[SOLVED] AORUS FI27Q - 1440p at 165Hz? DP1.2 limitations?

duncjam

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Hi all

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor (looking at 27", 1440p, 144Hz, and IPS as I want to use it as a TV in my room and want the viewing angles) and I've found the AORUS FI27Q which seems to fit the bill for me, but I just had a few questions about compatibility. Current screen is a 24" IPS at 60Hz, and want to run both monitors off my GPU, presumably one with a DP and another with HDMI, or both off DP).

Rig spec:

GPU: GTX1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming (3 x DP1.4, 1 x HDMI 2.0b)
CPU: i5-6600K@3.9GHz
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Mobo: ASUS Z170-P (not Pro Gaming)
PSU: EVGA 650 G2
Drives: SSD, M.2 SSD, HDD

Questions

Refresh rates
: I've read in some places Displayport 1.2 can't do 1440p at 144Hz, and in other places that it can - given that this monitor supposedly does 165Hz I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time at this resolution. I've also heard on forums (such as here) that with a similar model, the AD27Q, you can only run certain features at once (such as not being able to get 144Hz with HDR, for example. Does that apply here, does anyone know? Any pointers on the truth around this more broadly?

G-sync "compatible": What on earth does this actually mean? I have an Nvidia card, but I'm not willing to pay the insane premium on G-Sync - this apparently works with this monitor, but only through the Displayport connection (which I'm concerned about as above). Will I get G-Sync style performance from this monitor at the refresh rate and resolution I want through a DP1.2?

Other options: Does anyone know of any better value monitors at around the £450 mark? As I say IPS is crucial to me, as is tilt and rotate, along with min. 144Hz and 1440p at 27" (don't want to go any larger and mess up the DPI ratio).

Any help very much welcome!

All the best!
D

Solution
Refresh rates: I've read in some places Displayport 1.2 can't do 1440p at 144Hz, and in other places that it can - given that this monitor supposedly does 165Hz I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time at this resolution. I've also heard on forums (such as here) that with a similar model, the AD27Q, you can only run certain features at once (such as not being able to get 144Hz with HDR, for example. Does that apply here, does anyone know? Any pointers on the truth around this more broadly?
DisplayPort 1.2 supports up to 165 Hz at 1440p with 8 bpc RGB color (SDR) or up to 120 Hz with 10 bpc RGB color (HDR). DisplayPort 1.4 is required for 144/165 Hz with HDR at the same time (FI27Q-P).

I supposed my only...
Feb 21, 2020
If it's DP 1.2 or higher it should run at 165hz in 1440p.

G-Sync "cleans" screen tearing. You won't see lines on your screen when you for example move fast around in a game or do a fast movement. I have G-Sync on my monitor and I'm quite happy about it, no big disadvantages about it. It has just one disadvantage, and that is that it don't work in Windowed mode. Make sure you have only on "Enable for full screen mode" in NVIDIA Control panel if you get the monitor.

duncjam

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
If it's DP 1.2 or higher it should run at 165hz in 1440p.

G-Sync "cleans" screen tearing. You won't see lines on your screen when you for example move fast around in a game or do a fast movement. I have G-Sync on my monitor and I'm quite happy about it, no big disadvantages about it. It has just one disadvantage, and that is that it don't work in Windowed mode. Make sure you have only on "Enable for full screen mode" in NVIDIA Control panel if you get the monitor.

Hi Brikic

Thanks so much for this, that's really helpful!

I supposed my only question now is what the difference is between G-Sync and G-Sync compatible - do you know anything about that!?

And thanks very much for the tip on windows/borderless!

All the best
D

Refresh rates: I've read in some places Displayport 1.2 can't do 1440p at 144Hz, and in other places that it can - given that this monitor supposedly does 165Hz I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time at this resolution. I've also heard on forums (such as here) that with a similar model, the AD27Q, you can only run certain features at once (such as not being able to get 144Hz with HDR, for example. Does that apply here, does anyone know? Any pointers on the truth around this more broadly?
DisplayPort 1.2 supports up to 165 Hz at 1440p with 8 bpc RGB color (SDR) or up to 120 Hz with 10 bpc RGB color (HDR). DisplayPort 1.4 is required for 144/165 Hz with HDR at the same time (FI27Q-P).

I supposed my only question now is what the difference is between G-Sync and G-Sync compatible - do you know anything about that!?
G-Sync Compatible means it is a FreeSync monitor (no G-Sync module), but has been certified by NVIDIA to work properly with NVIDIA graphics cards. Functionally it will be pretty much the same as a G-Sync monitor.

Solution

duncjam

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017

G-Sync Compatible means it is a FreeSync monitor (no G-Sync module), but has been certified by NVIDIA to work properly with NVIDIA graphics cards. Functionally it will be pretty much the same as a G-Sync monitor.

Awesome - thanks so much for the help! This really clears up my main concerns.

Now just to wait for the price to come back down!

TRENDING THREADS