Question Aorus Z790 Master and 128gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000mhz C40

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I've been quote happily running my PC with 64gb (2 x 32gb sticks) Dominator at 6000mhz with XMP enabled. Given the motherboard supports 128gb, I thought it would be a simple plug and play job and bought another identical pair.

Obviously in hindsight looking back, that was... Naive. We'll go with naive.

Plug and play works for me though I can turn on stuff in bios, like XMP - which is what worked with the original 2 sticks. Beyond that... I'm a n00b

Anyone got any advice on the right settings? I've upgraded the bios from F4 to F8. It's showing as Hynix in the memory screen,

It ran "OK" with XMP disabled at 4800mhz but as soon as I tried the default easy mode XMP profile, it kept blue screening.

Tried a CMOS reset, then re-enabling the default XMP profile, and it reboots back into BIOS showing a boot failure.

I did also try fiddling with XMP and other memory settings based on a reddit thread about picking a samsung profile and a gigabyte motherboard memory features video, and eventually got something running, but the games and YouTube videos crashed and if I keep doing this, I suspect I'm going to break something so...

Anyone able to help / advise? Seem stable at 4000mhz (so even worse than when I started), and that obviously isn't what I want.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was flashed to the latest version?

Are both kits of Dominator rams, the same PCB revision number? The problem with populating all ram slots with high capacity ram sticks and also overclocking them is that the integrated memory controller doesn't like that.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Yes, didn't clear the CMOS at the time, but have done since with no change.

Will check the PCB revision numbers when I next turn off.

Given I bought them as 6000mhz, I guess my assumption was that would be their core speed, not that I'd have to be overclocking them without really knowing it. But then I supposed I had to use the XMP profile to get the original 2 sticks to 6000Mhz... Bah!

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
If Revision Number = Ver, then yes, all the same - 5.43.01.

So what you're saying is that I can either have 128Gb, or I can have 6000Mhz, but I can't have both?

Which comes back to the question, which is more useful? I'm playing memory hungry games, but then I guess a page file could help (which I hadn't set up on this PC, doh)

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
So lets ask this a different way....

Would you rather have 128Gb DDR5 C40 running at 4000Mhz and a smaller page file, or 64Gb DDR5 C40 running at 6000Mhz with a larger page file, on games like Cities Skylines or Transport Fever, where its loaded assets / mods that are the issue? It was suggested that I probably wouldn't notice the difference between 4000 and 6000mhz....

Both should theoretically do the job, but....

Other use cases are large file photography (large Lightroom library / Photoshop) and 360 video (Resolve) - everything else is domestic.

And that's not to say I couldn't try the RAM at 4800 or 5600Mhz - but we're getting away from plug and play and into me needing / wanting to know what I'm doing rather than just fiddling with settings and hoping I don't break something.... I don't have a problem with that - just want to know :/

Last edited: