Apacer Z280 NVMe M.2 SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In our search for new and exciting products, we stumbled across an old-school DRAM supplier that jumped in the NVMe SSD game. Apacer brought a new PS5007-E7 drive to market at a value price, but it still uses high-performance MLC NAND.

Apacer Z280 NVMe M.2 SSD Review : Read more

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Just wondering if it's possible to install OS and boot from NVMe drives (with PCIe adapters) on older motherboards by using one SATA HDD or SSD to start the windows loader and from there start the OS on the NVMe drive. The boot time would suffer, but then you should get the OS running from the NVMe drive. Not sure if there would be trouble with the drive letter assignment (but I've seen some smart cloning utilities that dealt with the drive letters reassignment)
Going through a VM placed on the NVMe drive makes any sense ?

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
svan71 thank you...
Dealing with UEFI Bios firmware it's what I tried to avoid...
[...]
"As far that I know, there are several ways that you can use to load UEFI Drivers. One of them is having the UEFI Drivers integrated in the Firmware, which is what you did, but they may also be loaded as files from a disk's EFI System Partition. A previous idea I had was that you could format an USB Flash Drive in GPT with an ESP containing the NVMe Driver EFI executable, which could be loaded by UEFI, so it can provide NVMe support on older platforms. However, I don't recall anyone testing that way. Not even close as good as integrating them, but if it fails, it may also be worth a try."

Bruce427

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
@ Chris,

I purchased a 240GB MyDigital BPX around Thanksgiving on 2016.

It is likely that I have the latest firmware update? And if not, where can I download it?

Thank you,
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS