Aorus Gaming 7 OP rev 1.0 - Memory Overclock without XMP

Sep 22, 2018
Hi,

I need help overclocking my ram (corsair CMR16GX4M2K4266C19) on this motherboard. The motherboard cant seem to support it in XMP profile mode, it just refuses to boot and takes me back to the bios, advising me to load default settings.

Iv'e never overclocked memory without XMP before so I don't fancy tinkering with what I know nothing about. I've read some guides that tell you to simply select what speed you want from ''dram frequency'' in the bios but this option isn't there on this motherboard.

4266mhz is probably a little to fast for this MB as it says its top supported ram speed is 4133mhz in the spec sheet. I don't really want to leave it at 2133mhz as this is a waste of what the ram can do, but would be ok with is being 3600mhz or above.

In short, does anyone know how to overclock this ram on this motherboard?

Thanks.

Solution
IMO, you got a really good deal on that RAM, but if you can exchange it for the 3200mhz I would do that. You just go into the RAM settings on the motherboard and set the timings and speed as advertised. The 3200mhz will let you set XMP and go. You can probably set the current RAM to 3600 mhz at 1.35 V
The issue is RAM normal voltage is 1.35V. That RAM requires 1.4V to,operate at max speed. Change the voltage to 1.4 and try XMP. You may need to manually set the speed and timings as well,as the voltage.

What is the reason you bought such fast RAM. You really are getting very little benefit over 3200mhz and you paid DOUBLE the price.

Sep 22, 2018

Hi, I checked the bios and it says it is running at 1.4v when I set the XMP profile. I might have to work out how to overclock it without the XMP profile, but I honestly don’t know where to start (it’s frustrating for me as I’ve bought non xmp ram in the past which was really easy to set).

I was looking to buy 3200MHZ ram a few weeks ago, they were all priced around £150 for 16gb then I saw the 4266mhz ram for £165 and though I might as well go for that thinking it would work as it’s a well known brand and relatively up to date (Corsair claim the ram will work with Z370 motherboards).

IMO, you got a really good deal on that RAM, but if you can exchange it for the 3200mhz I would do that. You just go into the RAM settings on the motherboard and set the timings and speed as advertised. The 3200mhz will let you set XMP and go. You can probably set the current RAM to 3600 mhz at 1.35 V

Solution
Sep 22, 2018

Thanks. I tweaked the bios settings as you suggested and it worked. What I did was turn on XMP then manually lowered the setting while leaving XMP enabled. I then managed to push it from 3600mhz to 3866mhz and it remained stable. It doesn’t like to go above those setting though but I’m happy with it as I still think I’m getting good value for money out of the ram as I was willing to accept lower results as I did get it for a low price (for ram).