Apartment Networking trouble

predator290

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I've been having trouble with my apartment complex for a few weeks now and the network guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Their are 6 buildings, one router is setup for 3 buildings each. Each has its own network connection. My building is on router1. Currently when i plug into the wall I receive an ip address from router1. Although i cant receive internet connectivity. Although if i plug in and out eventually i will get a connection until i pull it out again. So random internet connectivity. This is on 2 laptops and my tower does it do this. Now the other 2 buildings thats connected to router1 have internet. I personally came over to one the these buildings which they had working internet, plugged in still no internet, but i get an ip. While my friend is plugged in right beside me with his laptop and is getting internet perfectly fine. My neighbor right next door has the same problem. What i cant figure out is how come our building cant receive internet yet the 2 other buildings receive internet when hooked up to the same router and subnet. Any ideas would be appreciated, i've racked my brain trying to get this fixed.
router1 is a linksys, model is unknown.

I can get the internet working only through the WAN port of my own router to router1. I have my personal router set to a different subnet.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Are the IP addresses static or DHCP assigned?

If they are DHCP, try this.
Hook the computer directly to the network connection.
Open a Command Prompt window and run these commands.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

The list will show the addresses that have been assigned.
IP address, Gateway address and DNS addresses should all be assigned.

Check the addresses when you have internet and also when you do not.
Also when attached to your router.
It might give you some insight into your problem.

predator290

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

I've tried that, i can always perfectly communicate with router1. I just cant seem to get out onto the net. When it does connect it is usually the same ip. It registers the dns and everything, I can also see others on the network just fine and can ping their machines, just cant get outside the network.

predator290

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Ok, this is weird, i can only get the internet to work if i plug from the wall to the wan port of my router, which is setup for dhcp on a different subnet, i do get internet but i occasionally get drops and have to reconnect the router. BUT if i plug my pc straight into the wall i get assigned an ip but no internet. it does the same if i plug from the wall into a lan port on my router, it gives me ip, i can ping router1 just fine, but no internet. Whats wrong? is it the cable in the wall going bad? if so, how do i get internet when i plug in through the wan port?

I personally came over to one the these buildings which they had working internet, plugged in still no internet, but i get an ip.
Since you have the issue in other buildings and most users don't, how is your PC configured? DHCP and nothing else? What you describe is what happens when the default gateway is incorrect, i.e., the default gateway has to be router1. Does ipconfig /all show the correct default gateway and DNS?

predator290

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Yea, the default gate is 192.168.1.1. i get the DNS and ip from router1. My PC is configured for dhcp. everything is setup the way its supposed to be.my settings work fine everywhere else but this complex.

In a post above, you wrote "i can only get the internet to work if i plug from the wall". What do you mean by the wall? Is it an Ethernet connection to router1?

You also wrote "I can get the internet working only through the WAN port of my own router to router1. I have my personal router set to a different subnet." Can you explain what you mean and provide IP addresses and routing tables from the routers?

predator290

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Ok, there is router1 which is the router that hosts the 3 buildings in the complex, my personal router is the one i can only get internet to work if i plug in through the wan port with a different subnet of 192.168.2.1. Router1 is the 192.168.1.1 subnet. I can plug into the wall in my neighbors apartment and get instant internet connection. When i plug into my wall, i will receive an ip address from router1, But no internet. Im beginning to think that either the wire inside the wall is bad or the router1 port is going bad. Either way it doesnt make sense to me that i could get the internet to work if i plug into my personal router through the wan port on the subnet 192.168.2.1 and receive internet. All the building routers are SOHO routers and not commercial. They are all linksys i believe. My router is a linksys wrt54gs with dd-wrt. Hopefully this is more clear, sorry for sounding confusing.

In previous posts, you never made it clear that your computer(s) worked fine when connected to your neighbor's Ethernet connection.

Ask the network person to test your Ethernet connection properly. Switching to a different port is easy (he could swap your connection with your neighbor's connection), but if the cable is defective, that might be more difficult to fix. There could also be an issue with the Ethernet port in your apartment, but that's relatively easy to fix.