Apple Acknowledges iOS 6 Maps Failure, Hiring New Devs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]azz156[/nom]woo firsti tested it from home to work n it works fine here in australia though i'd rather use my tomtom app[/citation]

2rd

but thumbs up for living in aus :)

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Tuan Mai[/nom]it is still surprising to see Apple's maps application launch with so many obvious flaws[/citation]
You're funny! :)

G

Apple is only admitting this to more quickly recruit some software engineers from their legion of drones and get the problem fixed. Once they're satisfied, they'll start suing the blogs for hosting "copyrighted Apple intellectual property" and strongarming news sites like this one into removing any articles that mentioned it, and just like that it will have never happened. The Dems and the Reps got nothing on Apple's PR goons...

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Too little too late. Google's had swarms of devs working on its app for years. The notion that Apple can surpass let alone catch up is fantasy.

Apple sacrificed the user-experience for corporate revenge and an insatiable appetite for control. Crap company and now a crappy phone to go with.

G

It's not a bug, it's a feature!
Or, in the words of the late S. Jobs: You're using it wrong!!

G

they should at least draw a show direction line to tell me where to start climbing? update the feature please.....

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
First rule of software engineering - don't reinvent the wheel. Google Maps does the job and does it flawlessly so Apple is just wasting time and money here.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
List of Apple mistakes...

Apple Newton MessagePad
Apple TV under construction since 2007
Apple USB Mouse
Macintosh clones
Copland OS
Macintosh Performa series
Macintosh Portable
Pippin
Power Mac G4 Cube
PowerBook Duo series
eWorld
Ping

And now for #13... Apple Maps :)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]List of Apple mistakes...Apple Newton MessagePadApple TV under construction since 2007Apple USB MouseMacintosh clonesCopland OSMacintosh Performa seriesMacintosh PortablePippin Power Mac G4 CubePowerBook Duo serieseWorldPing And now for #13... Apple Maps :)[/citation]
I can't argue that. We all make mistakes...let's hope Apple learns from this one.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The Apple maps exhibit exactly the same flaws as Google maps a few years ago... Not surprising and from a technical point of view, perfectly understandable.
But when you charge 1,5x times the price of similar competitor phone for your product, you have to deliver the best experience. Choosing an inferior solution at the expense of your fellow customers just to (try) to throw a competitor out of the race is totaly unacceptable!

[citation][nom]jaydub3423[/nom]It's not a bug, it's a feature!Or, in the words of the late S. Jobs: You're using it wrong!![/citation]
Nah, Apple will start changing the face of the Earth to make it look like their maps...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I haven't used it (no devices that will run iOS6), but from the numerous stories I've heard, the problems, while obviously absurd, don't seem to impact a majority of iOS device users, and apparently in most metropolitan areas, directions work just fine. But some of the more-rural areas have issues--heard recently that a tiny farm in some rural part of France or the UK was labeled as a major airport...lol!

But it's still perplexing why apple would intentionally release a product with such obvious flaws. I know the "if Steve Jobs were alive" comments are getting very very old, but it has some validity vs. how the company got as far as it has--after reading the SJ biography, you get some bit of insight into what was not okay, and a "mostly-working" product was never acceptable, and one with obvious flaws was usually canned.

G

It is pretty simple: As Aplle booted out Jobs the first time they nearly got bankrupt due to their mistakes. When Jobs came back he made the company to what it is now. Now Jobs was booted out from life and Apple will decline again.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Apple is even hiring Google engineers... :)

Here are simple solution: (A) re-instate Google Maps and be done with it. If MS can sell MS-Office on Mac and Safari for PC (LOL!) then bringing back Google is no where near as STUPID as the garbage you replaced it with. or (B) Licence the MAPPING data from Google into your own map APP... shit, why bother, option A.

Option (C) - spending the next 5 years catching up to 2010 quality will be a sad joke.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]List of Apple mistakes...Apple Newton MessagePadApple TV under construction since 2007Apple USB MouseMacintosh clonesCopland OSMacintosh Performa seriesMacintosh PortablePippin Power Mac G4 CubePowerBook Duo serieseWorldPing And now for #13... Apple Maps :)[/citation]
Awe, the cube was pretty cool, and the overheating issue did not plague all of them. I recently caught hold of a cube and maxed it out (1.5GB of ram, 500GB HDD, cinema display, etc) and it keeps up surprisingly well, granted the only thing I use it for is an old game that was mac-specific. But I wish more modern PCs took the large over-sized passive heat-sink approach, instead of the new thin but sqeeley fan approach. With modern CPUs you could actually get away with that kind of from factor, with no fans, and an SSD for an absolutely silent PC.

the rest of them were really bad failures though.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Existing is their #1 mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.