CPU - I7 8700K (Not OverClocked)
CPU COOLER - THERMAL TAKE RIING 360mm
GPU - 1070 TI
RAM - GSKILL 3200MHZ 32GB
PSU - CORSAIR RM1000X
SSD - 970 NVME EVO 500GB
SECONDARY SSD - 860 EVO 500GB
MONITOR - PG258Q 240HZ

So, I've been having an issue in Apex Legends where if i uncap my fps my game stutters and feels slow even though the fps will be at 200+. I used to have a 2080ti in this system but im currently getting an rma for it because the stuttering and was very obvious and players were ghosting. The commands ive tried in the game properties were "+fps_max 0" and "-freq 240", if i take these commands off the game caps to 144fps and it fixes the stutter but since i have a 240hz monitor there is screen tearing and I don't want to play with any form of Vsync(Yes that counts Gsync) this doesn't happen in any other games. Another side note is that if I inspect a item in the in game store on capped 144fps I can spin it around really fast with one swipe of my mouse, if i uncap the fps I have to swipe it way more almost as if having more fps slows my game speed down.(I play on 400DPI 1000hz) I'm currently on nvidia driver 417.71 because I had to downgrade from the recent drivers due to the dxg device hung error. Vsync is turned off both in game and in my nvidia control panel, windows is set to high performance, and so is my gpu in NVCP. Windows Game Mode/DVR is turned off, Ive already tried disabling fullscreen optimaztions and enabling adaptive vsync in game with vsync off in NVCP. Mouse Accel is turned off in windows and im connected to my monitor/gpu via display port.

The Programs I Have Opened While Playing:
LOGITECH GAMING SOFTWARE
INTEL RAPID STORAGE TECHNOLOGY
DISCORD
GOOGLE CHROME
CORSAIR UTILITY ENGINE

MOUSE - LOGITECH G PRO WIRED
KEYBOARD - K70 RGB

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you monitored cpu usage whilst at high fps? Seeing it's ok at lower frame rates, looks like your cpu is reaching maximum usage.

Cpu needs to pre-render every frame so depending what else is going on in-game can overwhelm.

Watch this to see what i mean.

Things you could try is overclock cpu.

Lower monitor refresh rate to 144. Not ideal i know because you want to use the monitor properly.

Move background apps you listed away from the primary core #0 using affinity. Game's still rely on the primary core so would want to free it up best you can, if this core reaches too high usage it affects the other cores.

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
Have you monitored cpu usage whilst at high fps? Seeing it's ok at lower frame rates, looks like your cpu is reaching maximum usage.

Cpu needs to pre-render every frame so depending what else is going on in-game can overwhelm.

Watch this to see what i mean.

Things you could try is overclock cpu.

Lower monitor refresh rate to 144. Not ideal i know because you want to use the monitor properly.

Move background apps you listed away from the primary core #0 using affinity. Game's still rely on the primary core so would want to free it up best you can, if this core reaches too high usage it affects the other cores.

I tested my CPU usage but it stays at around 33%, the highest I saw it go was 83% which for just a second or two, thanks for the help.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How are you monitoring cpu usage?

If using msi Afterburner there is a an entry for cpu usage called cpu to display total usage rather than spread across all threads.

1070ti wouldn't work the cpu as much as your 2080ti did, are you still getting stutters? Assuming 1070Ti isn't reaching so high fps?

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
How are you monitoring cpu usage?

If using msi Afterburner there is a an entry for cpu usage called cpu to display total usage rather than spread across all threads.

1070ti wouldn't work the cpu as much as your 2080ti did, are you still getting stutters? Assuming 1070Ti isn't reaching so high fps?

I used msi afterburner total cpu usage yes. The stutters only happen if I uncap the framerate. The 2080ti was a lot more noticeable though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
you should not have to overclock that cpu. that is a great cpu for playing games. and no game should be maxing that thing out

It is a great cpu i agree. There is a connection between cpu usage and frame rates though. 240fps is asking a lot, even from a 9900k. Apex Legends is a new game so not sure how cpu intensive it is but I'd say in today's standards it probably is, especially multiplayer.

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
I tested my gpu usage, it stays at 98-100% usage while on uncapped fps and about 60% on capped fps, could that be why? I don't have this issue in any other games with uncapped fps :(

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
It's usually if cpu usage is too high that causes problems. High gpu usage is fine, that's actually good you're getting the most out of it.

Is Gsync enabled?

If Gsync is enabled, try limit fps to 239 in-game.

I don't have gsync on and sadly apex legends doesn't let you cap fps to a certain variable above 144, you either have to go uncapped or use a version of Vsync and the cpu is still staying at around 40% while playing

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The gpu usage goes down about 3-4% and there's still a small stutter every 10 seconds or so, especially noticeable when sliding down a hill, but it does feel smoother

So these Gsync stutters happens with both cards?

Dilemma here is without Gsync, your fps aren't synced to the monitor and there's a high chance of tear/micro stutters.

Gsync is suppose to sync your frames and eliminate Vsync input lag. Gsync's range is between 30Hz~240Hz so fps between 30 to 240 should be very smooth.

I would try sort Gsync problem out, possibly reinstall drivers (or try an older driver before 417.71 when Gsync over Freesync was introduced) may help. Use DDU first in safemode to wipe nvidia drivers.

DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

---

If you try this, once you've installed drivers, try with Gsync on, Vsync to application control. Also set Preferred refresh rate to highest available, this setting is just under power management mode.

---

Can also view the Geforce forums for any info that may help

SPECS:
MOBO - ASROCK Z370 KILLER SLI/AC
CPU - I7 8700K (Not OverClocked)
CPU COOLER - THERMAL TAKE RIING 360mm
GPU - 1070 TI
RAM - GSKILL 3200MHZ 32GB
PSU - CORSAIR RM1000X
SSD - 970 NVME EVO 500GB
SECONDARY SSD - 860 EVO 500GB
MONITOR - PG258Q 240HZ

So, I've been having an issue in Apex Legends where if i uncap my fps my game stutters and feels slow even though the fps will be at 200+. I used to have a 2080ti in this system but im currently getting an rma for it because the stuttering and was very obvious and players were ghosting. The commands ive tried in the game properties were "+fps_max 0" and "-freq 240", if i take these commands off the game caps to 144fps and it fixes the stutter but since i have a 240hz monitor there is screen tearing and I don't want to play with any form of Vsync(Yes that counts Gsync) this doesn't happen in any other games. Another side note is that if I inspect a item in the in game store on capped 144fps I can spin it around really fast with one swipe of my mouse, if i uncap the fps I have to swipe it way more almost as if having more fps slows my game speed down.(I play on 400DPI 1000hz) I'm currently on nvidia driver 417.71 because I had to downgrade from the recent drivers due to the dxg device hung error. Vsync is turned off both in game and in my nvidia control panel, windows is set to high performance, and so is my gpu in NVCP. Windows Game Mode/DVR is turned off, Ive already tried disabling fullscreen optimaztions and enabling adaptive vsync in game with vsync off in NVCP. Mouse Accel is turned off in windows and im connected to my monitor/gpu via display port.

The Programs I Have Opened While Playing:
LOGITECH GAMING SOFTWARE
INTEL RAPID STORAGE TECHNOLOGY
DISCORD
GOOGLE CHROME
CORSAIR UTILITY ENGINE

MOUSE - LOGITECH G PRO WIRED
KEYBOARD - K70 RGB

Reason this happens is because your CPU has to work harder with higher frames.

Try capping at 120 fps and see if it fixes the issue.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try limiting your frames, CPU can't catch up with a powerful GPU.

I thought about that too at first with a 2080Ti, the frame rate might be too high but he's rma'd it and is running 1070Ti.

With Gsync off / vsync off / fps uncapped it doesn't look fluent. There is an improvement with Gsync enabled but there's a stutter every few moments. I think it's a Gsync issue either with the driver, possibly game or both.

Feb 2, 2019
I thought about that too at first with a 2080Ti, the frame rate might be too high but he's rma'd it and is running 1070Ti.

With Gsync off / vsync off / fps uncapped it doesn't look fluent. There is an improvement with Gsync enabled but there's a stutter every few moments. I think it's a Gsync issue either with the driver, possibly game or both.
I agree its a driver/game issue, I have an almost identical setup as op, 2080 ti 240hz monitor the game stutters for me as well/feels crappy at 200fps + crashes randomly without error, and coming from other fps games (OW BFV CSGO) aiming feels really weird as if there is some form of mouse accel

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could be the game then since Bigdinosaur has the same problem.

Hmm couple of other things to try.

388 version driver from Nvidia which are apparently best performing drivers for 10series Gtx.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/126903/en-us

Lower refresh rate to 144. Possibly the game's engine can't cope/buggy with high fps and or Hz. Maybe the game's vsync is causing Gsync troubles.

If other games run fine, might want to get in contact at Ea forums for answers.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Apex-Legends/ct-p/apex-legends-en