Apple Awarded $1 Billion in Samsung Patent Case

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]There fixed it! Samsung proved several of apples "ideas" were taken from other company's, apple stole them and then patented them and finnaly turned on samsung. So steal someones work -> Some other company steals that idea all of a sudden make the first theft legitimate?Apple should not get a dime from this, its the FIRST inventor who apple screwed over in the first place-And some even are so blinded and ask why there is so much apple hate, wake up - open the eyes.[/citation]

Obviously the jurors disagree with you. Have fun drinking that kool-aid - fAndroids are nothing different from iSheeps. Pot calling the kettle black.

P.S. Many of Samsung's technology and patents are directly taken from leading Japanese semiconductor companies of the 70-90's. These companies are all the same. Why worship only one?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Eh, reading hipster Apple hater comments are funny. They only thumbs up anything anti-Apple, they call anyone that doesn't hate Apple, iSheep, fan boys, etc. Yet they never admit to being haters or being completely biased only because Apple is very popular. Its similar to fans of cool local bands, if the band becomes big and famous then all of a sudden that once local cool band is not cool any more...lol. Good times, keep it up haters, I enjoy reading posts from Anti-Sheep.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]mamailo[/nom]Mother nature invented pinch gesture for expressing relative sizes about 100,000 years ago.How that got patented?A case against that BS should be filled.Because once is allowed not matter if a juror is idiot or not, is still legal.[/citation]

Lol, wow. Haters are hilarious and clueless.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Alright I'll bite.Why should Apple provide a modern implementation of their slide to unlock free of charge just because you deem that others are entitled to it? Did Samsung or Google or Motorola invent slide to unlock before Apple did? They sure as heck didn't implement it into Android until Apple implemented it in iOS.Why do most of the fAndroids seem to believe that Google is entitled to any patent that Apple and other companies hold? Patents are there to protect just that - ideas that no one has ever thought of before, or at least, have not implemented them yet. If you think Apple's slide to unlock should be invalidated, then why not produce documents that prove some third party (like Google/Samsung) had this in mind and was actively working to implement this in their OS? In fact, the court provided Samsung with that opportunity, and they could not produce evidence. The only evidence that came out was the contrary, proving that Samsung knew about the patent infringement across these 5 patents. It's one thing to infringe something without knowing; it's something else entirely to simply disregard all established international law and continue infringing.Call me bollocks all you want, but reality is no one's opinion in these comment forums matter. Samsung lost fair and square in a suit. fAndroids need to accept it and move on.[/citation]

Slide to unlock is so obvious though isn't it? were their phone touchscreens without slide to unlock? I don't know but anyway, it's so obvious that if you are going to put a touchscreen on a phone, and you are not going to put a door on the screen, I assume for ease of access, to signify to the phone that it is supposed to be inactive, then you are going to have to have something to prevent any accidental touch of the screen in your pocket being misinterpreted by the phone as intentional user input. Therefore you need some sort of specific touch pattern which is unlikely to happen by accident and it should also be simple for convenience. Hence drawing a single line on the screen. Then once someone has implemented it, and it's a good enough system, even if it's not the best system, if everyone has to come up with something different then it's just going to annoy users that are used to it being a certain way. For instance I'm annoyed that Windows and Mac OS have their close button on different corners of windows from each other. It's annoying and unnecessary and silly. What if not everyone could make keyboards with QWERTY arrangement? There's nothing magnificent about QWERTY arrangement but that's what people got used to now so why change it? it'll just irritate people. Seriously if Apple thinks slide to unlock is so fantastic that it should be patented then I think maybe that's quite embarrassing and possibly an insult to all the intellectuals who actually invent fantastic things. Anyway Apple might win in patents but lose in sales because they might get boycotted by people irritated by their silly whining. Am I right or what?

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Lol, wow. Haters are hilarious and clueless.[/citation]
Describe to someone next to you how a SPIRAL STAIRCASE is like.When and object is compact ?.
Come on, try it.

If you did using circling your fingers and moving your arm up and down in the first case. Facing your palm hands and moving it closer in the second case, any other Homo Sapiens in the world will understand you.No matter their language or nationality.

Is an archetype.

Archetypes are exclusives to the species. If you smile to another human; knows you are friendly but alpha wolf or baboon; will bite you into pulp because think you are dominant/aggressive.

Anybody brain have evolve to recognize several archetypes including 3 gestures for relative size according to the magnitude :
a) Rising arms and placing your hands by roting your elbows
b) Facing palms and moving shoulders
c) PINCHING thumb and finger.

Carl Gustav Jung classified and describe many archetypes (including pinching) in his studies about the Homo Sapiens as Species.

How low the patent office standards are to allow a gesture to be copyrighted .It should be like words or numbers as not subject to apply.
By now patent trolls may be applying for many uses of the hand.What will be used in the future to interact with devices ?, The nose?; Rubbing the chin against the screen?. Probably someone would take those too. Is just too much $$$ to ignore it.

I guess patent office clerks are just ignorants as you are.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
The most valuable company at $600+ billion that doesn't pay it taxes by ditching in a corporate processing center in Reno now gets $1 billion for a rectangle they DIDNT think up and slide to un(lock)? ***holes.

They're not the only ones, this patent nonsense is just the new crazy in culture.

And the foreman of the jury was a patent holder and an engineer. Color me biased. How the &*(^ did he become to be on that jury?

$$$$$$$

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]I am extremely skeptical of this ruling. Mainly because it took only three days. From what I understand, there was a lot of material to sift through and in my personal experience, courts don't move that fast normally.I smell a successful appeal in the coming days.[/citation]
Article states that jurors had to answer 20 pages 700 questions form while going through evidences and counter-evidences and connected counter-counter-evidences. It's sounds more than shoddy to do it objectively and without prejudice in just 3 days.

G

Those of you who thought this is a case of Apple vs a foreign company Samsung is missing the underlying implications here. Most of the so called features that Samsung copied are also features common to Android platform. Samsung is just the poster child of the Android platform. Therefore, this is more an initial skirmish of Apple vs Google, another American company which has created a lot of jobs. Now Google Android platform, which have immense supports from several phone vendors including Motorola, is suddenly not so attractive as using it is open invitation of legal action from Apple.

If you take Microsoft into the account, this whole case become even more interesting as on the surface, Microsoft Windows 8 / phone OS looks quite different from Apple. Google already voiced out awhile ago Microsoft and Apple are ganging up on them. However, given Apple track record, and their hold of the trivial patents which are so generic that it can be twisted to be interpreted to cover a lot of things, can also mean somewhere along down the line Apple will be suing Microsoft for features such as "slide to unlock" etc. Microsoft might be laughing now but Apple is not known to play as a team. They are more used to owning everything and not sharing or licensing to anyone else. Now that they have the cash, and the laws on their side, why not push for total monopoly before anyone notices?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Obviously the jurors disagree with you. Have fun drinking that kool-aid - fAndroids are nothing different from iSheeps. Pot calling the kettle black.P.S. Many of Samsung's technology and patents are directly taken from leading Japanese semiconductor companies of the 70-90's. These companies are all the same. Why worship only one?[/citation]

I find the per-judgment in the reply above really amusing, how old are you? FYI We don't use devices by either provider as the it dep at work finds them both too insecure, we have another solution that i use privately as well. Regardless I find Apples move by patenting others work and then use the others work to stop the main competitor distasteful and it greatly lessens the chance I will become how did you put it an iSheep in the future.

rdc85

Honorable
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]Someone please enlighten me, why is Samsung still selling Retina displays to Apple?[/citation]

well samsung not just about phone division (I bet they also make some military stuff), It will be bad move for them to drag other division into this problems/fight...

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
This is insane!!!
Looks like a loss loss situation to me !!
Maybe Phillips corporation should sue every one for producing Flat Screen displays and CD Players and CD's as they are the ones whom had invented them in the first place !!!
Not to mention Motorola whom Invented the cell phone !!!!!!

jer :)

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hell yeah, Apple! Sue all these fools. Lol. They're getting away with some pretty wack shit here. I'm an Apple fan, but suing over these minute details seems so lame and petty. Dynex should be sued by Toshiba because they're TV's are similarly shaped, and then Chevy should be sued by Ford because they use similar door locking mechanisms.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Regardless of who wina and loses, the consumer pays for the lawyers.

It is worse, intelligent consumers also lose the freedom of choice, and dumb ones such as the Apple fans lose their ability to grow and see the light. Imagine a company that after hoodwinking the lowest level of the technological strata and ripping them off of billions with its shiny crappy hyper advertised products, now insists on patenting: "twist to open" or "slide to open". If you imagine that, then you are imagining Apple. iCrap is a despicable company worthy of being hated as much as the Nazis and their ill-informed parochial narrative on a "master race". Fck u Apple! I will expose your dirt whenever I can. You have been in my evil list for years now, up there with the Nazi propagandist Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]I am disgusted. By the news and by this fanboy. Now, excuse me :33*faith in humanity's criteria: lost*[/citation]

LOL! this makes you lose faith in humanity?

Not the killing in Syria, starvation in sub sahara Africa...

We are discussing a company, not real atrociities...

Android fan boys make fun of Apple fanbois but you go on the Apple forums and no one really makes this much of a ruckus about Android... What makes it even more rediculous is that Android fanboys talk about freedom of choice and openess to do what you want...

UNLESS

Someone exercise that choice to pick something you don't like "Apple" then it's iSheep, etc...

Look up hypocrisy in the dictionary...

P.S. It was obvious to a jury - It's the law, suck it up cupcake

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]TheRooster94[/nom]I can't wait until Apple dies[/citation]

LMAO DIE American company!!! I want a Korean copy cat to win!!

Nice way to reward the company that steals...

I hope you teach your kids to do the same in school, lol

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Regardless of who wins and loses, the consumer pays for the lawyers.

It is worse, intelligent consumers also lose the freedom of choice, and dumb ones such as the Apple's fans lose their ability to grow and see the light. Imagine a company that after hoodwinking the lowest level of the technological strata and ripping them off of billions with its shiny crappy hyper advertised products, now insists on patenting: "twist to open" or "slide to open". If you imagine that, then you are imagining Apple. iCrap is a despicable company worthy of being hated as much as the Nazis and their ill-informed parochial narrative on a "master race". Fck u Apple! I will expose your dirt whenever I can. You have been in my evil list for years now, up there with the Nazi propagandist Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Android fan boys make fun of Apple fanbois

This is not about Apple fanboys and Android fanboys. This is about human freedom and the march of technology. Further, let me correct you about the term Android "fanboys". Android is an open to all platform, not a closed for profit jail for existentially challenged morons looking to market themselves as hip. So calling an individual and Android fanboy because he uses an Android product, is akin to calling someone who likes fresh air a nature fanboy.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
That's ok, because then eventually the court will determine that Apple is a monopoly like they tried to do with Microsoft a while back, then they're screwed. LOL Ohh I can't wait.

The problem is that iCrap is in cahoots with the narrowly owned elite US media, and that so is the American legal system. Think about it, were the USA's legal system not rigged, criminals like Cheney, Condalezza Rice, GW bush, and Wolfowitz, just to mention a few, would have been brought to justice long long ago for sacrificing thousands of innocent Americans at the altar of a lies based war trumpeted as a fight for Western Civilization by rags like the New York Times... So I don't see justice being served in this fight. Though the fact that Samsung won in Korean courts bespeaks a ton ...

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This is not over by a long shot. Let's all keep in mind that Apple has no manufacturing of their own and it is only a question of time until they pi$$ed off enough corporations and make them gang up on them.

I keep hoping that Google stands up to iCrap and joins the fight to preserve freedom in technology.
I also hope that a small percentage of the hundreds of millions of android mobile device users mounts a constant exposure campaign against iCrap and its shiny unserviceable overpriced jail-in-a-moron gadgets.

Here we are basically at a cross road in technology. Either we bring down iCrap, or the march of technology is set back decades... I remain optimistic though that our collective effort can push back Apple and its attempt to rule by deceit after having collected billions from its technologically dumbed-down enablers.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I can understand Apple's Lawsuit against Samsung for certain patent infringements such as the UI. BUT being able to manipulate patent laws to own the rights to... "a rectangular shape with round edges" is absolutely disgusting - even by "American" standards. I have long supported Apple for their innovation (I own a iPod Touch 4th Gen). However this recent lawsuit and verdict is really a huge slap in the face for us consumers; ultimately we are the ones that will lose out on CHOICES. If Apple wants to win the smartphones industry with such a dirt tactic; I absolutely refuse to own Apple Phone. I was hoping for a partial win/loss on both sides in this lawsuit; apple winning the UI and Samsung is forced to change their UI and certain features. BUT NOPE.. a whopping $1.05Billion dollar fine for damages. By the way, anyone else noticed how the Court Case took place IN California? Where the Apple headquarters is LOCATED?

Regardless, I hope Apple LOSSES a lot of support over this ridiculous verdict.

Coffee~

PS: To all the clueless Apple fans out there; will you maintain your loyalty to Apple if they have a monopoly on the smartphones industry and charge $1,000+ USD per phone??

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Its a Sad day for patent law in the US. Everyone take note, you can patent a rectangle w/ round edges. You can patent slide to unlock (which a 12 year old and a programming for dummies could duplicate for free in about a few hours). Those things sure sound that they are worth $1 billion dollars.

Anyone else notice that the leading argument, that the infringement has cost Apple money ... the most valuable company in history ... really showing the hurt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.