Apple CEO Talks Samsung Battle, Tablets, Wireless Ambitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Here's what I think about this...

He also referred to its strategy of staying away from netbooks, which were "flimsy products with crappy, cramped keyboards."

He got one thing right. Ultrabooks and tablets ultimately destroy the need for netbooks.

"If you think about Android, it's more like the Windows PC model. The operating system comes from company A. Company B is doing some integration work, and maybe the services come from yet somewhere else. I think we know the kind of customer experience that produces."

Thank God for this "Windows PC model". I get to choose what I want. I might like the OS but not the hardware it comes with or vice versa... so I get to choose both. Screw you for thinking that's bad, Cook.

But we want people to have their own ideas and invent their own stuff.

You can't limit making something to just one company. What was Samsung supposed to do when tablets became popular, try to convince people to buy TVs or pressure cookers instead? Besides, Apple likes to jump on an idea, market it to the point where everyone buys it and then claim inventing it and trying to forbid everyone else from doing it.

"So the changes - it's not a matter of going from no collaboration to collaboration. We have an enormous level of collaboration in Apple, but it's a matter of taking it to another level."

I'm amazed at how it's possible to deliver no meaning whatsoever with two seemingly coherent and grammatically correct sentences.

halcyon

Splendid
Android needs iOS and vice versa. The I think they both play off one another, yet are unique enough to market to different. populations. I don't understand why Apple thinks they can't coexist. I guess that's human nature.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
After seeing a picture of the Galaxy phone right beside the iphone, I don't entirely blame them for sueing. The Galaxy phone is a direct replica. Square homescreen buttons, a bottom bar, even the model of the phone is the same...

I mean holy shit its just a direct exact ripoff.

If you created the first device to have this look which turned out to be a highly loved look, back in 2007.. then your rival does the EXACT same thing to take customers.. you'd be pissed too.

Samsung is just being the "China" to Apple products - copying the same design but calling it samsung instead of apple.

Makes ya wonder. Why couldn't they just put their heads together and create a different menu? instead of saying

"If it works for apple, we'll do it"

... jee man.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]"It is awkward. I hate litigation. I absolutely hate it."Then why not stop all these stupid lawsuits. What a bunch of BS.[/citation]
Leftovers of Steve Jobs maybe?

You have to remember that lawsuits take a LOT of time.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
--"It is awkward. I hate litigation. I absolutely hate it."
then stop suing everyone.

--If you think about Android..... I think we know the kind of customer experience that produces.
yeah, the kind that outsells yours. lol.

halcyon

Splendid
Its a problem. If they just stop all the litigation (even if Cook really would like to) that may be seen as "We don't care anymore." and set a precedent they don't want to set.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
tablet-optimized apps is one reason, he noted

These apps are not optimized for a tablet that is less than 10 inches in size since 10 inches should be the minimum, as SJ have said. So why the iPad mini?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Android needs iOS and vice versa. The I think they both play off one another, yet are unique enough to market to different. populations. I don't understand why Apple thinks they can't coexist. I guess that's human nature.[/citation]

LOL, Android stopped needing iOS a long time ago. iOS is still behind in features that Android has had for years.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]Leftovers of Steve Jobs maybe?You have to remember that lawsuits take a LOT of time.[/citation]

And? It doesn't take " a LOT of time" to end them.

Drop the case, not hard to do. The fact they don't is proof his words are typical PR double speak.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]LOL, Android stopped needing iOS a long time ago. iOS is still behind in features that Android has had for years.[/citation]
What about all the features iOS has that Android lacks? If you can't name several major features than you have no business making your original statement since you clearly know nothing about iOS.

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Interesting.

"Collaboration is essential for innovation"

Then he goes on to say, "The operating system comes from company A. Company B is doing some integration work, and maybe the services come from yet somewhere else."

Are you trying to imply that Apple is no longer innovative because they won't collaborate and integrate with other companies?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]After seeing a picture of the Galaxy phone right beside the iphone, I don't entirely blame them for sueing. The Galaxy phone is a direct replica. Square homescreen buttons, a bottom bar, even the model of the phone is the same...I mean holy shit its just a direct exact ripoff. If you created the first device to have this look which turned out to be a highly loved look, back in 2007.. then your rival does the EXACT same thing to take customers.. you'd be pissed too.Samsung is just being the "China" to Apple products - copying the same design but calling it samsung instead of apple.Makes ya wonder. Why couldn't they just put their heads together and create a different menu? instead of saying "If it works for apple, we'll do it"... jee man.[/citation]

1. The home button is rectangle
2. Bottom bar? wtf are you talking about, unless you mean capacitive buttons that are NOT on the iPhone
3. Samsung has been using similar naming schemes with its other feature phones too

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]What about all the features iOS has that Android lacks? If you can't name several major features than you have no business making your original statement since you clearly know nothing about iOS.[/citation]
Touch-to-Share, better NFC & Google Wallet, Flash support, ability to set default apps, alternate keyboards, better app updates. Just to mention a few.

"[Some] of these are confusing, multiple OSs with multiple UIs"

Yeah, Timmy, but at the same time on the same device. You're really twisting it here to make it sound more complicated than it is. One person only uses one device with one OS (you don't use 2 different phones at the same time, and if you do, you shouldn't really complain about the multitude of OSes).
"Cook offered a $2 million monthly pay package"
That's really obscene, it only means the dude really wanted to get out until he was made an offer he couldn't refuse. Still, remains obscene. I wouldn't brag about it.

"It is awkward. I hate litigation. I absolutely hate it."
Hey, I got a novel idea: STOP DOING IT!
"If you think about Android, it's more like the Windows PC model"
He only got that right, although for the wrong reasons: Android is infinitely customizable, just like one's PC.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]That's why Samsung just lost a billion dollarsfor copying Apple ideas..lol[/citation]

You mean Samsung lost in the US during some very shady court sessions while remarkably most other courts had Apple thrown out. Even more funny is that the patents didn't involve real technology but rather generic design patents. So TunaSoda is right you know - Apple only glue others existing techs together in a shiny case with a walled in software echo system and then sells it for a premium to the tech impaired.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"We love competition. But we want people to have their own ideas." When have you had you're own ideas Apple? Everything you ever created has been some ones ales idea. Mable you would have some if you would not spend 4 times what you do on R&D on legal stuff.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Don't bother saying any positive about Apple the Andrdoid fanboys will swoop in and thumb you down..lol[/citation]
I still can't seem to spend any time trying to fit into the crowd. I know the many folks here are on the Apple-hate wagon. However, I'm finding myself more and more agnostic, though I'm still enjoying JellyBean myself.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Cook seems as much a psychopath as Jobs. Can he really believe what he is saying? Samsung should cut them off when their contract is up. You don't shit where you eat and you don't piss off your biggest supplier when there is no alternative. idiot also starts with i.

Status
Not open for further replies.