Apple Allegedly Boycotts German Tech Site Over 'Bendgate' Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I'm having trouble finding any evidence that devices getting bent in normal usage is more than just a handful of users with unusually tight pants. I don't think tests like this are representative of the stresses that phones will get in normal usage but Apple's response doesn't seem appropriate either.

Agree, I think it is blown up a bit since this has not happened to may people, but the fact that Apple will not acknowledge these issues really makes me angry. If they would rightfully acknowledge these problems, developed a stronger 6+, and replaced anyone's iPhone who bent, than that would be a good honest company to stick with.

bolweval

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I can bend any cell phone, I tried this with a couple iphone 3's i had laying around, and they bend too. I can't understand all this BS, its not a brick, it's an effin phone man.

tryingmybest

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
Iphone 6 plus DOES bend near the buttons .

Apple made a Mistake in Design . and all people who are ignoring this will regret it after 6 months of use , you will see .

you CANT make the Phone that slim and keep the buttons the same side NEAR EACH OTHERS and made them longer buttons as well , which made the case VERY WEAK in that spot.

and people who believe the Test Apple made , they applied the pressure on the middle of the phone not to the upper part where the weak spot is.

here are the Mistakes :

1- All the three buttons near each other in very slim case.
2- made the buttons longer again because the case is slimmer and abandoned the circular buttons which made the weak spot weaker.

the solution ?

put all the buttons on the TOP , or change the material of the Body . go back to the GLASS design.

What I'm having trouble believing is that out of ALL of the phones they've sold since release that only 9 incidents were reported by Apple. Further, openly and rather defiantly stating the numbers are that low sure seems as though you're not telling the truth on the matter. Tim Cook, it's time to step up and admit that this is a bigger issue than you first thought.

And to the point of people trying to purposely bend their phones or others buying $600 phones just to bend them is, in a word, stupid.

Note 3 here... and ZERO bending concerns on my mind.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
That the guys that had their phones bent because of TIGHT JEANS should forget the phone and start worrying about much more serious stuff ... like the tight jeans they are wearing!!

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
This story is way overblown. So tired of reading people whine and whine about bending a phone. Don't buy one if your fat *** bends your phone in your pocket. All phones, thin ones, will bend with enough force applied.

Phillip Jones

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
Exacty what Ferrari does. If an automotive journalist writes any criticism of a Ferrari, that journalist and associated publication are banned from future Ferrari press events.

Elddar

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
Just walk into an Apple store and look at the display models. Most all of them are bent. It is a bigger issue than Apple is letting on, and will only get worse over time.

Sure, most of the hype around it is people bending it on purpose, but do a little research. There are many forum posts of people reporting it bending in their FRONT pockets (and many more in the back pocket). The number of people experiencing this will only increase over time.

n3m37h

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
People are stupid, the reason for the phone able to bend (should say flex TBH) is so it withstand tight pants (because this is the new BS trend) This phone is not the G-flex that is designed to be bent but to make the phone last longer being as thin as it is.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Way more than the reported 9 people that have this issue. Poor build quality is the bottom line and people eat it up buy it and don't care.

anthony8989

Distinguished
This paragraph doesn't make sense to me:

On the other side of the story, Consumer Reports tested how well the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and competing phones stand up to various forces and found that the smaller iPhone 6 is actually more susceptible to bending than the bigger iPhone 6 Plus. It even did better than some of the competing phones.

What did better, the iPhone 6 - it was better at bending??

rdc85

Honorable
This just reminds me how APC response in tom's finding for the flaw in their product..

comparing to this..... (denials, bands,..)
they are to "cocky" to admit their mistake, if there any flaw it either the user fault or people just making it up..

Apple should learn from APC..
(this also reminds me of SB of microsoft, They seems to have same attitude)

Elddar

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

Flexing to prevent bending is good. Bending and staying bent is bad. It is NOT a design feature.

*If you check out actual users who have a bent 6plus under normal use, a percentage of them also have the screen popping out (not the way you want your phone designed)

This is expected behavior from Apple. If you bother to honestly post a bad review of course they are going to cut you off. At least till they decide how to handle their screw up months later. They want good press at release time so they can sell and the bad news to filter in later. Most sites would be scared to lose all their traffic from NOT having early access to an iPhone press sample. If a site has the balls to call Apple on an issue good for them.

of course toms is just posting this sensationalism for clicks too, but we all know toms "news" has gone to hell.

And the consumer reports test is at the wrong location, and is putting the force on both sides. not considering one side being fixed, or uniform pressure being applied on a curve. It is just a "bend it in the middle" test that isn't even related to the issue... CR just took advantage to get some press

You know, Apple will keep pulling this boycott crap until the users get fed up with their BS and boycott Apple when they put crap like this out. Once you have sold something, why should you care what a web site does with it. And in this case, it was something that has even been widely discussed anyways.
Has anyone hear Apple saying anything about replacing these phones? Eh? Come on now!!

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Oh look, two users (SirKnobsworth turkey3_scratch) actually had something decent to say and they did it in a literate, civilized way. Unfortunately, they sounded a bit pro-Apple. Let's down-vote them, FAST!!! Instead, let's up-vote the illiterate who blasts Apple.

I strongly dislike Apple but this bend-gate is blown out of proportion. Apple may have made a design mistake, but it affects very, very few users. Those users can probably get a refund so that they buy the Note 4 :), a phone which is made of plastic and which probably can withstand elastic stress in a better way.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
This is nothing new. The whole Apple marketing relies on Apple controlling everything, making it (appear) perfect. Limiting their test devices (which themselves are handpicked to be perfect) to publications which review their devices positively, or at least neutrally.

Jakke

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
In response to this childish behaviour from Apple, every tech magazine should start posting videos of bending iPhone 6's... this is no more than a poor attempt to censorship. Let Apple censor everyone, take away test models for everyone and see what publicity stunt that will be!

Status
Not open for further replies.