Question Aorus Z490 Master won't POST, red CPU light on motherboard

Jun 12, 2020
Hi,

I've been reading the forums here for troubleshooting for a while but have never needed to ask directly for help before.

I have been building a PC over the last couple of weeks (delivery times are crazy at the moment) and had all of the parts except the case about a week ago. I assembled the parts on top of the motherboard box to make sure they were working and had been enjoying my new PC without any issues until today, when the case finally arrived. At some point between taking everything apart and putting it into the case, it has stopped working. Now, when I try to boot into the primary bios, the PC resets every five seconds. It will stay powered on when using the secondary bios, but there is no display output (although my monitor recognises a signal) and the CPU LED on the motherboard stays lit.

My specs: Aorus Z490 Master, i7-10700, 16gb (2*8) Corsair 3600mhz RAM, Superflower Leadex III 750w PSU, Corsair i150 RGB Pro cooler, CoolerMaster sl600m case.

I have gone through the forum checklist and nothing has helped. I have triple checked that the PSU and motherboard power cables are properly connected, reflashed CMOS, updated the bios using q-flash, removed and reinstalled the motherboard battery, breadboarded CPU only/CPU and one stick of RAM/RAM only, power discharged the motherboard, tested different CPU power cables (the board can take 2*8 pin power connectors and I wasn't using the second, so I have tried swapping out the cable for the spare, alternating sockets on the motherboard and PSU, and all combinations of one or both cables from the PSU into both sockets), and have now rebuilt the system three times to make sure everything is connected properly but nothing seems to help.

When I build the system in the case, the fans spin correctly, the CPU cooler and RAM light up as expected, and (as long as I use the secondary bios) the system stays powered on, but the motherboard RGB only flickers on for a fraction of a second and then switches off, there is no POST and the CPU warning LED comes on. The only hardware change that I made when installing the working system into the case was cleaning off the stock thermal paste and reapplying MX-4.

I've spent the last ten hours trying to fix this and I'm at my wit's end; what could have caused the problem? The only thing that I can think of is that I screwed the CPU cooler in tighter than before; is it possible that this has somehow damaged the CPU or motherboard? The system worked fine 24 hours ago and now it won't POST and I would be grateful for any and all opinions as to what has gone wrong. I suspect I am going to have to RMA the PSU, motherboard and CPU just to make sure everything is working, but if there is any way to fix this, I would rather avoid going through the whole process, especially given how difficult it was to get everything delivered in the first place...

ETA: I don't have access to a multimeter to check the PSU voltage and can't test the parts in another PC as I have been using a laptop until now.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
UPDATE: I bought myself a cheap multimeter to test the power supply and there is nothing wrong with it, so I've decided to RMA the CPU and motherboard because I can't work out what is wrong with it other than "broken".

Feb 24, 2021
UPDATE: I bought myself a cheap multimeter to test the power supply and there is nothing wrong with it, so I've decided to RMA the CPU and motherboard because I can't work out what is wrong with it other than "broken".
I have the same problem...what did you do to solve it

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS