Question Aorus 5 SE4 not waking up with keyboard/mouse activity after >15 seconds in sleep ?

saddartha

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Hey folks,

I recently bought an Aorus 5 SE4 laptop.
I've been trying to fiddle with settings to allow my laptop to be woken up by WLAN which I have been somewhat successful.
I have all prerequisite bios settings, device manager settings, power settings enabled, and have been successful with actually waking up the laptop.

My problem seems to be with the actual mechanics of laptop sleep. Bios is up to date via Gigabyte's software, drivers are up via Intel/Gigabyte's software, Windows 11 is fully up to date
  1. If I put the laptop to sleep and leave it for more than a minute and then try to wake it up, it does not respond to any input from the keyboard or mouse -- the only thing that will wake it up is the power button.
  2. If I put the laptop to sleep and immediately (within ~15 seconds) start pressing either the keyboard (built in or external), mouse (built in or external), OR WLAN app on my phone, the laptop will wake up.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that when you put the laptop to sleep it most likely is getting ready for its' "nap".

If that process is interrupted within the one minute then all is undone and the laptop wakes up. Never getting to sleep.

However, once past one minute the laptop does get to sleep but some buggy or corrupted software prevents reawakening without physically powering down.

Thoughts:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events related to the laptop's sleep behavior.

Look in Task Manager for any apps or tools being launched at startup. Something running in the background that could be interferring with sleep.

Look in Task Scheduler for something being triggered (at some time or another) that likewise may be interferring with sleep.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to fix any corrupted or problem files.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

go into windows control panel find the network device that you want to use to wake the machine with WOL. Right mouse click on the device look at the power management tab and make sure that windows is not shutting down the network device to save power.

if you attempt to wake the device, make sure the device is not being told to go to sleep. ie usb keyboard or mouse make sure the hub it is connected to is not being put to sleep. there are some devices that know how to wake up their hubs (some new headphones do this) but there can be bugs in the firmware, the bios or the usb drivers that break the functions from working. Most mice and keyboards can not wake a sleeping usb hub. (so tell windows not to sleep the device and hub)

some bios will have setting on what devices can wake the machine so do not forget to check the bios wake/WOL settings.

Last edited: