[SOLVED] Aorus Liquid Cooler or Corsair H100i RGB Platinum for i9-9900K?

Feb 24, 2020
After a bit of consideration whether to get the i7-9700K or the i9-9900K (previous post here), I've decided to turn my eyes to the i9, because 1) a bit of peer pressure, and 2) my rig is currently for gaming (with an i7-9700), but I will use it for gaming, rendering, and some other heavy stuff in the future. Specs: MSI Z390 Ace with a RTX2060S GPU.

Now, the dilemma is here:

Because the i9 is as hungry as a lion, the chip need a very strong cooler to keep it cool, and people always recommend a 280 or 360. Unfortunately, my case, a Corsair Carbide Spec-04, cannot fit a 280 or 360, so I'm stuck with the 240. One person shared with me on Facebook that he used a white LC240 AIO to cool the i9-9900K, so I'm thinking it would be work fine, if the cooling performance is decent.

I currently am using the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum. I'm unsure if the i9-9900K can survive with the current AIO, so I'm looking into better 240's. One 240 that I'm particularly interested, is the Aorus Liquid Cooler 240, because of the performance that it claimed to have, and the temperature shown on the pump. It is my secondary goal, but I'm not sure if it really cools better. I'm more fond of RGB btw.

Should I stick to my current Corsair AIO, or switch to to the Aorus AIO?

Suggestions are most appreciated!

(I don't really like overclocking, just so you know. I just want better performance).

Last edited:
Solution
People are underestimating this cpu because they AREN'T ACTUALLY PUSHING IT... but when that does happen... they'll be in for a warm surprise.

Did this person share with you actual thermal test results? I would not go by word of mouth only.
Cinebench R20 loop for at least 15 mins?
Prime95 small fft for at least 15 mins?
Asus Realbench for at least 15mins?

The top end air coolers can barely handle this thing at STOCK, and they're better than 240mm coolers.

A 240mm is a 240mm, save for the fans and other RGB stuff - if any. Both will run hot with a 9900K anyway.
I just checked their specs, and the Aorus has weaker fans, so it would actually perform worse.

View...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
People are underestimating this cpu because they AREN'T ACTUALLY PUSHING IT... but when that does happen... they'll be in for a warm surprise.

Did this person share with you actual thermal test results? I would not go by word of mouth only.

The top end air coolers can barely handle this thing at STOCK, and they're better than 240mm coolers.

A 240mm is a 240mm, save for the fans and other RGB stuff - if any. Both will run hot with a 9900K anyway.
I just checked their specs, and the Aorus has weaker fans, so it would actually perform worse.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGHiRrQ2AAo

Skip to 4:40 if you wish - the AIO you currently use is in there, tested with a 9900K at stock and overclocked scenarios, in a realistic Blender workload.

Reactions: starburststream9845
Solution
Feb 24, 2020

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGHiRrQ2AAo

Skip to 4:40 if you wish - the AIO you currently use is in there, tested with a 9900K at stock and overclocked scenarios, in a realistic Blender workload.

Thanks alot for this explanation. Really explains alot here! :)

He told me the temps never went higher than 65C.