Apple Applies for iWatch Trademark Around the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
@ubercake: It is sad that even people read tomshardware who don't understand the difference between a trademark and a patent. From such people we don't expect a useful comment.

jk_ventolero

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Article for Tomorrow: Apple successfully acquire patent for iWatch.

Article Two days from now: Apple sues [insert company name here] and [insert different company name here] for a total of [insert ridiculously large amount of money] over iWatch patent.

They're going to have to pay me to use the technology. It's galactic. That's my point. They can trademark whatever they want, but when they build, they're using my galactic-patent tech.

Don't even get me started if the clock's face shape is that of a rounded-tipped triangle. That's all mine as well. I own that shape variation. And to top it off, that patent's Universal. I call it the Rounded Triangle®.

Hard to get a laugh around here.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
id be damned if this trademark hasnt already been claimed around half the planet by now. people have been expecting apple to announce an iwatch for years and considering how patent trolls and lawyers have been these last few years, I doubt theyd get this trademark around the world without a fight. I predict onslaught of lawsuits in future.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
you can trademark as much as you want unless you have an actual product. Trademarks does not work as patent in Trademark you have a time frame to come out with the product in question after that time if you haven't come out with any product. anybody who have a product using your trademark with a decent market coverage can invalidate your trademark.

jk_ventolero

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Maaaan, you said it. Look at what I got from this fun-loving chap:

They just make you love 'em more.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
They'll sue everyone with "Watch" on their name (reason: one letter difference). Maybe they'll even sue HiWatch 'cause they sound the same.

Hey... If it's what makes them feel smarter (Or is it 'more smart'? Ha! -jk- I'm sure this will give them something else to do today!) and gets them through the day, more power to 'em!

I guess I should have spelled out that I was poking fun at the 'world' trademark by calling my patent 'galactic'. I should also explain to the same audience that by no means do I own a patent for iWatch technology so Apple will, in reality, not have to license my tech or share their profits gained from iWatch sales with me in any way. I should also explain that I really don't own a registered universal (again carrying the world patent beyond galactic) trademark for the Rounded Triangle®.

Additionally, just so we're all on the same page here, I'm kidding when I say I have just applied for a copyright for this very forum entry.

Apparently, not explaining this in the first place will lead a certain audience to believe you don't know the difference between a patent and a trademark. And if you want to joke about anything, you have to be prepared to offer an explanation for those who don't realize what you're doing. And if you mention patent when an article discusses a trademark and you want to joke about it, you have to explain how the two would tie together in your work of fiction.

iAgree on one hand. I am not sure why a digital watch makes sense when all of it is on a phone you carry anyway. It absolutely makes no sense to me unless I can completely do away with my phone.

iDisagree on the other. Apple is known to brilliantly market its products. They can charge 2x more than anyone else for hardware and convince people its better than something half the price. There is no better marketing team on the planet. They have made the Apple name a status symbol. If they can put the right commercials on TV and get TV/movie stars and Obama (big Apple plugger) to start wearing their iWatch on the red carpet and at other public events, people will want them. This makes me think they will surely sell. People who are fans of Apple products and buy into the message can't seem to help themselves when the latest product is released. Again... Brilliant marketing team. Any company should be envious of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.