News Apple 14-Inch MacBook Pro M2 Teardown Reveals Big Changes Due to Substrate Pricing

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
“the company has always been conservative with storage, offering high-priced upgrades”

It’s a choice set of words. And I always have to wonder what the motivation is behind them. Personal? Professional?

Could’ve subbed ‘conservative’ with ‘stingy’ or ‘greedy’. The author could’ve swung the other way with ‘brave’. Who remembers when Apple declared themselves ‘brave’ for removing the 3.5mm headphone jack (which had absolutely nothing to do with wanting to sell Airpods lol)?

Anyway, I’d rate it as a fairly neutral take that’s just offering a little context. More or less reporting facts without apparently pushing an agenda.

Bravo

Jan 30, 2023
The complaint that the newer "heatsink" is smaller seems backwards to me. That's not a heatsink, it's a heat spreader. You want the heat spreader to have as little thermal mass as possible, for the same reason that hardcore overclockers will delid their CPUs. You don't want to store heat next to the CPU, you want to move it elsewhere as quickly as possible. The actual heatsinks are at the 2 opposite ends of the heat pipe, by the fans.

Reactions: artk2219
The complaint that the newer "heatsink" is smaller seems backwards to me. That's not a heatsink, it's a heat spreader. You want the heat spreader to have as little thermal mass as possible, for the same reason that hardcore overclockers will delid their CPUs. You don't want to store heat next to the CPU, you want to move it elsewhere as quickly as possible. The actual heatsinks are at the 2 opposite ends of the heat pipe, by the fans.
It's 2 sides coin, low mass means CPU will instantly go to max temp, and that's what you see on the m2. A big copper plate with embedded heat pipe would make temps climb much slower, which in turn would prolong the life of silicon. Fast jumps in temp usually means, thermal cracks.
It's likely a move to pronounce "light" with sacrifice on longevity of the machine. Thermally m2's are extremely poor design, and I believe they want it that way, as that chip will burn out right after the warranty expires, and a new one will be out.

Feb 2, 2023
Isn't nand flash pricing at an all-time low Right now? I'm confused how removing two chips on a low on pricing with a 2-year study decrease is a more expensive implementation.(all time low as well) From what I can tell at worst it cost them the same as it did last time to make the old implementation.(maybe I'm getting inflation wrong?) From what I can tell there's about a 35% decrease in the market since 2020. During the same time period There's been about 13 to 14% US inflation. If somebody has better market data please link it to me.
I just read multiple articles talking about how they're cutting back on manufacturing because they are making too many chips. (Compared to demand) If there was such a shortage on 128 gig modules currently why would the price be at an all-time low. I don't understand why it wouldn't go up or stay the same if there was such a demand.
The most charitable case I can think of is they made a product for market conditions that no longer exist. (Or I got my math or data wrong)

Feb 4, 2023
Could’ve subbed ‘conservative’ with ‘stingy’ or ‘greedy’. The author could’ve swung the other way with ‘brave’. Who remembers when Apple declared themselves ‘brave’ for removing the 3.5mm headphone jack (which had absolutely nothing to do with wanting to sell Airpods lol)?

I remember. I also remember them trying to spin their anti-repair stance to be about safety and security ("fire risks," "cut fingers"), the forced iPhone/iOS slowdown, Tim Cook prattling on about social justice and things unrelated to computing for hours, and generally, them treating consumers and developers like know-nothing cows from which to extract the sweet flowing dulce.

I remember a lot.