54 degrees as opposed to 80+ degrees.

So if you aren't sure what you are doing try get the card RMA'd or try lower your temperature limit via afterburner, EVGA X1 or Aorus Engine or whatever you use. But if you aren't able to RMA the card try just get the paste changed.