News Aorus Gen5 10000 1TB and 2TB SSD Full Specs Revealed

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
They are just stating that active cooling is best for the SSD though not a necessity. Obviously with an air-cooled CPU there is enough airflow around the SSD to more than cool the heatsink. If you are using an H2O cooler for the CPU then you have less airflow around the SSD. In most cases the mobo maker supplied low profile heatsink should be sufficient.

You can monitor the SSD temp via S.M.A.R.T if concerned that the SSD might be throttled.

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
If this is the answer by manufactures, then i predict this will be the death of the M.2 slot;

Time to move u.2 or u.3 to the consumer market like they did for SATA (from SAS).

Reactions: bit_user

Geef

Distinguished
It should come with a PCI-E expansion card for M.2 drives that rotates the M.2 sideways so the heatsink points away from motherboard.

Issue resolved.

It should come with a PCI-E expansion card for M.2 drives that rotates the M.2 sideways so the heatsink points away from motherboard.

Issue resolved.
Except many motherboard do not have pcie5 lanes to all the slots. Many only provide pcie5 lanes to the slot for the GPU.
I did not read it closely but there is a lot of discussion why they all put the m.2 slot that supports pcie5 so close to the video card. This would not be a problem if they just put the m.2 slot that supported pcie 5x4 farther away from the video card.
Seems there is some issue running these faster lanes more distance from the cpu chips.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as far as i know, it is a latency issue. the further away from the cpu, the higher the latency for data transfer. sure it is very minimal difference, but at those speeds a couple micro seconds changes the game a lot.

there is no other place to put the slot close to the cpu since the other sides are the vrm's, ram slots, power connections and so on.

i'd personally like to see them leave a mobo with 2 ram slots (instead of 4 most people don't even populate fully) and then add some type of vertical m.2 slot after the 2 ram slots. could be interesting and allow a lot more room to actively cool it if needed.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
as far as i know, it is a latency issue. the further away from the cpu, the higher the latency for data transfer. sure it is very minimal difference, but at those speeds a couple micro seconds changes the game a lot.
You know the speed of light is about 300 mm per ns, right? And I've read a conservative estimate of the propagation speed of electric signals in copper is about half that. So, each ~150 mm of copper adds only 1 ns. Minimum NVMe read latency figures are well into the range of microseconds. In other words, it's not about latency.

Now, it could relate to cost, although I've read that even PCIe 4.0 boards had to use PCIe retimers. So, if we assume they're using retimers either way, then perhaps they could get a little more distance? I dunno.

there is no other place to put the slot close to the cpu since the other sides are the vrm's, ram slots, power connections and so on.
Yeah, M.2 slots would seem to complicate board layout, a lot. Yet another reason I don't like 'em.

i'd personally like to see them leave a mobo with 2 ram slots (instead of 4 most people don't even populate fully)
I know, right? Especially when Alder Lake had that horrible penalty (reducing from 4800 to 4400) for having a 4-slot board, even when only 2 slots were populated!

Luckily, I think that issue was resolved in Raptor Lake?

and then add some type of vertical m.2 slot
Some server boards even have PCIe slots practically in the middle of the board, well away from the backplane. I'm not sure quite what that's all about.

Geef

Distinguished
i'd personally like to see them leave a mobo with 2 ram slots (instead of 4 most people don't even populate fully) and then add some type of vertical m.2 slot after the 2 ram slots. could be interesting and allow a lot more room to actively cool it if needed.

This would also solve the issue so many people have with not knowing about where to plug in the memory, then they use wrong spots and end up with single channel memory because of it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This would also solve the issue so many people have with not knowing about where to plug in the memory, then they use wrong spots and end up with single channel memory because of it.
I have little sympathy for anyone who can't be bothered to read a manual. I guess there are those folks who are oblivious to the fact that it even matters... but they're especially the ones who should be reading the docs before doing anything.

I was at my local Microcenter a while ago and overheard a funny conversation. The "tech" told the customer only one module of RAM is needed because it's DDR and that means it operates in dual channel.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was at my local Microcenter a while ago and overheard a funny conversation. The "tech" told the customer only one module of RAM is needed because it's DDR and that means it operates in dual channel.
😅

Was it an actual repair person, or just a salesperson? That's indeed pretty sad. I guess DDR5 makes it even more confusing, considering how each DIMM is split into two sub-channels. Luckily, that doesn't seem to be a widely-known fact.

BTW, you just reminded me of how Alder Lake N is single-channel. I figured it was mostly due to manufacturers continually implementing chromebook-class machines with a single memory channel, but I guess a side-benefit is that you don't have to worry about noobs populating the wrong DIMM slots.

Reactions: drivinfast247
😅

Was it an actual repair person, or just a salesperson? That's indeed pretty sad. I guess DDR5 makes it even more confusing, considering how each DIMM is split into two sub-channels. Luckily, that doesn't seem to be a widely-known fact.

BTW, you just reminded me of how Alder Lake N is single-channel. I figured it was mostly due to manufacturers continually implementing chromebook-class machines with a single memory channel, but I guess a side-benefit is that you don't have to worry about noobs populating the wrong DIMM slots.
It was a salesperson. They should still be somewhat knowledgeable in their department, though. IMO