Apple Announces New MBA and Retina Display MacBook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Only Apple could get away with defining "retina" as .326ppi and then release a .220ppi display and call it "retina".

Of course they get away with it because no real journalism exists anymore.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Apple is calling it the world's highest resolution notebook display with over 5 million pixels and a 220ppi. The Retina display uses IPS technology for a 178-degree wide viewing angle, and has 75 percent less reflection and 29 percent higher contrast than the previous generation.

Blah blah BLAH! Resolution?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hackholm[/nom]Only Apple could get away with defining "retina" as .326ppi and then release a .220ppi display and call it "retina".Of course they get away with it because no real journalism exists anymore.[/citation]

It's just a silly marketing term for a display with shitloads of pixels. Get over it.
2880x1800 is pretty awesome.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Instead of telling us how many pixels it has and its ppi, why don't they just tell us the resolution? Or is it just a juvenile marketing ploy? Yeah, I think that's it.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Wow, I can't believe that most monitors are stuck in the stone age at 1080P and this small screen has higher reselution then the 30 inchers. I might have to buy a mac pro just for the resulution alone out of protest to the pc makers who can't put decent reselutuon screens in their laptops. Of course ill overwrite the crap os with windows 7 :p

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
It's just a silly marketing term for a display with shitloads of pixels. Get over it.
2880x1800 is pretty awesome.

You do know where they got the term "retina" from right? Your eyes have these things called retinas, look it up. Apple's claim with the iPhone 4 intro was that at .326ppi the human retina was no longer able to perceive and pixels at a distance of 12 inches.

By their own definition this is not a retina display as the human retina can clearly distinguish individual pixels 12 inches from your eyes with a ppi of .220.

And yes, 2880x1800 resolution is pretty fracking amazing.

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Macbook Air on Apple.com says it's 1440 x 900 ( http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html )
It's probably not updated yet. I'm not going to buy a computer that I can't fix myself, but now display manufacturers are going to start pushing beyond 1080p so that's a good side effect.

Those specs are up to date. Only the Pros got the new high res display with 2880x1800. The Airs are still 1440x900.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
+1, the term 'retina display' is in regards to the observed clarity or relative pixel density rather than the actual ppi. Anger at apple should be redirected to other display manufacturers for not pushing the envelope.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]It's just a silly marketing term for a display with shitloads of pixels. Get over it.2880x1800 is pretty awesome.[/citation]
Why yes...yes it is.

G

I've never wanted a MBP but this feature set, "retina", 4 core, the inclusion of USB 3 with the Tbolt, and cuda is impressing me. I use adobe products for video and photo. I feel like this would be amazing on the road. The fact that Nvidia is in bed with Mac is noteworthy. Too bad its not OLED! No doubt apple will bleed mac-heads next year for that upgrade.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
the 650m Nvidia is lame, a 670m would have been decent but only a 680m will be able to push all those pixels at native res. which we all know Apple will NEVER put in a Pro.

bmyton

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Who holds their laptop 12" from their face?

At a more normal 24" from your face the 220ppi is well above the ~163 mark set by Apple's "Retina" standard.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]bmyton[/nom]I'm sure games will be awesome while that GT 650M tries to drive all 2880x1800 pixels...The GT 650 M has very similar stats to the Desktop GT 640 - and we all know how well that card does at gaming at 1920x1080I know that gaming is not the target market for the MacBook Pro, but honestly a $2200 piece of hardware should damn well be able to get 40fps in Battlefield 3...[/citation]
2880x1800 is pretty insane. ...but folks that want to play bf3 will not be interested in this apple gear anyways. I'd love to have one, though...but when I finished configuring it it would cost $4,177 and that's just too much to pay for a laptop. Way too much for me...unfortunately.

G

2 things I really like about it:
1) the awesome resolution
2) thinner

3 things that are retarded:
1) no optical drive in the MbP
2) no ethernet in a MbP
3) glossy screen

this is supposed to be a workstation. where the **** is the connectivity?

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Ugh! I'm SO excited. Going to pick up one for each of my kids, my wife, and I. Finally, I can experience the same display on my iPad's and iPhone's on a beautiful, magical MacBook Pro! I love you Apple!!!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]hackholm[/nom]Those specs are up to date. Only the Pros got the new high res display with 2880x1800. The Airs are still 1440x900.[/citation]

As much as I dislike Apple, I approve of 1440x900 in Airs instead of shitty 1366x768 every other manufacturer stuffs in pretty much every laptop up to 15''.

2880x1800 IS awesome, but I'm afraid that puny GT650 will choke on it :D

[citation][nom]mindtool[/nom]3 things that are retarded: 1) no optical drive in the MbP 2) no ethernet in a MbP 3) glossy screen this is supposed to be a workstation. where the **** is the connectivity?[/citation]

MBPs are not workstations, they're overpriced Facebook machines for US hipsters. If they will ever get to a place that doesn't have Wi-Fi OR need a seriously stable connection (I find Wi-Fi too unreliable for remote administration, for example), which is doubtful, they will buy an overpriced Apple USB-to-Ethernet adapter for $30.

xympa

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]mindtool[/nom]2 things I really like about it:1) the awesome resolution2) thinner3 things that are retarded:1) no optical drive in the MbP2) no ethernet in a MbP3) glossy screenthis is supposed to be a workstation. where the **** is the connectivity?[/citation]

It has no Ethernet??? Well, there goes a potential buyer.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]mindtool[/nom]2 things I really like about it:1) the awesome resolution2) thinner3 things that are retarded:1) no optical drive in the MbP2) no ethernet in a MbP3) glossy screenthis is supposed to be a workstation. where the **** is the connectivity?[/citation]
I think leaving the optical drive out was a good move. Most people are moving away from that...you can get the external if you're one of the ones that needs it. If it doesn't come with a ethernet dongle included it'll be an option for those that want it. They discussed reduced reflections/glare of the screen so I guess we'll have to wait on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.