Apple Announces Haswell MacBook Pro Starting at $1299

Status
Not open for further replies.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Kind of wish the 13 inch version had a dedicated graphics option, would be an instant sale for me. Now I am a stuck between 13" or 15".

After what happened with the iPhone5s I am a bit skeptical about build quality which is why I prefer Mac Books to other PC brands. I need a shell environment, so its either MBP or other laptop with Linux... given the crap plastic laptops a lot of brands are, I am happy to shell out a premium for just a solid build.. outdated hardware or not.

Hopefully the MBP build quality hasn't wavered like the iPhone did.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Awww so cute, people think it's amazing they're one of the richest companies because they sell awesome hardware. I think it's cute people don't understand it's THEIR money they have given for overpriced machines.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

There are actually a lot of informed developers who prefer MBP over other options. Not everyone is a casual student or gamer. MBP makes a lot of sense for mobile business oriented use, or development platforms on-the-go. I buy it for the build quality and battery life.

I couldn't give less of a shit if a plastic space-heater of a laptop by some other brand is cheaper with better hardware. I used to be a Thinkpad groupie, but the chinese ruined that. The X1 carbon last year was my dream laptop, and then it flopped at release. MBP is the only other laptop I have found with a similar build quality to that of the old Thinkpad line.

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

I'm not valuing one company over another, as each have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm fine with PC or Mac and am not a fanboy. I sold my 2010 iMac and built a PC (for gaming, schoolwork) and I don't regret it one bit. I still have my macbook, which is dualbooted with Windows 7 and has served me quite well the last 3 years, with no complaints whatsoever. I'm a student and do not game on it, with occasional photoshop use (seasoned photographer). Yes, Apple products tend to be overpriced compared to their counterparts, but like onichikun said, their build quality, form factor, warranty as well as battery life is what keeps me around. :)

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
You guys summed it up perfectly. Allot of people can't see past their own personal uses. If all you do a game you should probably build or buy something that suites that use case. But personally I value the build quality, support, battery life, reliability, and the performance of my my MBP. I game on my Windows 8 machine, work on my Mac.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
@ap3x...lol...you must be in the atrsy industry, because in my engineering industry...it is all PC, or from what I see...so is the business community.

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Wow these new macbook pro's suck!!!!

$2600 dollars to get the only decent model? The other ones all have integrated graphics...

If you look at the specs on these things it proves how retarded Apple knows their consumers are!

None of them make sense whatsoever for their price vs specs...

Have to all the way up to $2000 for a simple quad core which is a requirement of any decent computer these days...

But the $2000 model is clocked at a pathetic 2.0 GHZ?! Turbo boost 3.2GHZ is not too bad but for $2000 not really that great either...

And if you want a 15 inch model you only get an integrated graphics chip and 256gb storage for $2000 dollars? WHAT THE F???

So you would have to spend $2600 to get ONLY 512gb storage and a 750m graphics card lol!!!

Man I've been waiting for the new macbook pro's for months so I have a laptop too build my iOS builds for the game I'm developing/programming. But wow these things are complete garbage...

I think I'll be just buying the cheapest model possible or even get one used, Apple is such a terrible Company...

Like this laptop for under $1100 would destroy any of the new models for what I would be using it for. Why is Apple so overpriced I'm so disappointed this new lineup looks like a joke to me as a computer enthusiast and I could afford the $2600 model easily... it's just not worth it the thing sucks!

Why can't they just do a 17" mac book pro drop the retina display, drop the SSD, just give it a nice processor and something better than a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M... Apple is a terrible joke of a company!

This laptop is under $1100 and way better than any of the $2000+ dollar macbook "pro" jokes:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233017

They should change the name to Macbook "shmoe" or Macbook "Doh" in the words of Homer Simpson.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

I agree their option breakdown is a bit ridiculous, but they are targeting the quality not the value market, so their economists are assuming they can charge on the upper end of laptop prices and maximize their profits.

That probably (at least partially) explains the wide variance in the tiers of their laptop options. The lower priced models can extract additional consumer surplus from the market, since they are relatively cheap for a "quality" product. They use their market position to their advantage, like any company would.

Hopefully the quality of the laptops are still what they were a few years ago... that would partially justify the premium.

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Oh I must add why would they add 16gb ram to this thing... such a worthless addition when you don't even have over 1 TB storage lol.

It just seems to me they have all their priorities out of place. 16gb ram is pretty much worthless for me and I'm a VERY high end user with multi tasking 2 monitors at all times with tons of programs, tons of internet tabs, etc. I even go up to 3 monitors at times when I switch on the Flatscreen TV, never need more than 8gb ram...

So they decide to get 16gb ram but don't even put in the highest end mobile graphics card, more than 512gb total storage (pathetic) or a 17" monitor!? What the heck is wrong with these people isn't the Macbook pro supposed to be designed to work on?

Why would someone want to work on anything smaller than a 17" monitor with a high end graphics card and at least 1TB storage...

What a joke I don't give a crap about Retina displays such a gimmick, Apple = fail

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I'd be willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. But really a premium laptop for me must include this at minimum:

-17" display
-1 TB HD
-GTX 760M at least, pretty sure a 660M from the $1100 model I linked is better than a 750M at least slightly. Haven't looked it up though..

You should be able to get something like that for under $1500 as proven in the $1100 model I linked...

Does a stupid Retina Display really add over 1000 to the cost? The $1100 model even has SSD AND Solid State lol... I just can't understand Apple's pricing.

I don't think a retina display and some nice external build quality can possibly justify these extreme prices. You would think after delaying these to practically 2014 they would have some nicer specs.

Really hoping these things just bomb with sales and they are forced to significantly lower prices, you'd have to be crazy to get one of these unless you NEED apple to legally do your work like iOS apps.

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Whoops I mean the $1100 model has SSD and regular Hard Drive!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233017

LOL, I think I might just order one of those for my laptop needs so much better in every way!

And then I can get the cheapest used Apple product possible for my iOS game, don't need a beastly Apple computer anyways to build a game for iOS.

I was just expecting the new Macbook Pro's to be worth buying, $2000 dollars should easily get you the $2600 dollar version and that'd still be pretty dang overpriced haha.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Tokadub, I am pretty anti-apple myself, but every point you listed is either completely off base, or completely biased to your own needs. Also, Apple discontinued their 17" models because they didn't sell well.

Also, while that Gigabyte computer is surely more powerful, it's also twice as thick and weighs twice as much. That is targeting the gaming market as a desktop replacement that is somewhat portable. Apple's market is completely different.

cramved

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
a 27 inch display that has the same resolution as the retina would be $800 so getting a decent laptop with a $800 display for around 1500 is a pretty good deal in my opinion

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
@hiruu... I find it funny that you started your comment to me with a lol. I am a Information Security professional with 17years in this business.

Depending on what type of engineering you do it might be perfectly normal for everything to be all PC based. PC exclusivity in business however is old school and many companies have a mixed environment these days including my company (which has 60k employees). Go to any IT Security event you will see Mac's all over the place. Has nothing to do with being artsy. It is a solid machine with an operating system that is based on BSD that requires virtually no maintenance what so ever.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I like the 13" MBP, but why cripple it with a dual core? I was hoping for a quad-core options on this. The 16 GB is perfect.

nagainchains

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I want to get a MacBook Pro 13inch for school in MAY 2014, should i just wait for the Haswell 2014 Macbook pro to get released or will it be after summer?

nagainchains

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I want to get a MacBook Pro 13inch for school in MAY 2014, should i just wait for the Haswell 2014 Macbook pro to get released or will it be after summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.