Apple A6 Chip in Early Production Stages at TSMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Apple is such a whore. They sue Samsung and drop them from making any chips for the apple. If I was TSMC I wouldn't get too comfortable.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Nvidia's Tegra 2 is so far behind Power VR's SGX543 series Kal-El needs to great just to make up for lost ground on the older technology let alone trying to compete against the A6. I just wish Google with its Android OS would ditch Nvidia's Tegra 2 and go with the hugely superior Power VR solution.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Apple is such a whore. They sue Samsung and drop them from making any chips for the apple. If I was TSMC I wouldn't get too comfortable.[/citation]
I wouldn't be suprised if we see Intel be the next target. Apples is filing patents for the MacBook Air and very soon could start suing Intel cause they want to help introduce Ultrabooks for the PC manufacturers.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]I wouldn't be suprised if we see Intel be the next target. Apples is filing patents for the MacBook Air and very soon could start suing Intel cause they want to help introduce Ultrabooks for the PC manufacturers.[/citation]

Apple is one of the companies behind INTEL's ultrabook project, if not the only one right now. But I imagine INTEL wants more clients aboard.

kingkuei

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Maximus_Delta[/nom]Looks like the 28nm TSMC process is all good, so why no word yet on the next gen graphics cards ??[/citation]

Yield rates are probably still low compared to larger, but more mature processes.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I would love to see "Crapple" suing Intel for patent violation, only to get real butthurt by Intel. These patent allegation are nothing more than dramatic soap operas that in the end the she... I mean the customers gets the worst end. It would be much simpler if "all" of us boycott Apple into start acting like a well civilized corporation, I mean no greedy-capitalistic behavior, Or else: no more money for its products.

kingkuei

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Isn't it kind of late to start early production of A6 now, when the next iPhone is set to launch October?[/citation]

Next iPhone gets the A5 chip. This A6 is for the generation AFTER that, likely debuting in the next iPad first given its larger size and battery, it can better handle heat dissipation and power draw, which are much more difficult engineering issues to deal with when you get into the smaller form of the iPhone.

anastasios912

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]I wouldn't be suprised if we see Intel be the next target. Apples is filing patents for the MacBook Air and very soon could start suing Intel cause they want to help introduce Ultrabooks for the PC manufacturers.[/citation]

And that certainly wouldn't surprise me. Apple has a great business model (obviously because they make BOAT loads of cash) and I like some of their products, namely mac os (I don't use it, but a lot of the features are very nice) but this kind of shit really pisses me off. They have so much power it is ridiculous, and their followers remind me of lemmings, they'd follow them to the ends of the earth. Anything that has an Apple branding on it deserves complete worship and all other products are horribly designed because Steve Jobs didn't oversee production. Complete BS

(and I know people like this lol, it's a PRODUCT people. We're just dollars and cents to them, pick the one you like best, no need to argue over which mobile phone operating system is superior, give me a break. It amazes me how people can adopt consumer products as a part of their identity)

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Apple is such a whore. They sue Samsung and drop them from making any chips for the apple. If I was TSMC I wouldn't get too comfortable.[/citation]
TSMC has nothing to worry about. Unless they want to start making products that copy Apple.

I'll say it again: I bet the person in charge of Samsung's Electronics division is pissed at whoever is in charge of the phone/tablet division for causing them to lose $7.8 billion in sales because they couldn't come up with their own designs.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]TSMC has nothing to worry about. Unless they want to start making products that copy Apple.I'll say it again: I bet the person in charge of Samsung's Electronics division is pissed at whoever is in charge of the phone/tablet division for causing them to lose $7.8 billion in sales because they couldn't come up with their own designs.[/citation]

There is nothing wrong with having a little pride in what you own ;P

It's our differences in tastes that make us unique no matter if you hate or love a product line with a passion.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Good for competition... So Apple can check how its products will perform through another company & also it gives other companies the chance for stable income for a certain contract time period.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
[citation][nom]kingkuei[/nom]Next iPhone gets the A5 chip. This A6 is for the generation AFTER that, likely debuting in the next iPad first given its larger size and battery, it can better handle heat dissipation and power draw, which are much more difficult engineering issues to deal with when you get into the smaller form of the iPhone.[/citation]

I expect the real reason we may see it in the next iPad first would simply be product cycles. I wouldn't expect power draw and heat dissipation to be the main concerns as they are moving to a more efficient manufacturing process (28nm). They just need to get the yield down to an acceptable level, and hopefully it will be ready in time for the retina display iPad. Certainly before iPhone 6 emerges.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Nvidia's Tegra 2 is so far behind Power VR's SGX543 series Kal-El needs to great just to make up for lost ground on the older technology let alone trying to compete against the A6. I just wish Google with its Android OS would ditch Nvidia's Tegra 2 and go with the hugely superior Power VR solution.[/citation]

Wow pass me whatever you're smoking, or back up your statements with facts and quit trolling.

Tegra 2 in the Xoom, running 35% higher pixels than iPad 2 performs roughly half as fast. The Xoom is running a middle or the road Tegra2 chip @333mhz, top end is 400mhz. The iPad 2 is running the most powerful chip PowerVR makes. If you had a top end Tegra2 alongside a top end PowerVR chip at the same resolutions they would perform on par with each other.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/apple-ipad-2-gpu-performance-explored-powervr-sgx543mp2-benchmarked/2

For an oranges to oranges comparison of a middle of the road Tegra2 vs a middle of the road PowerVR 540 check out the link below.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/lg-optimus-2x-nvidia-tegra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/8

Status
Not open for further replies.