[SOLVED] Aorus 256gb NVME slow write speed

May 27, 2020
I have an Aorus 256gb NVME SSD as my boot drive and is connected to Gigabyte B450M-DS3H (coz I sent my Aorus B450 Elite for warranty and I'm working from home so I bought a temporary motherboard so I can continue my work).

As for the exact issue, the write speed of my NVME SSD as per CrystalDiskMark is just around 300mb/s. The read speed is correct tho, just the write speed is slow. I already updated my BIOS a while ago from F50 to F51 and still the same result. Also I just bought this NVME SSD last July 11, 2020.

Anyone know how to fix this or should I also send this for RMA?

Solution
Make sure write caching is enabled. Otherwise, that speed isn't unusual for the TLC portion of the drive. In SLC it's rated for 1050 MB/s which is due to it using 8 two-plane, 256Gb flash dies (16-way interleaving) at that capacity. If you take that speed for TLC it's about 300-310 MB/s generally. The original Aorus is a typical E12 drive, which at their smallest capacity (240/250/256GB) have around 12GB of SLC cache I believe which is relatively easy to write through after an OS install or something.

If you want evidence of these TLC speeds, see here for another E12 drive at the same capacity.
Make sure write caching is enabled. Otherwise, that speed isn't unusual for the TLC portion of the drive. In SLC it's rated for 1050 MB/s which is due to it using 8 two-plane, 256Gb flash dies (16-way interleaving) at that capacity. If you take that speed for TLC it's about 300-310 MB/s generally. The original Aorus is a typical E12 drive, which at their smallest capacity (240/250/256GB) have around 12GB of SLC cache I believe which is relatively easy to write through after an OS install or something.

If you want evidence of these TLC speeds, see here for another E12 drive at the same capacity.

Solution
May 27, 2020

Hi. Upon checking, yes the write caching is enabled. Is still there any other way?