[SOLVED] AP bridge mode as 'converter' 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ

brcisna11

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Hello All,

This is going to sound crazy.
SITUATION:
Just purchased a drone for the first time. Currently have an older smartphone which suits my needs but is only wifi 2.4GHZ compliant. The drone requires wifi 5GHZ for the FPV functionality features.
SOLUTION:?
If i was to buy a dual band outdoors AP a/c spec would i be able to connect my phone to AP then the drone would see the actual AP with the 5GHZ? In essence in the end the AP would only be acting as a converter. This would only be good for at our house..but just trying to picture if this setup would actually work,just out of curiosity.

I know everyone will say just buy an updated smartphone and be done,but just wondering if my theory would work?

Thank You

Solution
Hello All,

SITUATION:
Just purchased a drone for the first time. Currently have an older smartphone which suits my needs but is only wifi 2.4GHZ compliant. The drone requires wifi 5GHZ for the FPV functionality features.
If i was to buy a dual band outdoors AP a/c spec would i be able to connect my phone to AP then the drone would see the actual AP with the 5GHZ? In essence in the end the AP would only be acting as a converter. This would only be good for at our house..but just trying to picture if this setup would actually work,just out of curiosity.

I know everyone will say just buy an updated smartphone and be done,but just wondering if my theory would work?

Thank You
It depends...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello All,

SITUATION:

Thank You
It depends on how the drone works. IF it works in an adhoc network mode, it may not want to pair with an AP, because it is acting as an AP. You need to research more on how the drone implements connectivity.

Solution