Question apparently my usb ports aren't getting enough power, will a new motherboard fix it?

Blakewalk

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
my oculus hasnt been working and ive been told that it is due to my usb ports not getting enough power, ive been looking at a new motherboard, but dont want to spend the time and money to get it working unless it fixes the problem.

Blakewalk

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
thats a decent unit, but still for power issues start with the PSU, can you access a spare for testing?
I dont think so, the only way I can think of getting a spare one is to pull one out of my brother's PC, but I wouldn't be able to do it for very long b/c he'd want to use it, is there some program that can check the power output to the ports so i can tell if it's working immediately?

R_1

Illustrious
Herald
programs will rely on the motherboard sensors and as the motherboard may be in question I still suggest swapping with your brother. swap and let your unit power his and vice versa.
each system testing the other PSU.
swap for an hour or a day, what have you, get the answer and swap back. total downtime should be small.

Blakewalk

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
programs will rely on the motherboard sensors and as the motherboard may be in question I still suggest swapping with your brother. swap and let your unit power his and vice versa.
each system testing the other PSU.
swap for an hour or a day, what have you, get the answer and swap back. total downtime should be small.
ok, ill see what i can do

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
Can also depend on the port. All USB ports are 5v, but the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1,500mA (1.5A).

Using a standard USB 2.0 port will provide voltage but maybe not amperage, and P = V x A. It'd be best to use one of the rear ports, there's usually 1 at least that's dedicated to charging. (fast charge etc).

stonecarver

Upstanding
Nov 18, 2019

ASK THE COMMUNITY