[SOLVED] Apevia, buyer beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baranovich

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
So I'm sure many of you are already well aware of this, and others are using this brand of power supply and are having no problems at all.

But I'm posting this as a consumer warning/public service message.

I got a gaming PC on Ebay last December from a guy who had a 100% feedback rating and had sold thousands of gaming PC, nothing but high ratings from his customers. So he seemed like a really good choice for buying a ready-made gaming PC for a fairly decent price.

Well, last week I figured out his gig essentially. He uses really nice quality components for other parts of his builds. AMD, Nvidia, Intel, etc...also good hard drives, etc. But then he goes super cheap and shortcuts on power supplies.

I didn't notice when I was looking at the build I got. The rest of the components were all really good and I didn't notice the brand of power supply. So that mistake is on me.

But nevertheless, I began to read up on the brand of psu he put into my build: An Apevia 700 watt.

Oh dear god. There are warnings about Apevia on nearly every forum I visited. Burns out after a few months, fries your components within a year, etc. Mine lasted for about six months and then began making a grinding/crunching noise on startup, which is either a fan bearing or something else mechanically wrong inside it. Whatever it was, I was NOT about to take a chance and continue using it with all the warnings I had read about.

I had a Corsair AX 1200 that was still brand new in the box from a few years ago. I put that into the build today and the noise is gone and the PC is running great, NOW it has enough power to run properly.

The Apevia looks like some kind of bizarre thing you'd pull out of an appliance. It doesn't even have the usual block of ports in the back for the motherboard, PCI e, SATA, and peripherals. Nope. All of the power cables are just bundled into this single, thick rope and bundled through this round hole in the back! It's whacked. So basically you can't really swap out or test cables on it because all of them are like "hard-baked" into the interior of the psu case! You'd have to open the case to test or check anything. just weird!

So if you're using an Apevia power supply and you're not having any problems, that's awesome. But I would say watch it closely, they're not good products. You're putting your other other pc components at risk every moment you have your build hooked up to Apevia, trust me.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
I would call it more general lack of knowledge. How many PC users know anything about PSUs? How much important it is to the good working of a machine? You can't find you are sold trash if you even don't know what to look for.
Sad thing is more and more business works this way.
Right.
"700W!!" is seen to be the only thing that matters.
And that comes back to lack of research.

We've had people here state exactly that.
"I thought the wattage was the only thing that mattered."

Just like with a car.
"I thought the number of wheels was the only thing that mattered" Hence, a Yugo is just as viable as a Mercedes.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
NOW it has enough power to run properly.
There was enough power with 700W Apevia too, otherwise your PC wouldn't have worked. It's not about enough power, it's about how good is that power delivery.
The Apevia looks like some kind of bizarre thing you'd pull out of an appliance. It doesn't even have the usual block of ports in the back for the motherboard, PCI e, SATA, and peripherals. Nope. All of the power cables are just bundled into this single, thick rope and bundled through this round hole in the back! It's whacked. So basically you can't really swap out or test cables on it because all of them are like "hard-baked" into the interior of the psu case! You'd have to open the case to test or check anything. just weird!
Or in short it's just non-modular lol, a lot of budget PSUs aren't modular, it wasn't really a thing at all just some 15 years ago.
But otherwise i agree, but not because Apevia is some shady or unknown brand or this PSU is non-modular, no, just because i can't find any reviews on their PSUs. There are relatively unknown brands with good PSUs, just not this one.

USAFRet

Titan
I got a gaming PC on Ebay last December from a guy who had a 100% feedback rating and had sold thousands of gaming PC, nothing but high ratings from his customers. So he seemed like a really good choice for buying a ready-made gaming PC for a fairly decent price.
This comes from purchasers not doing their homework, and the seller relying on that lack of attention.
Emphasize the flash, cheap out on parts no one notices.

This comes from purchasers not doing their homework, and the seller relying on that lack of attention.
Emphasize the flash, cheap out on parts no one notices.
I would call it more general lack of knowledge. How many PC users know anything about PSUs? How much important it is to the good working of a machine? You can't find you are sold trash if you even don't know what to look for.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
"700W!!" is seen to be the only thing that matters.
And that comes back to lack of research.

We've had people here state exactly that.
"I thought the wattage was the only thing that mattered."

Just like with a car.
"I thought the number of wheels was the only thing that mattered" Hence, a Yugo is just as viable as a Mercedes.

Reactions: DRagor
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.