Apc ups software killing win2k servers.

We now know after 2 days of trying to fix the problem:

service control panel hangs
cant acces network properties
takes ages to log on
cant unistall install programs
various other issues

All caused by APC ups software some certificate running out.
but why was it so devastating, no comments from APC or microsoft.
does anyone know why this caused so much trouble.
I almost got to the point of restoring from tape (which wouldnt of fixed it
anyway)
I know lots of other people suffered this problem so the cost in downtime
and man hours must be very high.

It has been pointed out in this newsgroup many times and on APC that you
need to upgrade to the latest version of Powerchute software.

Tom
"georgestark" <georgestark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| We now know after 2 days of trying to fix the problem:
|
| service control panel hangs
| cant acces network properties
| takes ages to log on
| cant unistall install programs
| various other issues
|
| All caused by APC ups software some certificate running out.
| but why was it so devastating, no comments from APC or microsoft.
| does anyone know why this caused so much trouble.
| I almost got to the point of restoring from tape (which wouldnt of fixed
it
| anyway)
| I know lots of other people suffered this problem so the cost in downtime
| and man hours must be very high.

"It has been pointed out in this newsgroup many times and on APC that you
need to upgrade to the latest version of Powerchute software."

you obviously didnt read my post,

I know the cause and the solution.
Just wanted more info about why it caused so many problems

Nowhere in your post did you say you had installed the updated software.

"Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:

" Nowhere in your post did you say you had installed the updated software."

I know
you obviously did read my post but just didnt understand it.

georgestark wrote:

> We now know after 2 days of trying to fix the problem:
>
> service control panel hangs
> cant acces network properties
> takes ages to log on
> cant unistall install programs
> various other issues
>
> All caused by APC ups software some certificate running out.
> but why was it so devastating, no comments from APC or microsoft.
> does anyone know why this caused so much trouble.
> I almost got to the point of restoring from tape (which wouldnt of fixed it
> anyway)
> I know lots of other people suffered this problem so the cost in downtime
> and man hours must be very high.

Hi,

Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue:

System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

APC have published a knowledge base article for this issue:

CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Thanks Torgeir for answering as oppsosed to tomm pepper who just picked.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> georgestark wrote:
>
> > We now know after 2 days of trying to fix the problem:
> >
> > service control panel hangs
> > cant acces network properties
> > takes ages to log on
> > cant unistall install programs
> > various other issues
> >
> > All caused by APC ups software some certificate running out.
> > but why was it so devastating, no comments from APC or microsoft.
> > does anyone know why this caused so much trouble.
> > I almost got to the point of restoring from tape (which wouldnt of fixed it
> > anyway)
> > I know lots of other people suffered this problem so the cost in downtime
> > and man hours must be very high.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue:
>
> System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/
>

> APC have published a knowledge base article for this issue:
>
> CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
> 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Yeah, I ended up having to pay the $245 for Microsoft support due to this.
I'd tried EVERYTHING and couldn't figure out what the hell was going on with
the most critical server on our network. Searching Technet and the
knowledgebase never turned up the APC issue at all. The Microsoft Tech asked
right away if the APC software was installed, so they are obviously fielding
a lot of calls about this. Totally unexpected.