[SOLVED] Aorus Z270x damaged intel unlocked core

Jun 30, 2020
Aorus Z270x damaged Intel processor 😭
My Gaming Rig of 2 years suddenly failed!
Since few days experienced random restarts. Then one night was watching movie when suddenly PC switched off. Tried to re-boot up but nothing. Only DRAM RGB would lit up no fan spin no display.
Sent motherboard for RMA to Gigabyte. They said it was short circuited. And returned my board after repairing. Repairing was done near VRM on the upper part of CPU socket.

Intel i5 7600k also got damaged, now no display. CPU debug led on during POST. Fans spin then turns off in 1 second. Wont boot. Processor sent for warranty claim.
I assume processor was damaged by motherboard as service center guy told me to re-check processor before assembling again.

Trying to understand how this happened. And more importantly can this happen again?
  1. Do I need to check any other components for damage to claim warranty?
  2. Could PSU cause this? P.S- PC is connected to APC ups so I ruled out any electrical mains abnormality.

Configuration:
Intel i5 7600k
Gigabyte AORUS Z270x gaming
Corsair RGB 3466Mhz 16GB (2x8GB)
Aorus GTX 1080ti
Samsung SSD
CoolerMaster PSU 750W

Solution
I think the motherboard could have failed on its own or the PSU could have caused it.

If I were going to try and use the PSU again I would test it first .

Here is a method. This method doesn't test under load...so it's not a complete test....but it will confirm the voltages are correct and this should give some level of confidence that the PSU won't ruin another motherboard.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-man...ative probe on,VDC lines across multiple pins.
I think the motherboard could have failed on its own or the PSU could have caused it.

Here is a method. This method doesn't test under load...so it's not a complete test....but it will confirm the voltages are correct and this should give some level of confidence that the PSU won't ruin another motherboard.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-man...ative probe on,VDC lines across multiple pins.

Solution
Jun 30, 2020

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158#:~:text=Connect the negative probe on,VDC lines across multiple pins.
Yes. You are right.
I shall check the psu. Actually i checked the voltages after the pc failed to respond. Then I started sending for RMA.
Could u perhaps suggest a way to check under load.
Thanks.

Jun 30, 2020
I am so afraid of putting a new processor in the repaired motherboard.
What if history repeats itself and take out the new processor like the old one.
I am disappointed that gigabyte repaired the motherboard instead of replacement.

"What if history repeats itself and take out the new processor like the old one. "

I think that if you check the voltages before hand....and they are what they are supposed to be....you won't damage the CPU....as long as the motherboard is good.

....and if Gigabyte sends you the board....it should be good....or if you use another board....it should be good.