[SOLVED] AORUS liquid cooler 280 - can't control fan RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2019
www.Gamerspack.co.il
so I've installed the cooler like the manual said to.
the screen works, the fans work, the RGB works.
I can change the RGB setting via RGB FUSION.
I'm supposed to be able to change the RPM setting via AORUS engine, but for some reason I can't. I'm changing the "Fan mode" to "Zero RMP" or "Quiet Mode" or trying to adjust the graph manually... but the fans stay at ~1900 RPM.

any ideas?

Solution
There's an extra set of wires on some units, these wires are not mentioned in any instructions you'll find. They are for external pump control if the motherboard doesn't have USB 2.0 port.

With some units, they come already attached to each other, with other units the assembler skipped that part. Plugging them into each other completes the pwm signal path and should allow the pump/fans operation.
Oct 17, 2019
www.Gamerspack.co.il
That's another thing, it doesn't connect to a fan header. The only mobo connection it has is a USB2 header... That's all. The rest are "internal" connections within the cooler.
1Hjq1vU_d.webp

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
True, the system has only that one USB2 mobo header connection. All the other electrical signals and controls are done though that communication link and the AORUS Engine software utility. There is NO connection to your mobo's CPU_FAN header, so you can NOT use your mobo's BIOS setup tools to do any control or monitoring of this cooler system.

From the pump unit there's a multi-headed cable system. One arm connects to a SATA power output from the PSU for system power. One arm has two connectors for the ARGB lights in the pump and fan frames, and those lights are controlled by a different software utility, RGB Fusion 2.0, that also uses the USB connection. One arm has outputs to the fans on the rad, and those are monitored and controlled by the Engine utility. Within that utility, look closely at what it says you are examining and setting. There MAY be a way to adjust the speed of the PUMP, but very often such systems are designed to run the pump at only full speed. SOMETIMES you do have an option for one or two slightly reduced speeds of the pump. So if you are seeing a speed that does not change, maybe that is the PUMP speed. Separately there should be speeds indicated for the rad fans, and there may be only ONE speed shown, to represent both fans. That is the speed you should be able to change with the FAN speed controls. But remember, if you set the control system to do automatic cooling control, the system will take over the speed of the FANS and manipulate them to keep up with cooling demand. Usually using such temperature-linked automatic control of the rad fan speeeds is the best choice, rather than your opting for a fixed fan speed (and hence fixed cooling capacity).

Oct 17, 2019
www.Gamerspack.co.il
well,
the AORUS Engine has both Pump speed & Fan speed adjustments as possibilities.
I can change the Pump one, and it shows as if it responds to the change, although it doesn't affect the fans, so I have no idea if it really does change (how can I know?)
I can change the Fans speed, but it doesn't even show as responsive. it stays on 1900-2000 RPM, doesn't matter what I want to change it to.

as you can see here (I'm not home so can't take a picture myself... but found one online on a review)
https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews/aorus-liquid-cooler-360-review-in-english/#jp-carousel-15264

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only suggestions I can make from that display shot is that the Fan Mode options probably include similar choices, like "Balanced", "Custom", etc. Try setting that to "Max", and see what it shows for speed. ALSO observe whether you think the rad fans are running full speed. THEN try setting to "Quiet" and see if it shows slower speeds, AND whether your impression is that their speeds really are much slower.

I assume here that the two rad fans of that system are plugged into the output connectors designed for that from the PUMP unit, and NOT into mobo headers. Yes?

If those checks say that the rad fan speeds really ARE changing, then I suggest you try the "Balanced" setting. That is the only one that appears to be an automatic spdde control based on measured temperatures.

On the other hand, if it appears the fan speeds never change, I suggest you try to un-install the AORUS Engine utility, reboot, and then re-Install it. Failure to control the rad fan speeds if they are connected correctly suggests something wrong with the utility. MAYBE check carefully whether there are any set-up initial settings or options you need to adjust when the software is first installed. Then re-try those tests above to see if that makes any difference.

Oct 17, 2019
www.Gamerspack.co.il
The only suggestions I can make from that display shot is that the Fan Mode options probably include similar choices, like "Balanced", "Custom", etc. Try setting that to "Max", and see what it shows for speed. ALSO observe whether you think the rad fans are running full speed. THEN try setting to "Quiet" and see if it shows slower speeds, AND whether your impression is that their speeds really are much slower.

I assume here that the two rad fans of that system are plugged into the output connectors designed for that from the PUMP unit, and NOT into mobo headers. Yes?

If those checks say that the rad fan speeds really ARE changing, then I suggest you try the "Balanced" setting. That is the only one that appears to be an automatic spdde control based on measured temperatures.

On the other hand, if it appears the fan speeds never change, I suggest you try to un-install the AORUS Engine utility, reboot, and then re-Install it. Failure to control the rad fan speeds if they are connected correctly suggests something wrong with the utility. MAYBE check carefully whether there are any set-up initial settings or options you need to adjust when the software is first installed. Then re-try those tests above to see if that makes any difference.

It doesn't matter which settings I'm trying. either Pump or Fans, Max or Quiet or Zero RPM, the fans don't change their RPM as far as I can see and\or hear.
AORUS Engine says the Pump RPM changes, but I see no affect.

on the USB2 headers I have 2 connections: 1 is to the AORUS Pump, and another for a Corsair Commander Pro (with 3xML PRO fans attached). is it possible that that causes any problem?

EDIT: tried uninstalling and reinstalling. didn't change. still can't change the Fan Speed, and changing the Pump Speed doesn't affect anything.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't know whether the Corsair iCue software tool, the AORUS Enginne tool, and the RGB Fusion 2.0 tool all coexist in harmony, or clash. Try calling Tech Support ffrom AORUS first, and maybe even Corsair. Maybe they can advise how to get Engine to do its job.

May 12, 2020
There is wire labeled pump that should be connected to another wire also coming out of the main unit but it is not labelled at all, it has a fan header plug on it. That wire sends chats with the pump.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's an extra set of wires on some units, these wires are not mentioned in any instructions you'll find. They are for external pump control if the motherboard doesn't have USB 2.0 port.

With some units, they come already attached to each other, with other units the assembler skipped that part. Plugging them into each other completes the pwm signal path and should allow the pump/fans operation.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS