News Apple A15 Bionic Powers iPad Mini

Dave Haynie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
Can you guys in the press get a little education and JUST STOP IT. There is no optical zoom on the iPhone 13 or any other smartphone. You have several fixed focal length cameras, and you have some software that can SOFTWARE ZOOM between camera. And sometimes software zoom (aka, digital zoom) from just one camera.. like they did 15 years ago.

Seriously guys, stop lying to the public just because all of the other tech press doesn't understand the technology.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Can you guys in the press get a little education and JUST STOP IT. There is no optical zoom on the iPhone 13 or any other smartphone. You have several fixed focal length cameras, and you have some software that can SOFTWARE ZOOM between camera. And sometimes software zoom (aka, digital zoom) from just one camera.. like they did 15 years ago.

Seriously guys, stop lying to the public just because all of the other tech press doesn't understand the technology.
Hey relax buddy - it's just terminology that is a little clumsy when applied to smartphones rather than conventional cameras. The telephoto lens has a focal length 3x larger than the standard lens - which is an optical 'zoom'. Sure it isn't really a 'zoom' lens since the focal length isn't adjustable, but it is achieved optically.

People calling a telephoto lens a zoom lens is just a different use of terminology that you may not like, but it's not going to change.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

g-unit1111

Titan
This is the first time in a long time I've actually been interested in iPhone. Especially with Samsung getting rid of micro SD cards and their file systems limited to 256GB or 512GB, and the newest iPhone sporting a full 1TB, it might finally be time for me to switch when I'm due for an upgrade.