Apple CEO Likens Microsoft Surface to a Flying Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Quote:
"I suppose you could design a car that flies and floats, but I don't think it would do those things very well."

I wonder if Tim said the same thing to Steve Jobs right before Steve took the stage to announce the very first iPhone that "(It) Is an iPod, a phone, and an internet browser!" I remember he kept saying that over and over again.. :p

G

i have update my win 7 cant complain now saveing to buy me a 23 multitouch screen to go with it and i will buy my wife awindows slate so she can use it to her work sence she is a teach and did not whant ipad for working

G

Despite pre-orders, Tim Cook has a low opinion? THose things have very little to do with each other - Microsoft has a big following, so the preorders will sell out. Tim Cook has used one, and is unimpressed. Only the most tangential relationship.

G

No first-hand experience = no valid opinion = total bias = bullshit.

G

Can't carry a tablet in my pocket. I'll take my Samsung phone and my trusty Dell D630. My d630 cost $200 refurbed. Parts are cheap. Runs W7. I'm a Systems Dude with (read em) 40 years experience. When they come up with a 3gz quad core 4GB 500GBSD 14" tablet that runs W8 for under $500 I'll buy one. Oh one more thing . A 14" screen means 14" not a 2" wide bezel. Looks like my next tablet will be a 5.5" Samsung phone.

G

Surface and Windows8 are no "flying car" at all.

It's a very poor attempt and combining 2 things that really didn't need to be combined at all: Making a desktop computer act like a very poor table. Making a tablet act like a very poor desktop.

G

comparing it to a car that drives, a plane that fly's, and a boat that goes in water! I F'n WANT this thing! hell to the yeah! man. Thanks for the heads up Timmy!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]chembles[/nom]Despite pre-orders, Tim Cook has a low opinion? THose things have very little to do with each other - Microsoft has a big following, so the preorders will sell out. Tim Cook has used one, and is unimpressed. Only the most tangential relationship.[/citation]
No, Tim Cook didn't use one.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
"I haven't personally played with the Surface. But from what I've read it is a fairly compromised, confused device,"
Wimp. I'm sure if you try the device, you won't go back. What are you afraid of?

Also, there seems to be this habit now of Apple shooting the middle finger at everyone. I'm not sure if this will go well with geeks. They used to phrase everything in a positive voice. It's getting to where Steve Ballmer is talking more like Jobs than Cook. Jobs would have said something along the lines of "I understand where they are coming from. However, we took the time and effort to make sure we have something that the user would enjoy".

sheepsnowadays

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Yes this device is super confusing, I am an isheep and my IQ is only 91 so I can't figure out how work it. Do i touch the screen? Do I type on the keyboard? I am so confused

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Time will settle and show us the winner. I eager to try Surface, hopefully BestBuy or Futureshop have it in stock today.
-IvanTO

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I wasn't going to buy one until I heard the flying car comment. I am in.
Silly Apple. They tried suing Samsung into the ground but only brought attention to Samsungs products.
Apple would be well served to STFU about the competition especially if the competition beats the hell out of Apple's product. i.e. GS3, Surface. The Surface pro will be highly adopted by business as it is more than a toy. However it will also work well as a toy. Apple sounds worried and they should be.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]Competitor CEO says a device is bad? Sounds like said competitor is worried......[/citation]
I've been saying it ever since they launched the surprise iPad refresh. Apple finally figured out they can't dictate market demand, and that people really do want what they say they want.

The cheap, 7" tablets have really eaten into the tablet market share. Apple is coming to regret Jobs' comments when he said they'd have to ship sandpaper with a smaller tablet so people could file down their fingers to use the smaller screens (how he figured people used his 3.5" phone screen is beyond me if he thinks 7" is too small).

Apple refused to service a market segment, and now they're late to the game with an overpriced product. Surface is the first really innovative tablet since the iPad, so they time a new iPad launch with it to try to steal some of Microsoft's thunder.

It's pretty obvious to me that Apple is starting to take the competition seriously.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I guess Apple is pretty pissed off at Microsoft, but Cook could have been a lot more graceful by praising his competitor's product and the effort exerted to produce it while at the same time touting the advantages of his product.

Status
Not open for further replies.