[SOLVED] App thumbnails disappearing until I log off and back on

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
I'm talking about this. Randomly my app thumbnails disappear for most apps. This happened twice so far on a 4 month old PC. It's resolved by Singing out and back it.

I doesn't really bother me, I'd just like to know why this happens.

QzKsuNC.png

Solution
Have you tried running disk cleanup? it might be a caching problem.
  1. Open your File Explorer. Click This PC.
  2. Right-click the drive where you Windows is installed.
  3. Select Properties. Then select Disk Cleanup.
  4. Check the box next to Thumbnails. Make sure all other options are unchecked.
  5. Click OK and the Delete Files.
To get rid of unnecessary thumbnail cache and make your system show thumbnails again, you need to execute the following commands, using your Command Prompt. Here is how you can do that:

1. Click on the Windows logo icon on your Taskbar. The start menu will open.
  2. Now locate the Search area. Type ‘cmd’ (without quotes) into Search and hit Enter.
  3. Locate Command Prompt in the list of available...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried running disk cleanup? it might be a caching problem.
  1. Open your File Explorer. Click This PC.
  2. Right-click the drive where you Windows is installed.
  3. Select Properties. Then select Disk Cleanup.
  4. Check the box next to Thumbnails. Make sure all other options are unchecked.
  5. Click OK and the Delete Files.
To get rid of unnecessary thumbnail cache and make your system show thumbnails again, you need to execute the following commands, using your Command Prompt. Here is how you can do that:

1. Click on the Windows logo icon on your Taskbar. The start menu will open.
  2. Now locate the Search area. Type ‘cmd’ (without quotes) into Search and hit Enter.
  3. Locate Command Prompt in the list of available options.
  4. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator. This will open an elevated Command Prompt window.
  5. To begin with, you should stop File Explorer. For this purpose, type the following command into the Command Prompt window and press the Enter key: taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
  6. Now let’s delete thumbnails from your database by using the following command: del /f /s /q /a %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db Then press Enter.
  7. It is time to start File Explorer: start explorer.exe
Finally, exit the Command Prompt window and restart your PC. Check if your thumbnails are present and displayed correctly.

both of those fixes are from here - they are a little confused as Fix 1 & 3 are the same. Both lead to disk cleanup. Don't buy anything off them.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS