Question Aorus Master Z690 I9 hiding from network once SATA drives turned on.

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Built a new Aorus Z690- I9 system with 64gb ram, and two 2tb NVME drives.
Did a fresh windows 11 install and all works fine. system shows up in the network, and assigned folders easily accessible, except....
When I turn on the SATA drives in bios, my computer vanishes from the list of networked systems. Even though it can't be seen, you can still access all folders set to share, and while you're viewing a folder, you can see the PC, but it won't show up in the regular network list.
When I boot off the old drive that was from my Z390 and updated to Windows 11, that one shows up in the network. On the fresh Windows 11 install, you can't see the system as long as the SATA drives on. Again you can access the shares, you just can't see my computer.

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
You may check that the network discovery is turned off (or on) in your computer. How to: https://allthings.how/how-to-turn-on-network-discovery-in-windows-11/
Network discovery is actually on. I'm doing an image backup so I can try a few things. I'll also post an update here if any of the options work.
Things I found out so far comparing the Z390 mothetherboard drive and the Z690. Z390 the application center and it's drivers are all on the hard drive. The Z690, Appcenter is built into the bios, and many of the drivers are in bios as well as on hard drive. If one isn't careful, that app center can put a different driver on, which is what I think happened in this case.
I'm going to try a adapter driver reset, and use Intels drivers, not Gigabytes, and see if that fixes things.
If that fails, checking bios settings. I think though that it's a driver issue, as if it was just bios, the Z390 boot drive would have hidden the network too.
Network on Z690, works, it's just not showing up in the list.