Question AORUS B450M won't boot with 2 memory sticks after bios update / reset

Mar 12, 2023
Hello, good night.

As the thread name says, i own a Aorus B450M, that have this peculiar problem, everytime i update my bios (currently to the f63 one), my computer won't boot, unless i remove one memory stick from it, then it boots, and after i configure the XMP on the bios, i can use my other stick with no problem.

Going back in time a little bit, my computer had an issue, where if i unplugged my psu or if i switched it OFF, my computer would take a while to boot (probably something between 3/5 minutes), and my bios configuration would reset, i have no idea why it was happening, but ok, i went on with it, cause it wasnt like every single day that i would unplug my psu. Then i resolved the issue lowering my XMP profile from 3600 to 3200. Then i went and updated my bios, and the other problem (the wont boot with 2 memory sticks one), started.

Now i've updated my cpu, from a Ryzen 5 3600x to a Ryzen 7 5700x, and when i turned the computer on, it didnt boot as well, so i went and took off one memory stick, and voila, everything is working fine, turn on XMP on bios, shut down computer, put the other ram stick and boom, working fine again.

I have no idea of why this happening, everything is working fine now after i do this process, but it's really strange, doesn't make any sense to me, so i'm asking if anyone can shed a light on what could be causing this problem.

- Things to notice, that ive tried to do, when it wasn't booting

I've tried switching the memories around, and they both boot fine if they are used in a single slot, all the slots are working, but if i leave for instance, on 0/2 - 1/3 (dual channel configuration), it wouldn't boot. i was about to go crazy on regret for updating a bios that was working fine, and my computer that was 100% functional wasn't booting. Then the idea of trying to boot with only one stick popped and everything was working fine again...welp what a strange thing.

The 2 ram sticks that i use are 2x16gb 3600mhz Corsair Vengeance PRO, could it be a faulty ram stick? or some issue with the motherboard? The strangest of all is that everything works fine, never had an issue with that motherboard and ram, besides the "wont boot with 2 sticks after bios update / reset". It's trully a mystery to me.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Oddly enough I was watching this video a couple of hours ago as it as suggested to me on YT(although I am subbed to his channel);
View: https://youtu.be/bOPQAaLlOWA

and the board in question is actually the board you're working with. Perhaps the BIOS you're on is corrupt. See if you can flash to the BIOS above F63 but I think the main BIOS is corrupt and that's what's impeding the memory, which is what was the red flagged text in BIOS section of motherboard...and yes they did wrong with putting the wrong BIOS version up for download on their support site.

Did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that your BIOS was successfully updated?

Can you please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Mar 12, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Oddly enough I was watching this video a couple of hours ago as it as suggested to me on YT(although I am subbed to his channel);
View: https://youtu.be/bOPQAaLlOWA

and the board in question is actually the board you're working with. Perhaps the BIOS you're on is corrupt. See if you can flash to the BIOS above F63 but I think the main BIOS is corrupt and that's what's impeding the memory, which is what was the red flagged text in BIOS section of motherboard...and yes they did wrong with putting the wrong BIOS version up for download on their support site.

Did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that your BIOS was successfully updated?

Can you please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

i've read carrefuly the red texts on gigabyte site, and followed the instructions in the order they asked, and everything went ok updating from F5 to F32 then to F40, but on that time, i was using a Ryzen 5 1600x and 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz.

then, i updated to the F40 when i upgraded to the Ryzen 5 3600x, everything was fine.

then, when i installed the new ram, everything was fine, till the computer started running into some issues and blue screens on windows, then my bios reseted to the factory settings, i switched the ram around, and managed to get it to work with the XMP set on 3600mhz.

but as i sad before, every single time i unplugged my computer or turned the switch off on my psu, the bios would reset, and the computer would take like 5 minutes to boot, which i resolved by lowering the frequency of XMP to 3200mhz. But then i saw that the new currently bios on that time, that was a F62b, had a text like a better high speed ram frequency support, so i thought, welp, maybe i can get my 3600mhz to work with no issues with that one.

that was when the issue of only booting with one memory stick started, and i did try clearing the CMOS, and it didn't work, it happened while updating from F40 to F62b and then from F62b to F63, so i don't think its an issue of a corrupted bios. but there is something strange with how the motherboard just don't like having 2 sticks of RAM after updating a bios, or putting some new hardware in....its so weird

everything works after i boot with one stick, and as i said, i can manage to get the second one working too after turning the XMP on bios. that's what is so strange to me.

ps: i've already watched this video too, i like that channel, it's very good.

my build info is the following:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x (no overclock, its on default speed)
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken 120
Motherboard: Aorus B450M
Ram: Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3600mhz (2x16gb)
SSD/HDD: Samsung Evo SSD (520gb) / Asgard NVME (1tb)
GPU: 5700 XT Red Devil
PSU: EVGA 700W
Chassis: Red Dragon WheelJack
Monitor: AOC Agon 32' 144hz

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan

That PSU might be leading to another issue. Model of the unit and how old is it?

I would argue, since there was a section of that video taht did state that memory channel is affected. If a BIOS is corrupt, often times that corruption can migrate onto another version in spite of a flash. It has happened to me to the point I had to learn how to use a CH341A BIOS Programming Tool.

Well, might very well be the motherboard. Have you tried manually inputting the timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS as opposed to using X.M.P?

Mar 12, 2023

That PSU might be leading to another issue. Model of the unit and how old is it?

I would argue, since there was a section of that video taht did state that memory channel is affected. If a BIOS is corrupt, often times that corruption can migrate onto another version in spite of a flash. It has happened to me to the point I had to learn how to use a CH341A BIOS Programming Tool.

Well, might very well be the motherboard. Have you tried manually inputting the timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS as opposed to using X.M.P?

The PSU it's a EVGA SuperNova 750b 80 plus Bronze, i've got that one on late 2017.

Yes, i tried using the ryzen ram memory calculator, or something like that, everything works fine. The only issue i have it's on updating a bios, or like the last time it happened, i installed my new cpu the r7 5700x, and my bios reseted, so my computer wouldnt boot, if i didn't took off one of my sticks of ram. Once i've did that, everything was fine, and after the first boot even without setting anything on the bios, i think my second stick would work as well, but since i always turn the xmp before, it doesn't make any sense, i know, but i do it on this order just to be sure, cause i know it will work like that.

But after this, i can set the timing manually, i can mess with overclocking settings, i can do whatever i want on bios, everything works fine, no issues.

TRENDING THREADS