• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question AP bridge mode as 'converter' 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ

Jun 5, 2020
Hello All,

This is going to sound crazy.
SITUATION:
Just purchased a drone for the first time. Currently have an older smartphone which suits my needs but is only wifi 2.4GHZ compliant. The drone requires wifi 5GHZ for the FPV functionality features.
SOLUTION:?
If i was to buy a dual band outdoors AP a/c spec would i be able to connect my phone to AP then the drone would see the actual AP with the 5GHZ? In essence in the end the AP would only be acting as a converter. This would only be good for at our house..but just trying to picture if this setup would actually work,just out of curiosity.

I know everyone will say just buy an updated smartphone and be done,but just wondering if my theory would work?

Thank You

alceryes

Distinguished
This should, in theory, work. Getting the right router may be tricky though. You'll need to make sure there aren't any limitations on band to band communication or disallowing/limiting device-to-device communication on the wireless network.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello All,

This is going to sound crazy.
SITUATION:
Just purchased a drone for the first time. Currently have an older smartphone which suits my needs but is only wifi 2.4GHZ compliant. The drone requires wifi 5GHZ for the FPV functionality features.
SOLUTION:?
If i was to buy a dual band outdoors AP a/c spec would i be able to connect my phone to AP then the drone would see the actual AP with the 5GHZ? In essence in the end the AP would only be acting as a converter. This would only be good for at our house..but just trying to picture if this setup would actually work,just out of curiosity.

I know everyone will say just buy an updated smartphone and be done,but just wondering if my theory would work?

Thank You
It depends on how the drone works. IF it works in an adhoc network mode, it may not want to pair with an AP, because it is acting as an AP. You need to research more on how the drone implements connectivity.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS