Apple A7 vs Desktop CPU

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm wondering out of sheer curiosity, if in fact there is a benchmark out there that compares the CPU chip in the new iPhone 5s to desktop PC CPUs. I tried Googling this, but no luck. Can this even be compared? What I'm really wondering is, where we are in the mobile phone arena vs the desktop PC. We keep hearing the death of the desktop PC is coming near.

Where would the A7 fit on Tom's Hardware's CPU hierarchy?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I doubt there would be any benchmarks to compare as they are different type of architectures (A7 is ARM RISC, and PC CPUs are x86). It would be more comparable with low power cpus like Intel Atoms and low end AMD APUs, no where near mid range-high end pc stuff, purely due to the power consumption needs and heat.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I have just searched and found some geekbench benchmarks:

400626-benchmarking-a7.jpg

To compare with PC:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2008)
3000 MHz (2 cores)
Score: 3056

AMD A10-6800K
4100 MHz (4 cores)
Score: 7221

Intel Core i7-4770K
3500 MHz (4 cores)
Score: 16116

I found these scores here, and choose 64 bit multicore:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

So, essentially what you're saying is, the A7 isn't quite as powerful as a desktop CPU of 2008?

Again, just trying to figure out where we're at in terms of smartphones vs desktops. The age old question (or joke question, if you will) always comes to mind, "But can it run Crysis?" Looks like the time to ditch the Desktop PC isn't in sight in the near future but it's nice to know where technology stands today.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yes thats more or less correct. The fact that they can get that much processing power in a phone with the power and heat requirements is still very good.