[SOLVED] APC UPS + PC Watts usage

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Hi guys!

I have a question related to the use of a APC UPS, being more specific, the APC Back-UPS ES 700

In the spec sheet of the product it says: "Output capacity: 700 VA / 405 Watts".

My question is: Is this value (405W) while running on battery power, meaning that if I had the PC pushing >405Watts while on battery power the UPS would not be able to handle it, or does it mean that the UPS can only output a max of 405 Watts, even when using the power outlet as power source?

When calculating the power consumption of my actual PC, using online PSU calculators, I get a max of 540W when at full load. If this 405W value is only while on battery, then I'm not worried that much, because at the moment I only use the UPS to avoid power surges, etc, there is no issues for me if the battery can't handle the PC for more than 20 or 30 seconds. But if this 405W value is the max the UPS can output even when using the power outlet as the source, then I will have issues for sure...

Does someone know the answer?

Thank you!

Solution
Yeah, but my question is: while using the power outlet as main source (not the battery) is the UPS limited to 405W of output to the PC?

I'm asking this because I've been having some issues with a GPU (RX 5600XT) crashing during high loads, and I saw some users on other forums saying that the issue was their UPS, and that connecting directly to the power outlet solved the issue.
No, the UPS doesn't limit devices to the supported wattage. You can always test by swapping your CPU to the surge only outlets on the UPS.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys!

I have a question related to the use of a APC UPS, being more specific, the APC Back-UPS ES 700

In the spec sheet of the product it says: "Output capacity: 700 VA / 405 Watts".

My question is: Is this value (405W) while running on battery power, meaning that if I had the PC pushing >405Watts while on battery power the UPS would not be able to handle it, or does it mean that the UPS can only output a max of 405 Watts, even when using the power outlet as power source?

When calculating the power consumption of my actual PC, using online PSU calculators, I get a max of 540W when at full load. If this 405W value is only while on battery, then I'm not worried that much, because at the moment I only use the UPS to avoid power surges, etc, there is no issues for me if the battery can't handle the PC for more than 20 or 30 seconds. But if this 405W value is the max the UPS can output even when using the power outlet as the source, then I will have issues for sure...

Does someone know the answer?

Thank you!
You didn't say what country you were in, but if you look at the APC runtime charts -- https://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=29 You can see that 700VA units CAN run for a couple min at 400W.
BUT if your PC could draw 540W, a power outage could happen when you are gaming (max wattage). Your UPS will NOT support that. Your PC will immediately shut down.

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, but my question is: while using the power outlet as main source (not the battery) is the UPS limited to 405W of output to the PC?

I'm asking this because I've been having some issues with a GPU (RX 5600XT) crashing during high loads, and I saw some users on other forums saying that the issue was their UPS, and that connecting directly to the power outlet solved the issue.

kanewolf

Titan

No, the UPS doesn't limit devices to the supported wattage. You can always test by swapping your CPU to the surge only outlets on the UPS.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS