Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus And iOS 8 Off To A Rough Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
The iSheep is a strong breed... It will prevail.

Apple's response will be "You're holding it wrong" "You're using the wrong jean accessory"

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I was told 'android phones are much more buggy' by a friend yesterday. Sure all of my Android phones have had bugs but they get less and less as I purchase better phones. IOS8 caused a 70+% increase in usability issues ?? LOLOL

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I have a Nokia 1020 and my buddy has the S5 and the iPhone 6 plus. Love Cortana wayyyy better than Siri and Android not even in the PA conversation. iPhone 6+ has the best camera and best sound out of the 3. Still going to wait to see what Nokia/Microsoft comes out with next, I bet the new 41 mp Nokia is gonna wipe the floor with the iPhone. For now though iPhone camera is king, test it yourself. I'd also say don't believe the hype about the bending problem and buggy software always happens in the beginning with all OS'es.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is not unusual for a NEW OS... when you are the FIRST to get the latest, expect to get bit.

The bending issue could be a design feature... if the phone itself doesn't BREAK, and is perfectly functional. Think of bridges... they FLEX, they move... if they were built RIDGED, they would fail.

PS: I don't own any iPhones. I'm a happy Moto-X user... who is not thrilled by the BIGGER Moto X2/X+ models.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Not that I'm a fan of Apple, but I wish Jobs was still around. Regardless of the evils Jobs unleashed, he did push the industry forward with new standards and innovations (i.e better phone chasis, panels on phones, laptops, etc) when the other big companies were afraid to do so. RIP Jobs, you will be missed.

Matt Brown

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Issues with iOS 8 (a fresh software launch - not Apple's strong suit as history has shown) aside, this is what I'm taking away from this article:

"Whaa? You mean my ultra-thin phone bends when I put my ass weight on it??"

"Whaa? You mean this Wii-mote doesn't stay in my hand if I don't hold onto it??"

All I can say is I'm not in the habit of subjecting my expensive electronic devices to unnecessary stress and then complaining they're of inferior quality when they break as a result.

Matt Brown

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

If it bends with 'little pressure' as you've confidently stated, it seems that either most people are OK with some bending or are simply not experiencing the issue. Current reports indicate that in the first 6 days after release, a total of 9 customers have reported the bending issue with their iPhone 6 plus mobile devices. I wonder just how much of this is overinflation by Apple's critics/haters and how much of it is legitimate engineering concern. Granted, we've not yet officially heard from carriers/insurance providers on bending-failure rates, but knowing firsthand how insane these loyal customers are about their devices, and how readily they flock to the genius bar when there's even a small issue, that's a fairly unconvincing ratio. I'll withhold final judgement here until someone posts some actual numbers, but ultimately it seems that bending an iPhone 6 in my front pocket (if I get one) under normal circumstances won't be an issue unless I'm planning on doing some gymnastics.

Furthermore, all phones have different levels of durability. You could break just about any mobile device in your bare hands if you really wanted to. Some are more durable than others. Durability is something every user should consider when buying a phone, because your use habits will determine just how durable it needs to be. But that's just ONE of MANY factors to consider. You shouldn't buy shorts for a trip to Alaska any more than you should buy a super thin/light phone if you're just going to sit on it.

flowingbass

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Looks like they've missed an infinitely self replicating bender... He still on the loose bending iphone 6'es and shit. Dont be surprised if one day all of the world's water turns into alcohol...

flowingbass

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Looks like they've missed an infinitely self replicating bender... He still on the loose bending iphone 6'es and shit. Dont be surprised if one day all of the world's water turns into alcohol...

Matt Brown

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
blah blah blah

Only 9 phones? ALL the new iPhones can bend as easily. It is a design flaw. They ALL bend that way. You arguments are weak and lame. All other phones can be put in your pocket. This is a massive iFail and only fanatics defend this.

Yes, only 9 reported. Of course, I'm sure you've personally tested each of them, so your claim that it's a design flaw affecting all of the phones can be taken at your word. ;)

You may find my arguments 'weak and lame', but those adjectives tell me nothing about your actual objections to the ideas I put forth. For the record, I think your arguments are baseless and generalized :D

You can still put the new iphone in your pocket (though again, gymnastics are likely out of the question). Dangit!! That's the whole reason I wanted a bigger phone!! ;)

I'm sure this phone is destined for utter failure, across the board (a 'massive iFail', if you will), because you've decreed as such in your infinite wisdom. ;)

Or you know...not. I'm not claiming it's the best device ever made, but I'm sure it's quite adequate for performing it's daily functions. To come out and claim it's some sort of massive failure is a tad premature, even for someone with as much experience as yourself, don't you think? ;)

Matt Brown

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
1) first case reported was a guy who had it in his front pocket of his suit pants and was only sitting down or walking. no gymnastics!
2) Many sites have tested and bent the new apple phone and all tests show they ALL bend. Design flaw because they didn't use a composite plastic shell inside to reinforce the phone because they wanted it to be thinner.
3) All other phones tested from other companies do not have this problem.
4) It is a massive fail! If people still buy them it is a testament to how gullible and brainwashed apple users are. I would never buy such a flimsy constructed phone. This is not my opinion. Tests have been done and Apple has failed.

Ok, last response in here, whether this sinks in or not.

1) First case - a single case (out of how many?) wherein the claim is that 'I was only walking or sitting down'. Even if this is true, it's still only one case out of a sea of cases. Given the apparent amount of force necessary to bend it in the videos online, I'm wondering how you could manage to NOT notice the stress you're putting on the phone in your pocket. It will be interesting to see some actual numbers from carriers/insurance agencies, but I'm yet unconvinced that this device is going to bend with normal use.

2) As I already stated, all phones can be bent or broken, not just the new iphone 6 plus. It's a question of force needed - apparently still a fair amount in this case, although admittedly less than for most other phones. My question is - how long does it really take one to notice that their phone is under this much pressure while still in his/her pocket?

3) All phones are built differently. Because Galaxy devices are made with plastic, they don't bend (at least, they don't bend much and subsequently hold that shape). They're also cheaper to make than iPhones. Does that make them better? Well, if you're like me and don't use your phone as a hammer, no, not really. If you typically use a case with your phone, no, not really. If you're a woman and carry your phone in your purse, no, not really. See what I'm getting at here?

4) Perhaps they have (gasp!). But, there are always naysayers lingering around launch time, squawking about this or that perceived flaw. Then the devices sell really well, and things carry on as usual, then there's a new one, etc.

Thing is, people value different things in their electronics. While some may prefer one device over another because of it's strength and durability, others might prefer the other because it's lighter and thinner. One is not necessarily better - just different.

And if they have, it'll be interesting to see what they do about it.

While we're at it...phone cases. They're everywhere. I always have one on my phone (whatever it happens to be). I do this because I know I may drop it at some point. I've never had a screen break or a phone bend.

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Common sense says wait until a new product or OS or patch has been out for a while before buying, installing, or applying it. Let others work out the bugs. But no, Apple fans wait in line to be the first to own it. Paying big bucks to be a beta tester is not very bright.

GarthA

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Let's face it, The new iphones are really good looking but common sense tells you that just looking at them they aren't going to withstand much bending pressure. They are a bit delicate and fragile and will have to have their thickness compromised with a protective case. What I find really funny (and I have a 4s) is the apple community that used to deride the samsungs size and now its the greatest thing since...well you know what I mean. As far as plastic vs alumn. case goes, some people are more concerned with style than function. Right now I think plastic wins for the larger phone sizes.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Ah this reminds me of the time when you couldnt make calls with your iphone because u were holding it the "wrong" way. Now you carrying it the "wrong" way.

Status
Not open for further replies.