Apple Back Selling Old Version of Final Cut Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Can you visualize a world where Microsoft never invented Windows and Mac was widely adopted and is now the leading platform? I would have stuck to MS-DOS.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Can you visualize a world where Microsoft never invented Windows and Mac was widely adopted and is now the leading platform? I would have stuck to MS-DOS.[/citation]

We'd have a very restricted computer world. Everything walled and monetized, very little for free. Basically, the route we're going now, just would have happened faster.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Can you visualize a world where Microsoft never invented Windows and Mac was widely adopted and is now the leading platform? I would have stuck to MS-DOS.[/citation]

Microsoft actually wanted to do away with open internet and get users into its Microsoft Network back in 1995.

And besides instead of Windows we'd probably have some other competing OS like IBM's OS/2 if Apple didn't let its MacOS run on non-Apple hardware.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Antitrust laws! They didn't break up Microsoft - but they totally would have done so to Apple with its closed ecosystem.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The PC world is what it is because of BOTH Microsoft and Apple. I've never owned an Apple Computer but I've certainly benefited by the sense of competition MS always felt, the need to continue improving their product to compete with an (inarguably) innovative competitor.

Apple isn't perfect, they've got complete control of their product from hardware to apps, yet they barely leverage that capability, leaving Microsoft to innovate on the 'comprehensive user experience across devices' front with cool tech demo's like 'MS Surface'.

Microsoft on the other hand seems incapable of broadening their reach beyond the PC (and now Console). Handhelds have frustrated their every effort to break in.

So they both have contributed to the ubiquitous computing world we live in, and they both have huge potential that's not being realized... but I don't think we'd be where we are without them both.

G

Someone is forgetting about bulletin board systems that traded software like crazy.

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
sometime it doesn't matter what you like, but rather what everyone else using. sure you can switch out to using different app, but your business partner still need to read the content you create. which pretty much force you to using final cut, much like k4 for publishing.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
hhahahahahahaha i can get all that for...listen up... FREE!!! WHERE?? here http://thepiratebay.org/ .....duuuhhhh why paying 1000 BUCKS for a software?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
"Final Cut X was afforded mixed reviews from users"

Um, no it wasn't. It was universally panned and hated by users.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
so version 9 costs 1000$ with next to no student discount.
and version 10 costs 300$

call me crazy but if ever used videoediters, id go to something like... adobe before i pay that much for final cut.

lengjai

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Effectiveness:
Sony Vegas > Adobe Premiere > Final Cut Pro

Cost:
Adobe Premiere < Sony Vegas < Final Cut Pro

Pay more for less... No wonder FCP is Mac-only.

Ditching old features just speaks of irresponsibility on Apple's part. I'm sure there are millions of people with older projects that have been jeopardized by the new Final Cut.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]EVILNOD[/nom]sometime it doesn't matter what you like, but rather what everyone else using. sure you can switch out to using different app, but your business partner still need to read the content you create. which pretty much force you to using final cut, much like k4 for publishing.[/citation]
Exactly. I work for a University television station that used Final Cut Pro. All of our professors are familiar with Final Cut Pro, all of our students are taught Final Cut Pro in their classes, and of our labs are equipped with Final Cut Pro. Nearly everyone in the department likes the new features in Final Cut Pro X, but the new features don't make up for the missing features.

Sure we could switch to Avid, but that would cost the University hundreds of thousands of dollars. And money is something the education system doesn't have right now. We don't want to move to Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas because Final Cut Pro and Avid are the broadcast industry standard. No point in teaching students editing software they will rarely use in industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.