Apple CEO Tim Cook: Patent Wars Are a Pain in the Ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The vast majority of those are on standards-essential patents. This is an area where the patent system is broken today," he explained, adding that no one should be able to get a patent based on a standards-essential patent."
Kinda like the square with round edges, eh, Timmy boy?

More PR bull$hit. He thrives in that environment, that's what a patent troll like them does.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]only one thing to say "THE ONE WHO SMELT IT DEALT IT"[/citation]

Absolutely right!
Pot and Kettle... if it is black ;-)

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]only one thing to say "THE ONE WHO SMELT IT DEALT IT"[/citation]

Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs. His actions up to this point have painted a picture of a good leader, and reasonable person. Until he starts acting like an ass, I'm going to continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Apple is a huge patent troll considering its ongoing litigation (pick your favorite competing iPhone & iPad manufacturer) and explain to me Mr. Cook why you would care? Apple has $97 billion cash and most likely has a legion of attorneys to represent it in any legal issues so money and litigation labor shouldn't be a problem.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Cook said Apple wants other companies to develop their own products, not just take credit for Apple's work.

Is he so blind to actually believe this? Most of Apple's "innovations" are just stolen from other companies. With the exception of a small number of ideas, the vast majority of Apple's success is based on refining the ideas of others (and marketing them of course). Does he actually believe the Apple hype or is he just feeding the fanboys?

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
So when apple sues someone its to protect their hard work, but when someone sues apple they are doing it just to be a dick? Sounds sort of like a double standard to me, but i could be wrong, after all i am not apple

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"Well, it is a pain in the ass," Cook responded when Kara asked him if patent suits had an impact on innovation. He goes on to say that Apple doesn't want to be the developer for the world. Cook said Apple wants other companies to develop their own products, not just take credit for Apple's work. When Walt Mossberg pointed out that Apple isn't just suing people but also getting sued, Tim Cook said that was different."

Funny isn't this exactly what Apple does?

G

Kara Swisher? Isn't this the same lady who frequently interrupted Steve Jobs and Bill Gates with toilet jokes? It was once in a lifetime event to see two legends together thoughtfully expressing in public and she blew it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]"Well, it is a pain in the ass," Cook responded when Kara asked him if patent suits had an impact on innovation. He goes on to say that Apple doesn't want to be the developer for the world. Cook said Apple wants other companies to develop their own products, not just take credit for Apple's work. When Walt Mossberg pointed out that Apple isn't just suing people but also getting sued, Tim Cook said that was different."Funny isn't this exactly what Apple does?[/citation]
What, you didn't know that Apple invented black rectangles with touch screens? I mean, it's not like Palm Pilot predates the iPhone and iPod touch by a decade or anything...

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Tim Cook is a much better person than Steve Jobs. He's rational and doesn't take action based upon emotion, and I respect Apple much more for that. So much so that I could even see myself buying Apple products, which is a huge change from the past.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
The CEO doesn't represent a companies decisions entirely, I would say Tim Cook has actually done a lot to mitigate the patent trolling since he has taken up the reigns. He hasn't gone actively trolling like Stevie boy did.

diagothecat

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
What, you didn't know that Apple invented black rectangles with touch screens? I mean, it's not like Palm Pilot predates the iPhone and iPod touch by a decade or anything...

and of course it's not like the Newton didn't predate the Palm. With a large number of employees leaving Newton and starting up Palm

diagothecat

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

and of course it's not like the Newton didn't predate the Palm. With a large number of employees leaving Newton and starting up Palm

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Translating Tim Cook: "In other words, what I really mean is, Apple should be allowed to sue everyone, and no one should be allowed to sue Apple. Because, even though my other face just said that Apple does not want to be the developer of the world, Apple already is the developer of the world and intends to stay that way by whatever means necessary."

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]jungleboogiemonster[/nom]Tim Cook is a much better person than Steve Jobs. He's rational and doesn't take action based upon emotion, and I respect Apple much more for that. So much so that I could even see myself buying Apple products, which is a huge change from the past.[/citation]
Personally, I think you have an interesting definition of "better person." Not taking $75M in dividends (right now anyway), giving $100M out of $100B to charity. Hmm, I guess those acts count as being a better person even though their monetary impact on the whole of crApple is, at best, fractional. IMHO, so far, they are moves that speak better to the public, but have little substance other than to speak better to the public. Honestly, those moves might have been suggested to him by crApple's PR department.

For me, it is going to take much more than that.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Dyson. Bose of the vacuum world.[/citation]
Too bad Bose is the "Apple" of the speaker world. People hear the name Bose and assume they are better. I would much rather get a set of Polk Audio monitor 70's on Newegg when they're on sale (which is fairly often) and get amazing sound for a fraction of the price that Bose has anything for. Also Bose has very artificial sound that is totally eq'd improperly from a manufacturer setting which makes them hard to get flat response.

Although Dyson does make some fantastic vacuums lol.

If you know about a patent infringement and do nothing about it then you loose the right to defend your patent. so companies like Apple HAVE to be in patent suits (granted they take this to extremes).

However, while other companies buy up patents and then rent them out to other companies, apple develops or buys up IP and then just sits on it as a tool to remove competition from the market (especially foreign markets that have patent laws that are not 'broken'). The chief example of this would be an article on Tom's last year about how MS makes ~$5-10 on each and every android phone sold on the market because of the patent deals they have with Google, while Apple and Samsung both try killing each-other on a daily basis. One side thrives because of the deal they have struck, while the other side just festers and gives money away to lawyers.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Whoever supplied it, denied it.

Oh wait, that's Google...or, is it?

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Simple solution to the patent crisis:

Patents should not be transferable and cannot be sold, automatically expire when patent holder dies or company is sold and/or becomes eminent domain after 14 years.

Problem solved.

G

QUOTE: If you know about a patent infringement and do nothing about it then you loose the right to defend your patent. so companies like Apple HAVE to be in patent suits (granted they take this to extremes).

END OF QUOTE

That is FALSE. What you are talking about is infringement of TRADEMARK not of PATENT. Not the same law. And this applies to every country that has patent law. Do some research dude before spilling out false stuff.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I would like to point out that the worlds most valuable IT company Apple spends about 500 million / year on R&D, while Nokia spends about 4 billion. Many of the patents become standard-essential by being a better implementation, which has required considerable investment in R&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.