[SOLVED] Aorus 6700XT used or TUF 3060Ti new or Gigabyte 3060ti or Gigabyte 6800XT or 3070 ti for budget conscious - different prices - need advice

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hello. i Have a Samsung q95T 4k 120 Hz 55 inch TV and i was geekily contemplating to put a new Video card in the HTPC connected to it. I like to try 4k at 120 hz not necessarily for gaming but even for desktop applications and i don't mind having this new card for gaming for the kids. Do i need the card, maybe not. I have a simple GTX 970 strix now in this HTPC. but it lacks hdmi 2.1 and i have home receiver as well connected to the setup, so i would benefit from a card with two hdmi instead of using a DP to HDMI converter which might cause HDCP problem, because i need to connect the HTPC to both the receiver and TV since the receiver only passes 4k 30Hz.

like everyone i need to get a good deal to justify the buy since this setup might be used for casual gaming. the kids have already rtx 2070 and gtx 1070 in their gaming PCs for minecraft and fortnite.

so i though we can use this one to play some car racing games or the like :) i need to justify buying a 2 HDMI 2.1 card ;)
so the options that i might have since things change by the time are:
  • Asus TUF rtx 3060ti for 1000 USD new (no local warranty) might have been sold
  • Gigabyte rtx 3060 ti gaming for 1000 usd (no local warranty)
  • Gigabyte rtx 3070 ti gaming for 1220 USD (no local warranty)
  • Aorus RX 6700 XT for 900 usd used not for mining as per the seller
  • Gigabyte RX 6800XT for around 1360 USD and maybe more that i might import from amazon to my country, it might cost more if customs are applied (so there is the hassle of getting it and not being damaged through shipping, etc.)
  • and one far fetched option, where someone said he has a zotac 3090 trinity for 2200 negotiable and has been used for mining for 7months. i was considering offering a much lower price but this card doesn't have two hdmi ports. i was going to offer between 1500 to 1800 but the card might be risky and i heard they heat up. and am sure he will sell the worst card in his mining rig.
any advice? that would be budget friendly and might serve my purpose for HTPC and casual enjoyment of car racing gaming at a least QHD 120 Hz. my initinal budget was USD 750 so anything upwards must be somehow smartly :) justified.
my hunch would go for a new 6800xt but the risk is shipping customs and paying a good difference on top of the 750, so costly hunch :) there is a risk that customs might reach around 400 dollars since the customs are impredictable in my place, really they might just not take them or they might apply the book as if i am getting a pallet and not only a single box.

your advice is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I was in the same boat, I found a 6800xt for $998 and got it, came out to around $1100 after tax, but my problem was the store only had AMD card and the 6700xt was $949 so why not get the 6800xt, they had a refurbished 2080ti for $1,000....

Out of them card and the prices you posted, I'd go for the 6700xt personally, the 6700xt is really close to a 3070 if not a little faster, the 3070ti and the 3060ti is not worth that price in my opinion, the the 6800xt is a little expensive but depending on the model can get near 3080ti performance in some games.

Of course if you like Nvidia, they do have better ray tracing performance, DLSS, I think their recording software is better, but again in my opinion thats too much for whats available at...
120hz with 4K resolution will only be posible in some games and depending on the graphic settings. Then again newer AAA titles usually play well specially if you enable DLSS 2, which is pretty decent tech.

Well, I guess the GPU choice depends on how much money you wana spend and how important gaming is for you and/or your kids.

Any of the cards you wrote should perform way better than the current one at 4K.

Also, you have to be carefull if you need 2 x HDMI 2.1 ports!, many cards usually have 1 HDMI + 3 DP.

About performance, if Ray Tracing is not important to you, the extra 360 USD of the RX 6800XT (vs the RTX 3060TI) should give you better rasterization numbers and higher FPS.

Then again AMD GPUs don't support DLSS 2.

And finally before you consider any new GPU, you should keep in mind he PSU inside your system, Is it good and powerfull enough for a new high en card?

Reactions: Phaaze88

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
120hz with 4K resolution will only be posible in some games and depending on the graphic settings. Then again newer AAA titles usually play well specially if you enable DLSS 2, which is pretty decent tech.

Well, I guess the GPU choice depends on how much money you wana spend and how important gaming is for you and/or your kids.

Any of the cards you wrote should perform way better than the current one at 4K.

Also, you have to be carefull if you need 2 x HDMI 2.1 ports!, many cards usually have 1 HDMI + 3 DP.

About performance, if Ray Tracing is not important to you, the extra 360 USD of the RX 6800XT (vs the RTX 3060TI) should give you better rasterization numbers and higher FPS.

Then again AMD GPUs don't support DLSS 2.

And finally before you consider any new GPU, you should keep in mind he PSU inside your system, Is it good and powerfull enough for a new high en card?
Honestly, i am for the technology not the gaming, i like having new gadgets but as well would rather not spend a lot of money and want the most bang for the buck.

the ones i mentioned have 2xhdmi2.1 ports except the zotac 3090. so i am good on those.

I don't have specific game titles in mind except minecraft and fortnite and i would like to try first shooter games and racing games for the future, no specific game in mind though.

I have corsair cx 650 watts on it but i have a spare seasonic platinum 750 watts aside if needed.

honestly still puzzled what to get since i am buying mainly for the fun of getting new hardware rather than a direct need, but i do need two hdmi 2.1 ports so i need either an rtx 3000 card or rx 6000 card. and at least QHD 120 hz gaming capability.

I was in the same boat, I found a 6800xt for $998 and got it, came out to around $1100 after tax, but my problem was the store only had AMD card and the 6700xt was $949 so why not get the 6800xt, they had a refurbished 2080ti for $1,000....

Out of them card and the prices you posted, I'd go for the 6700xt personally, the 6700xt is really close to a 3070 if not a little faster, the 3070ti and the 3060ti is not worth that price in my opinion, the the 6800xt is a little expensive but depending on the model can get near 3080ti performance in some games.

Of course if you like Nvidia, they do have better ray tracing performance, DLSS, I think their recording software is better, but again in my opinion thats too much for whats available at that performance bracket.

My vote is the 6700xt unless you can find a cheaper 6800xt for around $1000 which might be a bit of challenge.

Solution

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
you all put logical point of views. I am going to wait a little for a better deal. but i suppose a new 3060ti at 1000 might be similar or same as used 6700xt at 900. they are very close in performance i suppose and the 3060ti above is new while the 6700xt is a used card, and 3060ti has dlss and etc. so i suppose they are all not as good of a deal at this time price wise. it is puzzling due to the inflated prices. at 1000 a 6800xt wouldnt need even thinking in these days. i dunno. will see how much i get tempted and weak.. :) to go ahead and buy something.