AP 2000 not responding to HTML setup

I have a Proxim Orinoco AP 2000 with that has been a continuing headache.
I can run Scantool and detect the AP on the network and I have upgraded the
firmware with the newest download from the Orinoco web site.
I can change the IP address with Scantool and update the firmware but I can
not get into the web interface. Internet Explorer gives me a 404 error and
Mozilla gives me a connection refused notice.
I can't get into the serial interface because the serial plug is a round DB8
and even though I got a DB8 to DB24 cable I can't get any response with
Hyperterminal. I have a feeling that there's something going on with the
pin outs and the odd way I'm having to string cords together to get it into
my computer but I have no proof of that, it's just a feeling.
The AP is showing ORiNOCO Device and version 2.0.5 of the firmware.
Can anyone give me a clue where I'm going wrong?

AG

Mayhem

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:29:36 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:

>I have a Proxim Orinoco AP 2000 with that has been a continuing headache.
>I can run Scantool and detect the AP on the network and I have upgraded the
>firmware with the newest download from the Orinoco web site.
>I can change the IP address with Scantool and update the firmware but I can
>not get into the web interface. Internet Explorer gives me a 404 error and
>Mozilla gives me a connection refused notice.
>I can't get into the serial interface because the serial plug is a round DB8
>and even though I got a DB8 to DB24 cable I can't get any response with
>Hyperterminal. I have a feeling that there's something going on with the
>pin outs and the odd way I'm having to string cords together to get it into
>my computer but I have no proof of that, it's just a feeling.
>The AP is showing ORiNOCO Device and version 2.0.5 of the firmware.
>Can anyone give me a clue where I'm going wrong?
>
>AG

Can you ping the units's IP address?

E.

"Mayhem" <fa604654@skynet.be> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:29:36 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Proxim Orinoco AP 2000 with that has been a continuing headache.
> >I can run Scantool and detect the AP on the network and I have upgraded
the
> >firmware with the newest download from the Orinoco web site.
> >I can change the IP address with Scantool and update the firmware but I
can
> >not get into the web interface. Internet Explorer gives me a 404 error
and
> >Mozilla gives me a connection refused notice.
> >I can't get into the serial interface because the serial plug is a round
DB8
> >and even though I got a DB8 to DB24 cable I can't get any response with
> >Hyperterminal. I have a feeling that there's something going on with the
> >pin outs and the odd way I'm having to string cords together to get it
into
> >my computer but I have no proof of that, it's just a feeling.
> >The AP is showing ORiNOCO Device and version 2.0.5 of the firmware.
> >Can anyone give me a clue where I'm going wrong?
> >
> >AG
> >

> Can you ping the units's IP address?
>
> E.
Yes. It replies to anything inside of our network. From outside the
network it gets filtered by the router.
AG

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:29:36 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:

>I have a Proxim Orinoco AP 2000 with that has been a continuing headache.
>I can run Scantool and detect the AP on the network and I have upgraded the
>firmware with the newest download from the Orinoco web site.
>I can change the IP address with Scantool and update the firmware but I can
>not get into the web interface. Internet Explorer gives me a 404 error and
>Mozilla gives me a connection refused notice.

1. Check if you have successfully set the IP address with scantool.
Run:
ping ap2000_ip_address
If that does NOT work, you're doing something wrong with Scantool or
your managment computah has a configuration problem. Usually, it's a
personal firewall that allows some services to work, while others
fail.

2. The AP2000 does telnet. Try:
telnet ap2000_ip_address
I think, that the web interface can be enabled and disabled. Check
the settings.

3. The AP2000 does SNMP. Find a suitable MIB browser (GetIF 2.2),
point it at the AP2000, and see if it's alive. If you don't know what
you're doing with SNMP, don't try to write anything to the AP2000.

>I can't get into the serial interface because the serial plug is a round DB8
>and even though I got a DB8 to DB24 cable I can't get any response with
>Hyperterminal.

It's a DB25. Do you have a breakout box or serial line tester? My
guess(tm) is that you might have a serial connector wiring problem
(DTE vs DCE).

>I have a feeling that there's something going on with the
>pin outs and the odd way I'm having to string cords together to get it into
>my computer but I have no proof of that, it's just a feeling.
>The AP is showing ORiNOCO Device and version 2.0.5 of the firmware.
>Can anyone give me a clue where I'm going wrong?
>
>AG

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

"grzegorz" <wrzesinski1@usunn-wp.pl> wrote in message
> > Yes. It replies to anything inside of our network. From outside the
> > network it gets filtered by the router.
> > AG
> try https://AP2000.IP.address

I did https://AP2000.192.15.106.9/ and no joy.
Of course that's not the real IP address as I don't want it flooded with
pings. We've had enough DDOS problems in the last couple of years.
AG

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:29:36 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Proxim Orinoco AP 2000 with that has been a continuing headache.
> >I can run Scantool and detect the AP on the network and I have upgraded
the
> >firmware with the newest download from the Orinoco web site.
> >I can change the IP address with Scantool and update the firmware but I
can
> >not get into the web interface. Internet Explorer gives me a 404 error
and
> >Mozilla gives me a connection refused notice.
>
> 1. Check if you have successfully set the IP address with scantool.
> Run:
> ping ap2000_ip_address
> If that does NOT work, you're doing something wrong with Scantool or
> your managment computah has a configuration problem. Usually, it's a
> personal firewall that allows some services to work, while others
> fail.

I can ping it and there's no firewall on that computer. It's a laptop
running Win98 that is usually behind a router running NAT so I don't worry
about it much.

> 2. The AP2000 does telnet. Try:
> telnet ap2000_ip_address
> I think, that the web interface can be enabled and disabled. Check
> the settings.
I tried to telnet into ap2000_XXX.XX.XXX.X
AP2000_XXX.XX.XXX.X
AP2000://XXX.XX.XXX.X
All didn't work. As far as I know there isn't any way to enable the web
interface in Scantool, which is the only way other than ping that I have
contacted the device.

> 3. The AP2000 does SNMP. Find a suitable MIB browser (GetIF 2.2),
> point it at the AP2000, and see if it's alive. If you don't know what
> you're doing with SNMP, don't try to write anything to the AP2000.

I've never seen that tool before. I've used some other network tools but
never that one. I will take some time to figure it out but I'm on their
page now.
Thanks for the tip.

> >I can't get into the serial interface because the serial plug is a round
DB8
> >and even though I got a DB8 to DB24 cable I can't get any response with
> >Hyperterminal.
>
> It's a DB25. Do you have a breakout box or serial line tester? My
> guess(tm) is that you might have a serial connector wiring problem
> (DTE vs DCE).

I've never even seen a breakout box or serial line tester and use serial
stuff as little as possible. I've used Hyperterminal quite a bit in
configuring our Max 6000 terminal servers so I do know how to use the
program but not much more than that.

Thanks for the reply. You have given me some good places to start anyway,
which is more than I had.

AG

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:10:20 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:

Just how long have you had this problem? This was from a month ago.

http://www.wireless-chat.net/internet/Orinoco_AP2000_not_responding_86856.html
What's this about the "wrong firmware" being installed? My guess(tm)
is you'll need to flash it again using the TFTP server instead of the
web interface.

>I can ping it and there's no firewall on that computer. It's a laptop
>running Win98 that is usually behind a router running NAT so I don't worry
>about it much.

If you can ping it, the AP2000 should respond to telnet. Firmware
problem?

>All didn't work. As far as I know there isn't any way to enable the web
>interface in Scantool, which is the only way other than ping that I have
>contacted the device.

Try adding an extra "/" at the end of the URL as in:
http://192.168.0.1/
That sometimes helps.

>> 3. The AP2000 does SNMP. Find a suitable MIB browser (GetIF 2.2),
>> point it at the AP2000, and see if it's alive. If you don't know what
>> you're doing with SNMP, don't try to write anything to the AP2000.

>I've never seen that tool before. I've used some other network tools but
>never that one. I will take some time to figure it out but I'm on their
>page now.

Oops, I forgot the URL:
http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm
The default community name (password) is usually "public".
Scribble the IP address in the box on the first page.
Select the MIB browser tab.
Hit "scan" or "walk tree" or something like that.
If you get a long list of OID's and values, it's working.
You'll need the AP2000 SNMP MIB database in order to get human
readable descriptions in the vendor specific section.

>I've never even seen a breakout box or serial line tester and use serial
>stuff as little as possible. I've used Hyperterminal quite a bit in
>configuring our Max 6000 terminal servers so I do know how to use the
>program but not much more than that.

Well, there's chance that you have a DTE vs DCE wiring conflict. Your
laptop has a DTE (date terminal equipment) interface. I dunno what
the 8pin DIN to DB25 cable presents. If a breakout box with the
flashing lights is unavailable, then see if you can borrow or build a
"null modem" adapter. Also, check the manual for the proper serial
speed.

>Thanks for the reply. You have given me some good places to start anyway,
>which is more than I had.

Good luck.

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:10:20 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:
>
> Just how long have you had this problem? This was from a month ago.

http://www.wireless-chat.net/internet/Orinoco_AP2000_not_responding_86856.html
> What's this about the "wrong firmware" being installed? My guess(tm)
> is you'll need to flash it again using the TFTP server instead of the
> web interface.

I have flashed it several times. It always reboots and I can ping it but
nothing else. I'm working on the serial thing. I have a null modem cable
that's DB9 FF but don't have a converter from DB25 to DB9 around here.
I think I have one at home but I haven't seen it in a couple of years so
I'll have to go digging in the junk box. It's hard to remember whether it's
DB25 MF or FF or what it's been so long since I've looked at it. I'll see
tonight if I get home before 10:00.
Thanks for the additional help.
AG

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:55:35 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:

>http://www.wireless-chat.net/internet/Orinoco_AP2000_not_responding_86856.html
>> What's this about the "wrong firmware" being installed? My guess(tm)
>> is you'll need to flash it again using the TFTP server instead of the
>> web interface.

>I have flashed it several times. It always reboots and I can ping it but
>nothing else.

Well, have you considered the possibility that you might be peforming
the flash dance with a corrupted image file? 2.4.11 seems to be the
latest, but perhaps flashing with an earlier version might be useful.
http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/ap2000/
(click on downloads)

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:55:35 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:
>

>http://www.wireless-chat.net/internet/Orinoco_AP2000_not_responding_86856.h
tml
> >> What's this about the "wrong firmware" being installed? My guess(tm)
> >> is you'll need to flash it again using the TFTP server instead of the
> >> web interface.
>
> >I have flashed it several times. It always reboots and I can ping it but
> >nothing else.
>
> Well, have you considered the possibility that you might be peforming
> the flash dance with a corrupted image file? 2.4.11 seems to be the
> latest, but perhaps flashing with an earlier version might be useful.
> http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/ap2000/
> (click on downloads)
I thought of that. I've downloaded it new every time before I did it. I
think 4 times now.
AG

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:31:11 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:

>> Well, have you considered the possibility that you might be peforming
>> the flash dance with a corrupted image file? 2.4.11 seems to be the
>> latest, but perhaps flashing with an earlier version might be useful.
>> http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/ap2000/
>> (click on downloads)

>I thought of that. I've downloaded it new every time before I did it. I
>think 4 times now.
>AG

OK, so 2.4.11 doesn't work. Have you tried earlier versions? I'm
suspicious of Proxim firmware after they switched chipsets on the
Orinoco Gold and Silver from Hermes I to II and then muddled the
firmware and drivers. Hmmm... is the radio card in your AP2000 the
stock card or is it one of the new and improved versions?

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:31:11 -0500, "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote:
>
> >> Well, have you considered the possibility that you might be peforming
> >> the flash dance with a corrupted image file? 2.4.11 seems to be the
> >> latest, but perhaps flashing with an earlier version might be useful.
> >> http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/ap2000/
> >> (click on downloads)
>
> >I thought of that. I've downloaded it new every time before I did it. I
> >think 4 times now.
> >AG
>
> OK, so 2.4.11 doesn't work. Have you tried earlier versions? I'm
> suspicious of Proxim firmware after they switched chipsets on the
> Orinoco Gold and Silver from Hermes I to II and then muddled the
> firmware and drivers. Hmmm... is the radio card in your AP2000 the
> stock card or is it one of the new and improved versions?

Stock. Only one of the two we got works but I know it works because I put
it in my laptop to make sure.
AG

Just to close this out, the AP still won't respond, other than to Scantool
so I'm going to send it to Orinoco to get it fixed.

AG