Aplicata Quad M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe x8 Adapter Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, there's a certain kid in a candy store kind of thing about articles like this.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I was too stupid to understand anything the article said, but not too stupid to have questions. Are you allowed to mix and match the four M.2 SSDs with different brands and capacities? Do the four M.2 SSDs appear as 4 different drives (with different drive letters) or does that depend on if they are RAIDed?

PancakePuppy

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

Functionally, the card is just a carrier for the PCIe packet switch, associated support components, and M.2 connectors. It should be completely unaware of NVMe, so you could plug in 4 of the same SSDs, or 4 completely different ones, or 2 SSDs and 2 M.2 to PCIe edge connector adapters, all fair game.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
curious as to why this isn't added to the backside of eatx or atx boards or even matx boards with some kind of heansink plate particularly to the x299 and x399 boards that support enough pcie lanes.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Running a RAID-0 of 4 drives mostly makes sense if you're using it for caching or scratch space. I wouldn't use this to hold the primary copy of any data I really care about.

Now, if they included a RAID-5 controller that could keep up with these drives, that would be very interesting.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Hmmm...

• ■ Cost - high end motherboards are already quite expensive. They couldn't add something like this without driving away nearly all the customers who didn't want this specific feature.
    ■ Cooling - most cases don't direct much airflow to the underside of mobos.
    ■ Accessibility - most cases require motherboard removal to access the bottom, except for a cutout under the CPU.
    ■ Small market - it's not uncommon to find 2x M.2 NVMe slots on higher-end motherboards. What % of the market for a given motherboard really wants > 2?
Need we go on?

IMO, this is the best option: easily accessible, likely to have good airflow, and can be paired with many different motherboards. You could even install multiple, if you're doing something particularly crazy. Like trying to host big files over 100 Gbps Ethernet.

BTW, if a motherboard did add something like this, then it would make more sense to place the M.2 boards perpendicular to the motherboard and add a bracket to hold the other ends. This could take the place of one of the expansion card slots, so you'd have some airflow moving across them.

GAMES LOADING much faster than what an SSD can already do is highly unlikely considering an SSD that is 4x faster than another SSD show little difference in loading times.

Games still have CPU and GPU tasks that take up a big bulk of that loading time which a faster drive will not help with.

AnarchoPrimitiv

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
ACtually, the FIRST one of these cards brought to the market is the Highpoint Technologies SSD7101A-1 that's ALREADY been on Newegg for a while, come on Tom, get your stuff together

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> BTW, if a motherboard did add something like this, then it would make more sense to place the M.2 boards perpendicular to the motherboard and add a bracket to hold the other ends.

See the ASUS DIMM.2 slot.

Damn, if this thing was like $50-70, it's be a real nice way to get more M.2 slots in a desktop PC. But at that price point, it's really only going to work for Workstation class systems where you use them to make money.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> There are plenty of products like what you're describing.

Yes, indeed: the market is flourishing with NVMe solutions.

Our focus here has been to promote RAID controllers
with x16 edge connectors and 4 x M.2 ports.

The main reason for this preference is the MAX upstream
bandwidth that is imposed by Intel's DMI 3.0 link
(exact same bandwidth as a single NVMe M.2 port).

There is an engineering elegance that obtains from
4 x NVMe M.2 SSDs @ x4 PCIe 3.0 lanes = x16 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

What many prosumers would prefer is a bootable RAID controller
that supports all modern RAID modes with 4 x NVMe M.2 SSDs.

One User at another Forum has reported success getting the
driver software for the Highpoint SSD7110 to work with the
Highpoint SSD7101. And, Highpoint has said they are working
on making the SSD7101 "officially" bootable.

I'm assuming, without proof, that Highpoint are also working
on making their SSD7120 bootable.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I am a little concerned about this type of product in respect to the fact that I primarily use laptops these days that are maxed out i7's with 32 or more gb of ram.

I have been considering building a new desktop (the last one I build was a socket 775 with a Q6600 in it).

If I don't really "need" a desktop right now and started from scratch, I would love to put one of these it in it, but I am also needing to consider that PCIe 3.x is going out soon for PCIe 4 and PCIe 5 is maybe 4 years out, so:

Do I build a PCIe 3.x based system now with DDR-4, massive i9's or thread ripper processors and put one of these in, or do I wait for the speed advantage of PCIe 4 or 5? Considering the laptops are working just fine for now.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> "We're testing the older Quad M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe x8 Adapter. Aplicata released the x16 card a few days ago for systems that support bifurcation, but the Quad x8 has broader compatibility."

The x8 edge connector explains why the sequential READ speeds
are hovering around 6,000 MB/second.

With an x16 edge connector, sequential READ speeds are
exceeding 10,000 MB/second with similar add-in cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.